SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally did it…over the weekend I installed a KKK K24 turbo off of a 2004 S60R onto my 1998 C70. A little background on the project to help explain some of the strange images you'll be seeing here: http://server5.theimagehosting...=1251

When the car was in its prime and owned by Kai…he was pushing some insane HP in the area of 400+ if I recall correctly. The car had suffered an untimely demise from bad gas and ultimately ended its extreme HP days. The car sat for a long, long time (year +) and was finally re-built to factory(ish) specifications. The motor is still a B5234T3 with almost no miles on it and the rest of the car had only 17k miles when I took ownership of it back in late 2005. (Although it did sit in my garage for almost a year prior to me actually buying it…just tormenting me until I conceded.)

Over the months I have been playing catch-up with the car and a pretty poorly done installation (by a shop that I will not name to protect the less than innocent "mechanic." But just to be clear…none of this was Kai's fault and I knew going into this that the shop royally screwed him on the repairs.) Some of the issues were the vacuum lines all in the wrong place, coolant lines of the way wrong size leaking constantly, heater hose lines installed as fuel supply lines (and were leaking because they were too large and had loose hose clamps), throttle cable was way loose and only gave about ¾ throttle, wires in the wrong place, clutch hydraulic line started to leak because it was not properly installed and was rubbing the shift linkages, pinched rear brake line, missing bolts and nuts in all sorts of places, no SAS valve or plumbing, 15G turbo (which has broken wastegate valve) and downpipe installed rather than the 16T turbo, automatic transmission ECU, torn upper motor mount and wrong fasteners, wrong fuel rail and missing pressure regulator, broken airbox leaking air after the air filter, and the list goes on! Really it has taken me every-bit of 6-months to get this car running "normal" despite the new engine and left-over race parts.

So now that all of the issues have been resolved and the car doesn't have any CEL or other issues, it was time to upgrade! First stop, the fuel rail and injectors. Replaced the old orange body injectors from an 850 and its return line type fuel rail with the correct non-return fuel rail plus green Ford Racing 440cc injectors, which by the way were the inspiration for the green accents here and there. Next thing was to install the correct fuel pressure regulator and appropriate fuel lines. Finally I started the tear down of the old 15G turbo and all related goodies.

So the scope of the conversion is not too horrid but still a weekend project plus a few hours here and there. After the obvious removal items like the turbo, plumbing, and downpipe…the first real obstacle is the large pipe right against the block and slightly under the exhaust manifold. This pipe carries the coolant from the head, block, and radiator to feed all of the little things like the turbo and heater core with fluid. The pipe had to change because of an interference fit between the compressor body of the turbo and a nipple supposed to feed it with coolant. If you don't replace this pipe and try the K24 you will have no room to connect the hose or be able to bolt the turbo in place. But that's only the what-if you don't use the pipe. I did use the correct pipe but still spent significant time on the removal. It starts off with the location of the 10mm bolts holding the pipe to the head. They are hard to reach and impossible to see with your eye while the engine is still in the car. Now that the bolts are out the next deal is the 10mm nut holding the pipe just below the exhaust manifold outlet. This bolt is actually in between two of the runner pipes and is a task to remove because there is no access outside of the half blocked approach from the rear. You could almost need to take off the manifold to get this nut out…unless you have a good swivel and low profile tools. It still takes time and effort…and really is only the beginning. Now that the nut is out and all of the lines are removed from the pipe, you need to rotate the pipe to get the end away from the head and pull the pipe out of the block. Once off, the gasket and O-ring need to come out. Again, you're between the timing cover and manifold…so it's too tight for a scraper and just impossible to see without a mirror but with some gasket remover and patience, the gasket will come off of the head. On to the O-ring, which was simple and didn't cause too much grief?
Re-assembly was tedious and required cutting off a piece of the pipe and plugging the un-used outlet. Then onto the motor with it!

With the coolant pipe in place, all of the necessary lines can be reconnected and the K24 will bolt up. Following the physical turbo being bolted onto the manifold (with gasket in between), the hard lines feeding oil and coolant get to go on. Now each one of these will be completely different from that of the original lines and so they're all new. Now I figured that it would have been plug and play…but it was far from it. The oil feed line from the block into the top of the turbo is obstructed by some protruding covers on the block and make it impossible to use the new line with out modifying it. So out come the tubing cutters and grinder…off with a good portion of the new line and it gets spliced with a portion of the old line and a short (couple of inches) section of high-pressure rubber hose in between. The "hybrid" line is then installed and the return line, coolant line, and hardware go on to complete the plumbing; with the exception of me adding 2000-degree rated heat wrap on the oil feed line to keep things happy in turbo-land.

Now that the K24 is on the manifold, oil and coolant lines attached…the down pipe and exhaust went on. For the moment I'm using the DP from a 2000 C70 and a custom 3" Magnaflow system from the DP back. I will be going with the IPD DP when I recover from all of the $$$ spent on the upgrade this weekend. But till that happens I'll just grin and bear it for now.

The stock airbox is still in the car and the MAF is still the original unit for the moment. In order to keep this configuration working I needed to do some cutting to the old cold-air pipe off of the 15G and mate it with the MAF and then use a Samco 90mm to 80mm reducer piece. (Not pictured because my batteries died towards the end of the install.) With the pipe made and the fitment tested, I took the cold air pipe out and started to re-plumb all of the vacuum lines to work with the relocated nipples and such. Once all of that goodness was wrapped up, the car is almost done. Just need to get that turbo boost back into the intercooler somehow.

So, the K24 uses a totally different fitting on the output of the compressor than that of the previous turbo. The K24 uses a stronger method of mounting the pipe by utilizing flanges and a V-band rather than just a couple of hose clamps and rubber coupling. Fine by me but now I'm faced with a difficult choice. I could take the easy route and cut the end off of the charger pipe from an S60R and use an extra rubber piece to connect it to the original charger pipe…or I could bolt on the S60R charger pipe and relish the good looks. Hmm, what to do? Damn choices are difficult sometimes.
After mulling over the options, I opted to keep the look and function of the S60R pipe and re-route the duct work from the IC to accommodate this. Really I was able to do the job and only needed to add an extra 9" of pipe and one coupling! Not too shabby and it is 200% worth the slight addition of pipe.

With all of the ends connected and the fluids replaced…I reset the ECU and started the car for a leak check. No real issues outside of the inlet line not being tightened past finger tight…oops! A little wrenching and some breakclean…and we're back running again. 65 Miles and some wastegate adjustments later everything is groovy as can be. Now I'm still waiting on an ECU to take full advantage of the mods as well as I'm giving the car a little time to settle in before really opening it up. However, the immediate result is stunning and worth the effort.

Since I really don't have a good benchmark of previous performance since the old 15G turbo was broken anyhow…I really can't say exactly what the gains are. But I can say this much…my wife has an IPD ECU, SuperSprint exhaust, K&N, Iridium plugs and some other goodies on the car and the C70 walks away like she forgot to hit the gas.
(She's not too happy about that…so hers is next for the upgrade.) The torque is amazing and the mid range is just so much nicer. High end is still untested as is the final setting of the wastegate and what not. I'll share the boost numbers later on when I've got another couple hundred miles on the setup.

Oh, just a quick thanks to everyone that helped with the parts and technical information. A special thanks to Kai, Johann, Scott Heart, Vern at Volpar, Erie VoVo, and particularly a thank you to my brother for use of his garage and limbs…finally to an unnamed person who is unlocking secrets for me.

Cheers,
Prospero

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: K24 turbo installation onto my 98 C70...finally done! (Prospero)

Great job!!! Man, that car brought back so much memories of the old days
Please keep her in good health!!

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Awe, geez guys...I'm feeling like the cut hands and busted nuckles were worth it after all!

About the green...it's a long story but I'll just revisit what my wife says, "Green is the new black, honey and I like it!" So who am I to argue with a statement like that? Now, I will be taking the upper motor mount off and installing a new one in black, it was just an experiment since this one was bent from the old HP anyhow. So the green will be less in your face.
I was only seeing how well our powder coating system did with something less than perfectly prep'd.

Cheers!
Prospero

·
Registered
107 Posts

very nice

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

So green is the new black, huh?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: K24 turbo installation onto my 98 C70...finally done! (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Indeed it is!

Hey, it matches the Prestone and the fuel injectors... what more could a man want in a color?

Besides...it's not like anyone else's car and that's got to count for something!

Oh, and most of it will be covered one day with heat wrap since it gets hot down there now!

Cheers,
Prospero

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

The new Pegs..

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

Hi Prospero:

I'm currently doing a K24 conversion on my V70XC, and was wondering if you have any pictures of the cold air pipe from the airbox to the Turbo?
The original I.D. of the end of the pipe is about 10mm smaller than the inlet of the K24. Is the part needed the SAMCO 90mm to 80mm reducer you mentioned in the article?
Thanks a bunch for your help!!

Ben

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
looking through the pics i saw the green engine mount bracket and i remember i knew that image from seeing it in person...then i realized who the poster was! AH HAH!

congrats my friend....job well done! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: (phuz)

Who cares if it's got bits of "greenery" - as long as it go's like the wind, my friend!!
Excellent job , Well done.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: K24 turbo installation onto my 98 C70...finally done! (ifnt420)

Ben,

sent you an IM with some information! Feel free to hit me offline if you've got questions as I don't visit here too often because of travel and lack of time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (phuz)

Matt,

Thansk for putting 2+2 together!
It's been a while since this topic had been up on the "page 1" section here... good to see that people are able to learn from my experiences!

Hope to see ya at Carslile in May!

Cheers,
Prospero

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (hikennys)

Hmm, interesting...it feels like years since I did this mod! Car still runs like a sunnabeech, thankfully!

Thanks for not being too biased! There was some logic behind the green...the 440cc Ford Racing injectors were green as is the coolant...so I figured that since no one else did green before; I would take the chance.

Green is the new black for me!

Cheers,
Prospero

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (echristodo)

Quote, originally posted by echristodo »
did you build your projectors prospero? got any pic of them? they look pretty sweet from the small glimpse i got...

Wish i could claim the credit for these but it was HIDs For Less that built them some time ago... I recall it cost about $3000 for both sets with all of the work.

I will dig through my images to see if I have some to post.

Cheers,
Prospero

1 - 19 of 19 Posts