SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I received my new K&N air filter and decided to do a R Kelly style intake mod. What an improvement. The old crappy air filter I had was made my purolator. Comparing the two, I can't believe I didn't order the K&N sooner. My old filter made the R feel like it was running out of air from mid to high end.

Then I decided to go ahead and add in the R Kelly style intake. Even better along side the K&N. Feels like I have some improvement in my low end and high end power.

I just couldn't stop myself. Like Tim Allen, I wanted more power. I decided I want to try some race fuel. My gauge was on E and I couldn't remember if I was supposed to mix it with some premium fuel or not. I didn't want to take a chance of screwing something up. I put in about 4 gallons of race fuel (at 7.85 per gallon, 100 oct) and mixed it with 4 gallons of 93 oct. More smiles on my face. I wish my R could drive like this everyday. Acceleration was so much better from low to high rpm.

I had such a good time with the R this weekend. Aside from the current noise issue I am having, it was a blast. I really want to thank the SS community for the wealth of knowledge. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif But damn you all because now you gave me the mod bug!

Edit:

Also with the new air filter:

80 mile trip I take every few weeks, using the meter on board my gas milage is usually at 28.6 mpg. Same trip with K&N I got over 31mpg.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: K&N, R kelly, Race fuel impressions. (o2k)

That is sweet about the intake improvement... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif Did the Race Gas / premium mix feel like it added a good deal of power and was that MPG avg with that mix or just regular premium fuel?

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: K&N, R kelly, Race fuel impressions. (kmg_S60R)

Quote, originally posted by kmg_S60R »
That is sweet about the intake improvement... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif Did the Race Gas / premium mix feel like it added a good deal of power and was that MPG avg with that mix or just regular premium fuel?

There was definitely more power. I wish I could give you an idea in HP. But power delivery was much better than regular old premium. I think a while back I saw a thread where someone dynoed with race fuel and a MT R and got something like 30 hp? ( might be wrong on the numbers)

The mpg I got was with regular full tank of 93 and maybe 2 gallons of the mix that was left. I didn't have a chance to test the mix on the highway, but my regular city driving mpg was a little better 20mpg vs 22 mpg. I wouldn't mind filling up with a full tank of 100oct if there isn't a consequence.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Re: K&N, R kelly, Race fuel impressions. (kmg_S60R)

I've used Cranktane before and also noted improved gas milage.
Reason is the ECM can keep the timing advanced with the higher octane fuel and less prone to retarding the timing due to spark knock or detonation.
However the improved mileage vs cost is off the charts for the 100 pump gas. Its really a rip off.

Research toulene and see if you can find a paint supply store that sells it. Only a few dollars a gallon and its the same stuff they use to boost octane in the 100 generic racing fuel.

http://www.gnttype.org/techare....html

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: K&N, R kelly, Race fuel impressions. (Oceans60R)

I see we have a knowledgable member on our hands...
I learned about toulene about 8 years back when street racers would need that quick boost in power to beat the opponent they had lost to a few times before for a quick exchange of cash flow...
I don't know long term negative effects if any but I have seen it allow an integra that was detonating @ 11 psi run 14psi det free... So I know it works, and it shaved about 1/2 second for me on a HC setup of 12.5 - 1. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Re: K&N, R kelly, Race fuel impressions. (o2k)

Figure your 50/50 mix would net you roughly 96.5 octane.
And the race gas was $8 a gallon and you put in 4 gallons for $32.
4 gallons of Toulene and the rest 93 would get you nearly 100 for $48 +gas
Race gas only would run 8*18=$144 for a whole tank of pump.

The toulene by the gallon is the better deal but more of a hassle.

·
Registered
224 Posts
when i had my 1999 buick regal gsx,((ran 12.8s all day long)) i was boosting 15 psi with 4 degrees of knock. that was with 93 octane. 94 octane ((when sunoco had it)) got me with high 2s. 100 octane had me running at 0 degrees of knock.

i had race fuel in the volvo. filled it up from empty with 104. honestly, i didnt feel that there was any improvement. im always leery about little things that make you think its making a huge improvement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.