SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the mesh cargo divider, thinking that was more elegant than the flip down steel barrier. Unfortunately, one of our dogs quickly figured out that it could get around the gap between the mesh and the side of the car. Does anyone know if the steel barrier extends closer to the sides of the car - in other words, is it wider than the mesh cargo barrier? It looks like it is wider, but I can't quite tell.<p>Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Keeping the dogs in the back? (ktm_525)

Not too small - medium-sized cocker spaniel mix. He's about 25 pounds and, unfortunately, a little too cunning. Our Belgian Shepherd (45 lbs) stays back there, no problem.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Re: Keeping the dogs in the back? (mathfuzzy)

I doubt your cocker could get around the steel barrier. It fits very close to the sides of the car. The steel barrier is also held in place by a gas strut, so there is no way either of your dogs will be able to move it either.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Re: Keeping the dogs in the back? (BarentsBlueV50)

Hi I got the steel barrier for my German Shepherd. When we first got it he gave it a couple of big shoves with his nose and it didnt budge and so he is now happy to stay put in the back. <p>The barrier is kind of shaped around the rear headrests and there is a space of about 7 inches between the bottom of both head rests and the side window. going upwards I suppose there is a gap of about 3-4 inches between the bottom of the seat and the barrier and this opening gets larger as it gets closer to the side windows (same both sides) and the bottom of the struts. <p>I wouldnt think a cocker (even one named Houdini) could get through the opening though as this smallish opening is elevated from the floor the height of the back seat. That is she cant lie down and squirm through the hole rather she would have to jump up front paws onto the back seat and maybe stick her head through (on an angle) but then the rest of her body is below. I just cant see how it could be done. <p>I spose its a matter of taste but I really like the way it looks. Solid like the rest of the car and not dingle dangally / flimsy. You can just flip it up from the rear cabin to the rear if you dont want to look at it. I leave mine down all the time. <p>If you have a dog in the back regularly I also have the plastic molded rear area tray which keeps the carpet real clean. <p>Cheers<br>Hatdriver

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Keeping the dogs in the back? (Hatdriver)

Thanks for the help. It sounds as though the steel barrier is the right tool to keep both pooches back there where they belong. The cargo net just left too big a gap. Also good to hear about the moulded tray. In the absence or better information, I got the fabric liner for the entire cargo area, which is doing the job, but seems not so simple to clean and it's not clear how long it's going to stand up to daily wear from the pooches.<p>Anyone want to buy a cargo net?

·
Registered
223 Posts

Hi,<p>the plastic tray is not real stiff plastic rather kind of flexible and just rigid enough to stay kind of straight when you hold it horizontal at one end. It fits better light a glove. You just pull it out hose it down and leave it to dry in the sun.<p>because its kind of flexible the dog doesnt slide around too much and in any event there are parallel ridges running longways for grip. Noting your experience with useless options though take note that there are two of them. One that isnt that good and the one i have. Mine has XC70 moulded in large letters on the back and comes halfway up the sides (and back) so on either side there is a moulded wheel arch as it half covers them also. I find that the only hair i get on any carpet in the back is that on the tailgate itself which is not much anyway.<p>I do a lot of miles and am exchanging my 08' model in '10 for another xc70 so these (and my volvo blinds) will be simply removed from the old car and put in the new one. <p>Cheers<br>Hatdriver

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

Our 45 lb Sussex can go around the cargo net in a bling of the eye. We threw in the towel a long time ago and just bought a pad for the rear seat. It's easier than fighting it, and he seems happy, which is all that counts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hatdriver,<p>thanks for the recommendation about the rear liner. I was looking at that, but it looked as though the plastic was hard and slick. I appreciate the advice.<p>Best,<p>Mathfuzzy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

For posterity, I installed the steel barrier today and it does the trick. It's wider than the mesh cargo divider, extending to fill the gap that remained with the mesh divider. The (often muddy) dogs are now back where they need to be, driving home after a swim in the local pond.<p>Thanks to everyone for the helpful info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts