SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
no HD radio for the android system yet.
xc60 HD radio discussion thread
Apple CarPlay is due to be released in the spring of 2022.
quote from polestarcars instagram - comment section of this link. CarPlay should come at the same time for both Volvo and Polestar cars.
Q6: Is the instrument display customizable like the themes in Sensus?
nope, just two choices unfortunately, blank and map. Probably planned for a future update, but no mention of it from official sources.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's been one week of driving and today was lots of snow driving.

Some observations/opinions regarding the V90 CC (and the Panamera)

I have a new appreciation for the difficulty that car reviewers have as they go from one vehicle to the next. On top of a variety of personal preferences [that they bring to the evaluation], there is the fact that they must/should approach each vehicle on its own terms. They must/should step into the vehicle with as few preconceived notions as possible and learn/discover what is there. It took me about 5 days to realize this. On the fourth day, I searched to see what redress I might have if I wanted to return the car to the dealer, collect my Panamera and return to "normal".

Once I realized that the V90 could not be driven as the Panamera – it happened on a highway exit ramp – everything improved.

1. The interior/cabin of the V90 CC is simply excellent. In terms of aesthetics, Volvo is a 10/10. I got the interior leather (dash plus ventilated for seats) and it is as good as Porsche. The Volvo is different but it is no worse.
2. The ride is quite nice. The suspension is more on the luxury side than the performance side. I'm surprised that given the Four Corner Air Suspension, Volvo hasn't added a more handling-based option. (The body roll can be a bit much at times.)
3. The Harman Kardon system is better than the Porsche Bose system. That being said, I prefer the sound inside the Panamera. It feels more intimate as if the system was designed for that interior space.
4. In snow, the Volvo is confidence inspiring. For those who haven't driven a Porsche in snow, it is really a RWD system with AWD. Ie. It is a lot of fun but you never feel fully bulletproof on the ice and snow. The Volvo gets the tail out, which is nice, but it inspires a ton of confidence. (I'm comparing the Panamera 4S with 19inch snows and the V90 CC B6 with 20-inch all seasons. Snow tires will be installed next week.)
5. The Android Auto system really feels like a POS or half-baked. Seriously. It is a step down from the previous Sensus and I'm surprised that an automaker would deploy such a thing.)
6. The shifter is extremely annoying. Having to press it sequentially to get a gear is not good. Especially as you cannot "double tap" to get where you want to go. Additionally, "manual" shifting is not a good idea as the position of D and M± changes once you're in manual.
7. The gas mileage in the B6 is not good. I'm not sure of the purpose of the hybrid system but the mileage is worse than the Panamera 4S.
8. There is a certain lightness, or lack of mass, that the V90 has that the Panamera does not.

All in all I am enjoying the car infinitely more today than I was 4 days ago.

Cheers!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Congrats on the new v90 cc!

We had a previous gen cayenne hybrid S. Even with its extra weight it handled so much better in full "dynamic sport+" mode (forgot the Porsche marketing moniker).

All that being said my 2017 v90 cc is so versatile in range of handling FOR the price and difference of around $35K. I don’t know why it would be called sub-par.

Plus I got massaging seats and self-driving.

I’d love to get an A6 All Road one day when the v90cc hits a 100K. :)

Happy driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's been one week of driving and today was lots of snow driving.

Some observations/opinions regarding the V90 CC (and the Panamera)

I have a new appreciation for the difficulty that car reviewers have as they go from one vehicle to the next. On top of a variety of personal preferences [that they bring to the evaluation], there is the fact that they must/should approach each vehicle on its own terms. They must/should step into the vehicle with as few preconceived notions as possible and learn/discover what is there. It took me about 5 days to realize this. On the fourth day, I searched to see what redress I might have if I wanted to return the car to the dealer, collect my Panamera and return to "normal".

Once I realized that the V90 could not be driven as the Panamera – it happened on a highway exit ramp – everything improved.

1. The interior/cabin of the V90 CC is simply excellent. In terms of aesthetics, Volvo is a 10/10. I got the interior leather (dash plus ventilated for seats) and it is as good as Porsche. The Volvo is different but it is no worse.
2. The ride is quite nice. The suspension is more on the luxury side than the performance side. I'm surprised that given the Four Corner Air Suspension, Volvo hasn't added a more handling-based option. (The body roll can be a bit much at times.)
3. The Harman Kardon system is better than the Porsche Bose system. That being said, I prefer the sound inside the Panamera. It feels more intimate as if the system was designed for that interior space.
4. In snow, the Volvo is confidence inspiring. For those who haven't driven a Porsche in snow, it is really a RWD system with AWD. Ie. It is a lot of fun but you never feel fully bulletproof on the ice and snow. The Volvo gets the tail out, which is nice, but it inspires a ton of confidence. (I'm comparing the Panamera 4S with 19inch snows and the V90 CC B6 with 20-inch all seasons. Snow tires will be installed next week.)
5. The Android Auto system really feels like a POS or half-baked. Seriously. It is a step down from the previous Sensus and I'm surprised that an automaker would deploy such a thing.)
6. The shifter is extremely annoying. Having to press it sequentially to get a gear is not good. Especially as you cannot "double tap" to get where you want to go. Additionally, "manual" shifting is not a good idea as the position of D and M± changes once you're in manual.
7. The gas mileage in the B6 is not good. I'm not sure of the purpose of the hybrid system but the mileage is worse than the Panamera 4S.
8. There is a certain lightness, or lack of mass, that the V90 has that the Panamera does not.

All in all I am enjoying the car infinitely more today than I was 4 days ago.

Cheers!

2 - unless they changed it, it’s only air suspension on the rear.

4 - the best part of my v90cc is snow storm driving feels like summer driving. It’s like being in a tank. Plus I love getting the back to step out in a snow storm on a corner.

5 - their software sucks in general your dealing with android. Sorry to hear they’re charging now for Apple CarPlay. Sounds like they’re trying to save costs. Hope they keep selling it.

For 6 - I used the shifter about 5 times since I got it. I just leave it on "polestar engineered" driving mode and it shifts down and accelerates hard enough for daily driving

·
Registered
47 Posts
2 - unless they changed it, it’s only air suspension on the rear.
Yes, the "air suspension" is only on the rear (as there's not enough space for the system over the front axle), but it's adaptive on all 4 wheels.

So they could've gone for a more sportier/aggressive setup for the "Dynamic" or "Polestar" mode. But for some reason, they kept it more on the comfort side. However, I do set it to "Dynamic" whenever I drive at higher speeds, as it just makes you feel a little more secure. It'll never feel as sporty as on a Panamera though as that car is built with a different philosophy altogether.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm not so concerned about storage. Just leg room for the kids. (There is none in the Macan as I'm 6'2".)
I considered the S90 but I love the look of the V90.

Cheers!
For rear leg room, nothing beats a S90 (the US/Asia spec or "L" Euro version), nothing comes close.
Behind me, (I'm a big guy, 6' 250#) there is room for luggage on the rear floor in front of the back seat!
If they made a V90L I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
For rear leg room, nothing beats a S90 (the US/Asia spec or "L" Euro version), nothing comes close.
Behind me, (I'm a big guy, 6' 250#) there is room for luggage on the rear floor in front of the back seat!
If they made a V90L I'd be all over it.
I’ve got a us MY17 v90cc and there’s plenty of leg room in the back compared to older model 2003 xc70 or 2007 v70.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was unaware of this lack of HD radio in current model editions. In DFW TX area, our classical music station broadcasts in HD and the sound is magical and the difference is quite noticeable if I go into an area where I lose the HD signal. I'm also saddened at the discontinuation of CD player option since I still spin CDs, but this seems to be a trend throughout the entire auto and home audio industries (references to new 'albums' on the audio forums seem to favor streaming versions over the physical media). I have the good fortune of have a CD spinner in my V90 paired with the B&W sound, and I'm glad I can play tunes ripped to a USB drive as an alternative.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not understanding the description of a suspension being 'Sporty'. The suspension is there to keep the tyre in contact with the road. For any given bump there is only one setting of spring and damper that will achieve that. If you go stiffer, the tyre will lose contact as the car crests the bump. Of course all bumps are not identical so a stiff setup will likely suit a flat race circuit where the dive under braking will be critical to a good lap time and the driver is unlikely to notice the nervous ride. But for roads we need the suspension to absorb. It won't be more 'sporty' if the tyres are dancing on the undulations. You'll see proof of this in Formula 1 when they go to Monaco. Because of drains and undulations they run the softest setting of the year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Do you think there is only one setting that would allow the wheels to remain in contact with the road?

For my preferences, less body roll would be great.

I'm not understanding the description of a suspension being 'Sporty'. The suspension is there to keep the tyre in contact with the road. For any given bump there is only one setting of spring and damper that will achieve that. If you go stiffer, the tyre will lose contact as the car crests the bump. Of course all bumps are not identical so a stiff setup will likely suit a flat race circuit where the dive under braking will be critical to a good lap time and the driver is unlikely to notice the nervous ride. But for roads we need the suspension to absorb. It won't be more 'sporty' if the tyres are dancing on the undulations. You'll see proof of this in Formula 1 when they go to Monaco. Because of drains and undulations they run the softest setting of the year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've always wondered, my car doesn't have adjustable suspension at all, but on these cars if you have it does it have adjustable dampers as well that change based on the mode? You can 100% change damper settings to be sportier or more comfortable, there is not just one optimal perfect setting for dampers. But I would guess these systems just stiffen up the air springs to reduce body roll. Which I still would definitely like to have at times.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
What's disappointing in/with the Volvo, in my opinion, is the degree to which it could be significantly better through electronics/programming. The state of the Android thing is just pitiful. It really is half-baked. As slow as Sensus is at times on my 2017 XC90, I would prefer that.

In regards to the handling/suspension, is the degree to which the "Four C" is or could be adjustable and the option of doing so on the V90 CC simply being absent. Four C plus the air suspension in the rear, for anyone interested in less body roll is simply a matter of programming. In my 2022 V90 CC there is no option; Dynamic, Comfort, etc. are history.

All of this is only pertinent if Volvo buyers are interested in these features/options.

Congrats on the new v90 cc!

We had a previous gen cayenne hybrid S. Even with its extra weight it handled so much better in full "dynamic sport+" mode (forgot the Porsche marketing moniker).

All that being said my 2017 v90 cc is so versatile in range of handling FOR the price and difference of around $35K. I don’t know why it would be called sub-par.

Plus I got massaging seats and self-driving.

I’d love to get an A6 All Road one day when the v90cc hits a 100K. :)

Happy driving.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
668 Posts
What's disappointing in/with the Volvo, in my opinion, is the degree to which it could be significantly better through electronics/programming. The state of the Android thing is just pitiful. It really is half-baked. As slow as Sensus is at times on my 2017 XC90, I would prefer that.

In regards to the handling/suspension, is the degree to which the "Four C" is or could be adjustable and the option of doing so on the V90 CC simply being absent. Four C plus the air suspension in the rear, for anyone interested in less body roll is simply a matter of programming. In my 2022 V90 CC there is no option; Dynamic, Comfort, etc. are history.

All of this is only pertinent if Volvo buyers are interested in these features/options.
Did you take a serious/long distance test drive, in addition to researching your V90CC, before switching from your Panamera? The V90CC is what it is, and was that way before you purchased it. Not sure of the benefit of continuing to mention its shortcomings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
To be clear, I think the car is very good. I wrote what I did simply because the quoted poster wrote something about it being referred to as "sub-par".

As for test drives, I'm not sure if you've been to a car dealer lately but there was/is nothing. Certainly no wagons. When I started my search, I wanted a V90 T6R. There were two V90s in the country and I couldn't get a local dealer to trade for it. The option was (and still is) to put a deposit and order the car, then evaluate it when it arrives 3 months later. So, to answer your question - lots of research (including driving one 2 years ago as a loaner) but no driving of the current model.

Did you take a serious/long distance test drive, in addition to researching your V90CC, before switching from your Panamera? The V90CC is what it is, and was that way before you purchased it. Not sure of the benefit of continuing to mention its shortcomings.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In my 2022 V90 CC there is no option; Dynamic, Comfort, etc. are history.
I haven't driven a 2022 V90CC, but I had a 2022 V60CC loaner. The drive selector wheel is gone, but the modes, including individual, were available through the menu. One nice thing was that once I set the Individual mode options it became the default.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i find that putting ultra high performance all seasons (passenger, non-SUV) - with stiff sidewalls, improves handling and body roll/sway/etc...granted its not a sports car, but once you know how to drive it with better handling tires, it performs well...especially with polestar - in all modes...it's not a bmw or porsche - never will be...

now, with my winter dedicated snow tires (Vredestein Wintrac pro) and 20" stock OEM ocean race wheels, it's very measured and predictable...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts