SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sup Forum,

Been a while since I posted here after selling my S60R. But I'm currently getting ready to install a K24 in my 850R along with a manual swap (thread linked below). I decided to post this here to make it easier for anyone looking for a K24 rebuild kit with a 360 degree thrust bearing. Apparently they're hard to locate. I was looking for one because they are generally better than the stock 270 degree bearing and I specifically wanted one since I'm installing a larger 7+7 compressor wheel on my turbo which means more strain on it.

I researched online and found old posts saying to check into specific shops in Sweden or turbo shops in Florida but those were dated and led nowhere. I even asked a reputable Volvo performance parts retailer and they weren't aware of any of these kits. That's why I was ecstatic to find this shop an hour away from me that actually made them in house. Who would've thought.

7+7 wheel:

K24 before it gets machined:

When I arrived, they were very friendly and helpful. They even had someone else's K24 being worked on that you can see in the picture below. I'm excited to get this thing back and installed. I'll update you all on how it turned out after they finish working on it.

Majestic Turbos
815 Jefferson Ave.
Waco, TX 76701
+1 254-757-3759

Ask to speak to John. This is totally me going out on a limb but give him code '84ToyotaPickup' and maybe he'll give you a discount lollll. That would at least give you some reputable brownie points. (He really loves his old pickup)

My 850R thread: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=322617&share_fid=17438&share_type=t

BUILD: Replacing Engine & Manual Transmission

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for the info Nick !!! I have a spare KKK K24 turbo that I plan on redoing and would to send it to someone to install one of the new hybrid wheels and a 360 bearing too. How much are they charging you to do the work ? Thanks for any info. God Bless :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Nick !!! I have a spare KKK K24 turbo that I plan on redoing and would to send it to someone to install one of the new hybrid wheels and a 360 bearing too. How much are they charging you to do the work ? Thanks for any info. God Bless :)
Just give John a call tomorrow and ask. It all depends on exactly what you want done. For example, if you wanna save some money, you can opt to just have them machine your compressor housing and sell you one of their rebuild kits. Then you can do the rebuild yourself and save some cash that way. But it's all up to you, just give him a call and ask. All in all, when everything is said and done, it will certainly be cheaper than getting a k24 with the larger wheel from somewhere like Viva. Theirs is currently on sale for $2,300. I'm not knocking them at all, they have to pay their bills and run their business, but that's a lot of money and we have to find ways to save some money. Cheers!

·
Registered
274 Posts
For example, if you wanna save some money, you can opt to just have them machine your compressor housing and sell you one of their rebuild kits. Then you can do the rebuild yourself and save some cash that way.
Wouldn’t you still need them to balance the new compressor to the turbine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn’t you still need them to balance the new compressor to the turbine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yup, they're doing everything for me. They even paint the assembly like in the earlier picture to make it look purrty again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
How much they charge you for machining the housing, rebuilding the CHRA, rebuild parts, new wheel and balancing? In other words, cost to upgrade a crusty old k24 to a hybrid turbo...

·
Registered
52 Posts
How much they charge you for machining the housing, rebuilding the CHRA, rebuild parts, new wheel and balancing? In other words, cost to upgrade a crusty old k24 to a hybrid turbo...
I'm interested to know this as well. Also, with what you've had done, what kind of performance benefits can you gain with this?

·
Registered
306 Posts
After reading what Nick wrote I called them myself. The gal was very informative...Depending on how much time/whats needed determines the cost. If you call them, explain what you would like to do, They'll give you an estimate. It's over the phone, so be prepared for it to change once they see how good/bad your turbo is.

Keep in mind, that sending your stock turbo off and having it "hybridized" will require a Tune as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I thought Majestic Turbo was so old-school Known that it's a no brainer.

They used to advertise all the time in that one Turbos and Fours magazine, and they're very well known in the Audi community for their skillz in KKK turbo rebuilding.

The K24-7200 (Audi RS2) is accepted to be a K26 in all but name. Does th K24-7400 also use the K26 bearing and shaft size or is it tiny like the lesser K24s?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Ooooooooooooo SUBBED! Keep posting those delicious pictures!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok sorry all, it's been a minute since I last updated. That's because we ran into some problems with my turbo. So after I dropped off my k24 and larger 7+7 wheel to get machined and installed along with the rebuild kit and 360 degree thrust bearing, the shop called me and said they found some damage internally. The turbine shaft on the exhaust side was pretty much worn to the point where the grooves were no longer there. That and there was some damage to the bearing housing upon disassembly most likely due to the damage on the shaft. Here are some pictures:

Luckily, they were able to find a spare used turbine shaft and bearing housing to install so that eliminated the need to order new more expensive ones or wait longer for new parts to arrive.

Other than that, I got the turbo back and it looks pretty sweet. They machined the compressor housing, installed the new larger billet wheel, replaced all the seals and rings, installed the beefier 360 thrust bearing, balanced it, and gave it all a new coat of paint to make its appearance look proper. Here it is:

Turbo is back. New 900cc injectors (overkill but futureproofing) are in along with new fuel pump. Can't wait to e85 this thing along with the m56 swap and quaife LSD. Just got all the new gear stack bearings and races replaced so this transmission is ready to get sealed up again.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Came out looking nice man!
I'll have to disassemble the used one I just bought and make sure all is well before I send mine out to them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Came out looking nice man!
I'll have to disassemble the used one I just bought and make sure all is well before I send mine out to them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Yeah it did, thanks man.

I would definitely advise having the inside looked at, whether it's you that does it or the shop since they are going to have it apart anyway. I say this because he said he was very very surprised to see similar problems on the inside of all three K 24 turbos that he had in his shop at that moment. I suggested maybe it was a common problem with these turbos and he disagreed saying he's done more than 50 of them in the past but he's never seen the same issue like the three in the shop at the moment. So I don't know but definitely have it looked at while it's out of your car.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much is the rebuild kit that they sell for the k24?
I would venture to say somewhere around $100-130. Not really sure as I didn't just buy one of those, I had other things on my invoice. But call them up and talk to John, he'll take care of you

Majestic Turbos in Waco, TX.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I sent my turbo off to them a couple of months ago. Got it back in a week, which was awesome. What wasn't awesome was the giant cloud of smoke that came out of the car when I started it up. Ended up pulling the turbo apart and replacing their kit with parts from the $24 one on ebay.

They did do a great job of cleaning the turbo and balancing the wheel, but not sure if that was worth the $470 that they charged me.

Since then, I've rebuilt two other turbos and just sent the turbines off to be balanced. What Majestic charges is highway robbery.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: they didn't bother to mark the housing when they took it apart, so it was clocked wrong when it came back to me. Took me over an hour to figure it out when I went to install the thing and the oil and water lines wouldn't line up right.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sent my turbo off to them a couple of months ago. Got it back in a week, which was awesome. What wasn't awesome was the giant cloud of smoke that came out of the car when I started it up. Ended up pulling the turbo apart and replacing their kit with parts from the $24 one on ebay.

They did do a great job of cleaning the turbo and balancing the wheel, but not sure if that was worth the $470 that they charged me.

Since then, I've rebuilt two other turbos and just sent the turbines off to be balanced. What Majestic charges is highway robbery.
Whoa that sucks. I'm not questioning you but how do you know the smoke was from the turbo? It was primed before startup, right?

Also, main question I wanted to ask was what did you have them do for $470?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Whoa that sucks. I'm not questioning you but how do you know the smoke was from the turbo? It was primed before startup, right?

Also, main question I wanted to ask was what did you have them do for $470?

I had them rebuild the turbo and install a 11 blade compressor wheel. I think it was four hundred and something in parts and labor, plus $50 shipping.

I pulled the turbo apart and the exhaust turbine was covered in oil that was leaking past the seals. The parts they use are different than the original parts (mainly the brass end plate thingy), is the only reason I could determine as to the cause.

FTR, I had never taken a turbo apart before, but was dammed sure I didn't not want to send it back to them. I figured the worse case scenario is that I totally ruin the turbo and would have to buy another one for a couple hundred bucks.

As it turns out, they're surprisingly simple.:D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had them rebuild the turbo and install a 11 blade compressor wheel. I think it was four hundred and something in parts and labor, plus $50 shipping.

I pulled the turbo apart and the exhaust turbine was covered in oil that was leaking past the seals. The parts they use are different than the original parts (mainly the brass end plate thingy), is the only reason I could determine as to the cause.

FTR, I had never taken a turbo apart before, but was dammed sure I didn't not want to send it back to them. I figured the worse case scenario is that I totally ruin the turbo and would have to buy another one for a couple hundred bucks.

As it turns out, they're surprisingly simple.:D
Wow that's really interesting...

Oil leaking past the seals, is that more harmful for longevity of the turbo or more harmful for performance like a loss of power?

Did the smoke always stay no matter how long you drove or had the car warmed up?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts