SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've decided to invest in a famed K&N air filter. BUT, I've heard anywhere from 5 to 15 hp gain and im wondering what it will be and how noticeable it will be. The engine is '93 850 GLT 20v engine so i dunno if that makes a difference. And is there anything else i can do (reasonably priced, I'm 16) for better accelleration and so forth? Thanks for your help (if you help, that is).

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: K&N (Jake)

I have K&N filter installed..
does it do anything? Probably..
can I feel it? Not really..

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you are, in short, to make the car go faster = heavy foot. Theres simply no "cheap" way to get more HP.

·
Registered
64 Posts

It depends on your arrangement. If it is a panel filter, you might get 5 hp*
(*It's not real horsepower. It's more of a throttle response change. I put one in, and I can honestly say I feel like the throttle response is a little bit quicker. However, I don't notice any sort of power increase.)

If it's a cone, you can get more, however you have to have good heat shielding to keep it cool off the line. A NA will be a little cooler at least.

Since the car is NA, you could get a few horses with an exhaust, a few with a chip, and a few more by tweaking the fuel delivery. All of those are unfortuately expensive. You could get big horspower by modifying the engine for a higher compression (BTCC Volvos got somewhere between 280-300hp from an NA engine), but it would be very expensive (a few thousand dollars).

Another note: most people can't feel a 10 horsepower increase.

·
Registered
12 Posts

both our cars have the drop in filters-my 92 740 and tony's 96 850 (malmo99). Both of us feel that small difference and hear a tiny growl. We got ours at 4filters.com for $42 each with shipping. I would definitely say to buy one.

[Modified by emily240DL, 1:28 PM 11-10-2002]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.