SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Kai,

I tried looking for your mod list and couldn't find it. I was wondering what size rotors you are using in your big brake kit? Also, I forget but is it the AP Racing kit from $tealin? TIA.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Re: Kai's mod list (mike_c70)

Engine:
Custom Tuned ECU. A'PEXi AVC-R. Dastek Unichip AFC.
T3/T04E Ceramic Ball bearing turbo. Super 54 trim with .63 A/R Stage III Turbine 3" Mandrel bent downpipe 3" Race cat by Random Technology or 3" test pipe for track use. Full 3" piping with 3" straight through Dynomax Ultra Flow muffler for mid section. Blitz NUR Spec muffler 4.5" Tip. A'PEXi muffler silencer. HKS External Wastegate. Extrude Hone'd exhaust manifold. Hand ported and polished inlet manifold. Camshafts from '98 B5254FS M4.4 , inlet & exhaust. Engine blueprinted and balanced. 5 angle (3-2 angle) valve job. Blitz blow-off valve. Cunningham connecting rods. Ross pistons. Polished crankshaft, big bore throttle body, custom cold air intake, reroute IC pipe. Battery relocated to the trunk... 440 cc/min RC Engineering fuel injectors, WALBRO fuel pump, and GReddy EGT, boost gauge. Autotech IC upgrade. Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator, SAM LSD. Clutchmaster reinforced pressure plate + kevlar semi-race clutch.

Suspension:
iPd anti-sway bars. Painted Silver OMP strut tower brace. KW Variant 2 coilover kit. HRE 18x8.5 446 wheels, 225/40/18 Bridgestone S-03.

Brake:
FRONT: Brembo 4 piston big brake upgrade with: Ferodo front pads, stainless steel brake lines, ATE DOT 4 fluid, 320mm cross-drilled rotors. REAR: PBR/Axxis pads, Brembo cross-drilled &slotted rotors Folia Tech glossy black painted calipers.

Exterior:
HID 5500K in MY'03 headlamp with projector low beam conversion. Carmate Premium White Zero 9005 bulbs, Clear corner lenses, clear side turning signals. MS Design Grille. 35% Window tint.

Interior:
MOMO DTM shift knob, MOMO pedals. Custom mounted AVC-R @ original coin holder. V70R Aluminum panel.

Stereo upgrades: Alpine MDA-W977J, Brax X2400, Dynaudio X260, X360 crossovers, CHA-S624 Alpine 6 CD-changer, JL 1000/1, JL 10W7, Yellow Top Optima battery relocated to the trunk.

Coming soon: 355mm big brake kit.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Kai's mod list (The_one_n_only)

Cool. The reason I was asking is because I was thinking about getting the Volvo 320mm upgrade kit (since it's already developed). I'm getting quotes right now if it's not too expensive. My question is: IS it possible just to swap out calipers because Volvo's still uses their regular 1 piston application. I'm thinking at least 2 pistons. I'm sure it's not a simple swap job but maybe since I have the rotors and the brackets, some company like fastbrakes or wilwood might be able to make the caliper fit. It's easier than sending them a spindle to get one done custom made.

Oh. and another thing... If we swap out to bigger brakes in the front, is it possible to swap out the fronts to the back? I assumes the back is smaller than the front.

[Modified by mike_c70, 9:52 AM 11-13-2002]

·
Registered
519 Posts

Hey Mike:

I don't know what year your car is, but on the S/V70's the stock front rotor is a vented 280mm rotor and the rear has a solid 295mm rotor. There were some C70's (and S/V70's for that matter) that had the factory 302mm rotors in the front.

I think in 99 the R's went to a standard 302mm rotor in the front, but I don't know if the C/S70's did as well. Hope this helps.

I don't see why you couldn't put the front brakse on the rear, but I am not for sure. I haven't investigated. I will let someone else answer that for you definitely.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts

What do you mean by 1 pistons? Do you mean 2? Can't be just one....right?

The front and the rear brakes are completely different, waiting for the new R's rear brake to do the conversion is probably more practical than trying to retro fit the front brake to the rear.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Kai's mod list (larryo108)

Hey Larry,

I have a 1998 C70. I haven't actually looked what size rotors my car has (too lazy), so it might have the 302mm rotor on it. What I don't understand is why would you have bigger rotors in the back than the front for a FWD drive car? I thought the brake bias was in the front so naturally the rotors should be larger in the front right? I'm confused.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

quote:

What do you mean by 1 pistons? Do you mean 2? Can't be just one....right?

The front and the rear brakes are completely different, waiting for the new R's rear brake to do the conversion is probably more practical than trying to retro fit the front brake to the rear.
Well, the standard caliper we have has one piston to drive the brake pad. I believe your AP kit has a 4 piston caliper (2 on either side of the pad). It would be very cool to do the big brake kit conversion for the front and back all together. The question is the spindle of the C70 the same as the S60? I mean, is it a direct bolt on from one car to the next or are modifications necessary?
The reason for me going 320mm is to maintain OEM parts in case the rotors wear out and such (eventually they will) with out costing an arm and a leg. I can't imagine how much stillen would charge for replacement rotors. Plus pads are OEM. I just don't want to use the ugly stock caliper, hence the possibility of bolting on an aftermarket (let's say porsche caliper) on.

·
Registered
519 Posts

I thought the same exact thing. I was reading in the Volvo Performance Handbook (or something like that) by Paul Grisham about it.

The reason he gives is that the front rotors are ventilated while the rear rotors are not. Therefore the front rotors will dissipate the heat better than the rear and you (or Volvo in this case) can use a smaller front rotor.

The caliper on the front also looks larger than the rear caliper so maybe that has something to do with it.

However, I think it has something more to do with the heat buildup and the ability to dissipate it. If your rotor is not ventilated I would assume you need a larger rotor to minimize the fade.

I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Kai's mod list (larryo108)

It makes to an extent eventhough it's ventilated, the brake bias is still towards the front brakes. Unless the ventilated rotors really make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Kai, I know that your brembo conversion is definately out of my price range, see as though I am only in high school, but how much did it cost? And does anyone know what size the rotors are on my 98 S70 T5?

·
Registered
6,564 Posts

Yeah $tealin kit is the one I have. I think Mov'it is offering the same rotor size for their kit, but with slightly bigger calipers. And supposedly the AP kit is not that much beefier than the Mov'it 911 Turbo caliper kit.

I asked Mov'it US distributor to see if they can custom the yellow 6 pistons 350 mm brake kit, but they were giving me bunch of run around....or simply telling me they don't have time to develop such kit yet. I thought something like that is as simple as making the right hat/adapter for the caliper.

I'm hoping either Stop Tech or someone will come through and make a bigger brake kit for our cars. And Mov'it was claiming that Stoptech is using the rear calipers of 911 turbo instead. But as far as I could see, the Stoptech guys seem to have pretty decent professionalism, not sure if they would just lie about something like that.

I seriously need some better brake now, it is just overpowering the brake now...... If I do find a better kit, I'll be selling this one then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts