SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a K16 turbo for sale without the manifold that the swap kits come with. Would it be at all possible to fit this turbo to the stock manifold, or does the manifold have to be integrated into the turbo piece? I understand I would probably not see quite as high power gains with a stock manifold, but the price of this K16 has me curious. I’ve pasted the link for the turbo listing. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/p/Borg-Warner-...MI8_Lpq5rA5AIVARqGCh3fkAD8EAQYAyABEgL5efD_BwE

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found a K16 turbo for sale without the manifold that the swap kits come with. Would it be at all possible to fit this turbo to the stock manifold, or does the manifold have to be integrated into the turbo piece? I understand I would probably not see quite as high power gains with a stock manifold, but the price of this K16 has me curious. I’ve pasted the link for the turbo listing. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/p/Borg-Warner-...MI8_Lpq5rA5AIVARqGCh3fkAD8EAQYAyABEgL5efD_BwE
Unfortunately the way our stock turbo was made, the manifold is part of the housing so it is all or nothing when it comes to replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately the way our stock turbo was made, the manifold is part of the housing so it is all or nothing when it comes to replacement.

Gotcha. I figured it was probably too good to be true. Thanks for educating me!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not true. You can use ATP log manifold and downpipe kit with external waste gate. Some new borg warners come with the option of internal or external. Probably some other models from Garrett as well. Pic for reference......

·
Registered
296 Posts
Correction, you do have to use a separate manifold. Just saw what you were asking.
I thought you were asking if you could use this turbo with a different manifold

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not true. You can use ATP log manifold and downpipe kit with external waste gate. Some new borg warners come with the option of internal or external. Probably some other models from Garrett as well. Pic for reference......

That’s a really nice looking option, but I’d be nervous ordering anything else from ATP because I tried to get their downpipe and no one had any in stock. The turbo kits say they include the downpipe, so I’m not sure what they’re doing now that they aren’t making any more downpipes. Maybe a discount? I do have an aftermarket dp now.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yea, I dont know, i have the ATP downpipe now, but not sure about current availability.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I dont know, i have the ATP downpipe now, but not sure about current availability.

I tried to get it from both ViVA and an eBay seller, and they both told me that ATP wasn’t planning to produce any more. I went with a Manzo downpipe and it’s been fine for me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good to know. I am going with s bigger turbo in the spring as I have outgrown the k16. I will probably have to fab some of it which ever way I go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to know. I am going with s bigger turbo in the spring as I have outgrown the k16. I will probably have to fab some of it which ever way I go.

Do you know if the ATP GT3071R/GT3076R is bigger or has more potential than a K16? I’m considering a bigger turbo in the future and I’m not sure which one would be better - they go for about the same price on Viva’s website. Granted the K16 they sell isn’t a complete kit like Elevate’s, but it looks more cost effective.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the Elevate now. Great set up, more or less plug snd play. With my block being sleeved, I can push it a lot harder safely. If I go any bigger than the garrett kit I will need to do a return fuel system. With the garrett I will only need to upgrade the pump, injectors, plugs, and PCV system.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The garrett set up is a 450-500hp set up.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I will eventually end up at something in the range of a Precision 5858.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does anyone know or have seen an aftermarket turbo kit on an S40/C30 besides a k16? How's the tuning for something like this?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Log manifolds are available. Choose the correct flange. Hire Hilton to tune it. He is very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's the only kit I've ever seen that's volvo specific or at least without some major work needed. So you built your motor and decided on a k16, why's that?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Went with the k16 when i purchased the car. Was new to volvo and under the impression that the k16 was about as big as I could go on stock internals. PCV system failed, amongst other things. Blew a hole in two pistons. Hence the rebuild. Figured while its apart might as well do it right. Now Im bored with k16 and want to step it up. Im on the fence between about 500 whp and closer to 600. Wont be messing with it until spring. Me and the brother are putting together a dart block with twin garrett 85s running methanol hoping to have it ready for next summer. We are shooting slightly north of 2500

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does anyone know or have seen an aftermarket turbo kit on an S40/C30 besides a k16? How's the tuning for something like this?
There was a guy, can’t remember his name, a few years back how did one of those big Garrett kits meant for a rs focus since it’s the same motor and he was in the uk. He described it as undriveable. That was before there was a lsd option for our cars. I think unfortunately his post were lost when the c30world forum died but that one always stuck with me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts