SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a K & N drop in air filter today during lunch. I'm so not a DIYer so I was a bit scared during the process with pulling that mass air sensor and loosening the clamp on the air box...but the install went without a hitch. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

I drove her for about 11 miles and noticed the throttle response was a lot smoother. Am I just imagining this change, or has anyone else noticed a similar effect with this minor tweak? Don't know if I'll see any real increase in hp or torque, but she seems happier with more air.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: K & N Air Filter - Drop In (Theodore Ruxpin)

I would say that unless your OEM air filter was very dirty andor clogged, you are probably imagining the difference, which is OK. I don't think that it makes a noticeable difference with the new P2 cars. I am sure that it contributes a bit if you make other upgades...

Yannis

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts

The nice thing about your K&N is it is the last filter you will ever buy for your car and is more efficient than the paper filters. That's mainly why I bought mine, I was curious if I could notice a difference, but there was was no real difference in performance that could tell.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts

Remember that now you are self sufficient in air filter servicing that you pick up the K&N air filter cleaner kit and clean it every 5K or so. In about 3 self services the new & better filter pays for itself. Degunk-it, spray it out from the intake side to out (as to not push dirt further inside the filter) and let it dry. Apply a little light filter oil and back on the street. Takes maybe an hour with minimal effort.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: K & N Air Filter - Drop In (Spearzy)

Yah, i put mine in the other day.. it feels smoother, accells smoother, but i dont know if its a mental thing or if it does really help.

·
Registered
386 Posts

I think it is in the head... I had my car dynoed before and after I installed my chip, and My car with only the filter dynoed a little under 247 i think... so not much of a difference.. But hey, personally i think u can hear the car a bit more with the K&N filter so its worth it...

BTW.. Has anyone found a good place to put in a real air intake, that would provide a large amount of cold air. I was thinking of running one out of the left fog light when i drag, but I am thinking I might have throttle responce problems because of the extensive piiping required for it. Any ideas??
Spencer

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Re: K & N Air Filter - Drop In (Gotballs)

The cold air filters (the real ones) actually require you to peel up some metal around the fender under the hood and stick the filter in beween the wheel liner/cover on the inside of the wheel well and the engine bay! You can't even see the filter if you pop the hood just the plumbing, draws crispy cold air! Never seen it done in a Euro car yet (at least I have not), but a very common mod on the japanese cars. I'd say hand down that is the best air filter system in regards to power gain, although harder to service. I personally know two examples of friends with this with a 1996 Maxima & a 1997 Prelude SRV. I bet this would be the cats meow of a filter change in a turbo Volvo! Just keep an eye on the dirt build up which means clean often.

·
Registered
386 Posts

How much?? Would u recoommend any specific company that would make sucha filter?

Thanks

Spencer

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts

I know the one in my buddies honda is a AEM, but I think they pretty much only fit hondas. There was a lot of stuff he took out and sits in a box! I was amazed at the amount of parts are ripped out, even the mass air sensor I think!
The maxima owner has something else, it didn't have the stickers the AEM comes with so I forget, I remember hearing the name stillen but I think that was for his future supercharger! http://********************/smile/emwink.gif Eastern aerospace may have the closest thing for a volvo without heavily modifying of the kit, that may be the best place to start.

Oh, I think each kit was about $300 cnd., so roughly $1.25 USD http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

[Modified by Spearzy, 8:14 PM 10-9-2002]

·
Registered
386 Posts

Stillen hahahhaha that company is based by were i used to live. We lovingly called them Stealen.. They want 500 bucks for just ordering blitz gauges, and 500 bucks for a blowoff valve, and they werent all that helpful when i brought me T5 into them bout a year and a half ago... They almost laughed when i asked for parts for a volvo... so personally Stillen=Stealing so i would advise your buddie to check out a few other companies before he drops prob 5000 on somthing he could prob get for far less...

~Spencer~

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts

I'll pass the word, he was grumbling a bit about the price... maybe that was all he found so far. There is usually an alternative.

·
Registered
386 Posts

There is always a choice, tell your bud to get the part number and all that from stillen and go into a different shop and they will give you a way better deal...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts