SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Keeping your aging leather soft and supple

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  pj's 850 
#1 ·
Ok well I think I have found a good product for my leather, its made by imperial and supposed to be the best. Anyway, I asked before about it but got no response. What do you guys put on your leather, did I get no response because you dont really condition your leather. I sure hope not, that would be sacraligious, you owe it to the cow who gave his hide for your seat to keep them soft. Clean them too, its important. Wonder what will stop leather from wrinkaling, scuffing, staining, etc. try regular cleaning and conditioning. This should be done once a month or once every two months. Atleast once every year. I tried a sample of that Imperial stuff, its real expensive, $23 a bottle, but it softened right up, and left no oily residue. By far better than anything else I have used so far.

#3 ·
Rough leather, just doesnt sound good. I have tried Lexol, its alright, but doesnt really soften hard leather at all. Its more of a preservative. The cleaner they make works great, and I use that, but the conditioner isnt that great. There are better conditioners. The Meguires is nice, yeah it is Thick, and it leaves a tacky greasy residue, but it doesnt make the leather soft too. Thanks for the response, lets see what else people use. I wonder if anyone has tried using lard or something, I know that sounds odd, but most of the good conditioners soften by returning the fat to the leather, thats what makes it soft.

#5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by pj's 850:
Ok well I think I have found a good product for my leather, its made by imperial and supposed to be the best. Anyway, I asked before about it but got no response. What do you guys put on your leather, did I get no response because you dont really condition your leather. I sure hope not, that would be sacraligious, you owe it to the cow who gave his hide for your seat to keep them soft. Clean them too, its important. Wonder what will stop leather from wrinkaling, scuffing, staining, etc. try regular cleaning and conditioning. This should be done once a month or once every two months. Atleast once every year. I tried a sample of that Imperial stuff, its real expensive, $23 a bottle, but it softened right up, and left no oily residue. By far better than anything else I have used so far.
i use Zaino's Z9 and z10 seems to work for me

#6 ·
everyone uses Zaino anymore. I tried it, I dont like it as much as the other stuff. The stuff I like actually feeds the leather, and you can tell. You could litteraly put the who bottle on it and the seats would soak it up. After using it the seats are wiped down, and will have a very soft, almost skin like feel. I think thats an odd way of putting it, but seriously, its amazing how much softer it made the leather. You can now feel the areas where the leather was folded over on the edges. Seems in the leather seats, which used to be hard as a rock in certain places, is very soft now. The lower back section,which felt soft bought pulled tought, now feels softer, has a smooth lustre too it. I also think I stick in my seats better, I dont mean that it is sticky, but because its so soft, you dont slide around.

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by pj's 850:
everyone uses Zaino anymore. I tried it, I dont like it as much as the other stuff. The stuff I like actually feeds the leather, and you can tell. You could litteraly put the who bottle on it and the seats would soak it up. After using it the seats are wiped down, and will have a very soft, almost skin like feel. I think thats an odd way of putting it, but seriously, its amazing how much softer it made the leather. You can now feel the areas where the leather was folded over on the edges. Seems in the leather seats, which used to be hard as a rock in certain places, is very soft now. The lower back section,which felt soft bought pulled tought, now feels softer, has a smooth lustre too it. I also think I stick in my seats better, I dont mean that it is sticky, but because its so soft, you dont slide around.

wow..what a product.. what does that? i havent had one yet that does that
but zaino seems to work better than most of the off the shelve kinds

#8 ·
Im refering to the Imperial leather product. I tried Zaino, Maguires, Connoly hide food, etc. Then I broke down the Imperial leather conditioner, which at 32 dollars a bottle is expensive, but Its worth it. When figure the cost of a car, the cost of replacing the seats, and how important a well kept up car is, I think its worthwhile. I also plan to keep this car for a while, atleast as a sorta project car, so taking care of it now is worthwhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.