SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I re-flashed with the IPD ECU tune this morning and went for a test drive. Throttle response and power delivery curve were as expected, but the amount of power didn't feel right. The car didn't feel super fast before, but I had attributed that as being an XC thing. Once the IPD tune went on it was clear that something was amiss.

I hooked up the data logger and discovered that the car was barely making 5 pounds of boost. The intercooler plumbing isn't exactly fresh, but it is intact and there were no obvious cracks. Since the TCV can be a cause of such problems I swapped it out with spare gen 1 IPD TCV I had on the shelf. Quick and easy to give this a try. Once installed boost was immediately back. The car was transformed - trans-warp drive was working.

I went out on another test drive with the data logger hooked up and half way through I powered up a hill. All was performing as expected and then it happened - Kaboom! No power - the engine shuttered and died. Having had some prior self-inflicted experience with this sort of thing I immediately knew that a hose blew somewhere. Even so I will say that this will wake you up! I coasted a bit and pulled into the parking lot of a automotive repair shop...somehow my Volvos have always managed to die either in front of the house or in front of a repair shop. It turned out that the intake hose blew off the throttle body and the clamp was just laying down at the bottom of the engine compartment. My wife came to retrieve me - she didn't quite understand that this was good and the car died because it is working right. :p Before I purchased the car the ETM was replaced and it's pretty clear that the clamp wasn't secured properly. I'm glad that this didn't happen when trying to pass on a two lane road or when a family member was driving.

I returned later with some tools and reattached the hose well enough to get home. At home I got out a mirror and flashlight, adjusted the clamp position, and tightened. All is well now. The data log showed one peak to 14psi, several readings above 13psi, and more commonly above 12psi. This still seems to be 1psi or so lower than I'd expect. I'm wondering if this is normal, or the ECU is still learning, or perhaps those hoses are just poor. I haven't checked the waste gate yet either. Once the engine was hot I decided to leave that for another time.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
First! Bin the "HD TCV" and get a stock unit.

My IPD/MTE S1 tune would hover between 12-14psi at max load. You shouldn't be concerned with max boost because the ECU will control boost to meet torque request. The ECU in these vehicles (Bosch ME7) is a torque demand based system. When you press the pedal you are "asking" the ECU to generate X torque from the engine. If parameters are favorable (air temp, pressure, traction, boost, knock, etc.) then the ECU will try to produce the torque requested safely. Not the best description, but gives you an idea :D

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing your boost experience.

What's wrong with the IPD HD TCV? I've had the gen 2 version on two other cars and haven't had a single problem with it.

First! Bin the "HD TCV" and get a stock unit.

My IPD/MTE S1 tune would hover between 12-14psi at max load. You shouldn't be concerned with max boost because the ECU will control boost to meet torque request. The ECU in these vehicles (Bosch ME7) is a torque demand based system. When you press the pedal you are "asking" the ECU to generate X torque from the engine. If parameters are favorable (air temp, pressure, traction, boost, knock, etc.) then the ECU will try to produce the torque requested safely. Not the best description, but gives you an idea :D

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts