SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used a K&N air filter in my cars. I just noticed that one was available for the XC60. Has anyone tried one yet? In my other cars I always got better mileage and more power.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I've always used a K&N air filter in my cars. I just noticed that one was available for the XC60. Has anyone tried one yet? In my other cars I always got better mileage and more power.
More than 10 years I used K & N filters in 4 different cars, but stopped since 2009. Modern cars do not like oil vapor from these filters, problem with MAF Sensor

"got better mileage and more power" -- I think that it was just a myth, without any evidence. No test has proven any increase in power measured on a dynamo-meter that is relevant

Here are an interesting test of air filters. Not the latest date but can serve

http://moto.lexp.net/wiki/Air_Filtration_Test

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use one. Between that and removing the charcoal filter (RIP Earth), you get maybe a few percent more power/torque? It's nothing massive, but as I have a T6 with P*, I figure I'll take the tiny bit extra.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Running a K&N is one of the worst things you can do to your car. You’re just killing the engine every minute it runs with a K&N filter.

Please don’t do that to your car.
Eyeroll.

Do you have evidence to support this? For a correctly oiled washable air filter? (e.g. Like K&N)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
This is anecdotal, but when I had my 2001 NSX which was supercharged I purchased a foam filter similar to K&Ns filter. I oiled it as directed with special oil. Within several months I started to experience the car stalling at idle. I was really perplexed. I ended up taking everything apart to gain access to the intake. What I found was a black powdery residue on the butterfly. Once I clean everything up the car ran perfectly. I happen to talk with Comptech who at the time was the Official Tuner for Honda and Acura. I was told that the paper filters provide equivalent airflow to the car in comparison to the K&N or any other foam product on the market. These results were from their having tested various filters on a dynameter. The key was to change out the filter and keep that area clean. The oil would vaporize in the hot engine environment and end up being deposited on the surface of the intake. I purchased my NSX new and had never seen that kind of residue on the intake during the previous 5 or 6 years. I doubt there will be any noticeable increase in power or response with any of these filters. I doubt that the 2 liter engine has breathing problems especially since it was developed to handle a supercharger and a turbocharger. The Polestar software upgrade does not require any modifications on the air intake or the exhaust to increase the performance level of the vehicle. That tells you a lot. By the way, I think if anything is restricted in the car it is the exhaust. A cat back system would probably give you a much better response from the car although the noise level would increase.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I bought my 2001 V70 in May of 2000 I put in a K&N in July 2000 and had it in there till I traded it in last Nov 2018. Never had any engine issues at all, nor did I see any noticeable increase in performance or mileage. I may have saved some money not having to replace air filters over the 18 years, but that's about all the benefits I realized from it...

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,028 Posts
I'm currently using the OEM replacement K&N for my 2018 V90CC T6 (which I assume is the same as XC60). I noticed a slight increase in supercharger whine and a tiny little bit intake roar. According to a swedespeed member here (I think Grecian Volvo), it's good for 8-10 bhp (if I remember corectly). I'm satisfied with it but I have not necessarily installed it for performance gains. It's just an added bonus. I have used it for almost the entire time I installed the K&N on my V90CC (10 months old) at around 10k miles on the Odometer to my current 27k miles and have noticed no issues at all. The intake growl and the supercharger whine is worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
According to a swedespeed member here (I think Grecian Volvo), it's good for 8-10 bhp (if I remember corectly).
Increasing the power of 8-10 hp with the air filter, this is the best joke of the century

I urgently need to inform engineers Volvo, Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, VW ................. that they are stupid and do not know about this information

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,028 Posts
Increasing the power of 8-10 hp with the air filter, this is the best joke of the century

I urgently need to inform engineers Volvo, Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, VW ................. that they are stupid and do not know about this information
Yes you really, really should. In fact, leave the Volvo and VW engineers to me. I work with these guys and I'll be happy to let them know louisparis considers performance air-filters, snake-oil and has physical and experimental proof to prove it! I can already see K&N, AEM, Injen and the likes losing sleep over declining sales. :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If the air going into the cylinders is already compressed, how does this air filter get more air in there?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,028 Posts
....so I'll continue NOT using K&N filters.
Yes. Makes total sense. And I bet every single person here respects your opinion to treat your car the way you want. No one's gonna argue with what you like to do with your car (especially when there is absolutely nothing wrong with using either of the Air filters being talked about).

If the air going into the cylinders is already compressed, how does this air filter get more air in there?
My first guess would be, by reducing the restriction provided by the stock air-filter, resulting in a freer-breathing intake. The turbocharger/supercharger can suck in all the air they want, they will be restricted by the filter element (hole) size. By giving it a lesser restriction, you basically make them huff and puff less!

Try working out in the gym/running on a treadmill with an altitude training mask and you'll see my point.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,028 Posts
Thank you p07r0457, for explaining what YOU feel. As I explained earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm sure you have convinced yourself about all that you have written in your post as the truth! Good for you.

As for me, I trust my knowledge gained from my Masters and my Doctorate in Automotive Engineering and Internal Combustion Engine design enough to understand a snake-oil product or a random forum post from a self-proclaimed Engine flow design and CFD expert! :beer:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you p07r0457, for explaining what YOU feel. As I explained earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm sure you have convinced yourself about all that you have written in your post as the truth! Good for you.

As for me, I trust my knowledge gained from my Masters and my Doctorate in Automotive Engineering and Internal Combustion Engine design enough to understand a snake-oil product or a random forum post from a self-proclaimed Engine flow design and CFD expert! :beer:
Hundreds of engineers and professors in Japan, Germany, France, Italy , UK ....... are stupid and do not know that I can increase power by 8- 10 HP for only $ 40 (with air filter)
Thanks for the information, and if you have some evidence, it would be great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts