SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the Volvo air filter in my 2012 S60 and attached to it is a piece of grey foam. When I put the K&N filter in, do I need the grey foam? It appears to be glued to the Volvo filter but can easily be removed. The K&N filter in about half as thick as the Volvo filter.

Also, do the K&N filters void any warranties?

Thanks!

·
Registered
301 Posts
the filter won't void any warranty. I'm not sure about the foam part,i'm sure someone will chime in.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I doubt the foam does anything. K&N filters are top-notch.stuff. It's probably like those foam ones on new vacuums with a HEPA filter. For some reason they come from the factory like that, but don't actually use it for much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put one in my 2012 S60 and my wife's 2011 XC70, you do not need the foam. Enjoy,

Jim

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I put one on my s60. You don't need the foam. Its for noise reduction.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Seriously, waste of your money...I used to have one on my V70 T5 and also one on a MY98 V70R. Did not do anything for me...

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you spend $15 on average for a new air filter every 7,500 miles, a K&N pays for itself in 3 oil changes. I'm curious how that is a waste of money?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
By changing your air filter every 7500 miles??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Every other oil change then, you are missing my point. You buy a K&N once, I bought both of mine for $40 each, and you wash them every 50,000 miles (or less). A K&N isn't a waste of money.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Every other oil change then, you are missing my point. You buy a K&N once, I bought both of mine for $40 each, and you wash them every 50,000 miles (or less). A K&N isn't a waste of money.
You're still changing the air filter way too often. The K&N issue is very subjective and debatable..............just depends on whether you like to gamble on oil in the MAF and not much filtration.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?177648-Though-s-on-K-amp-N-air-filter

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts