SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my 2022 V90 Cross Country B6 this weekend. I traded my 2018 Porsche Panamera 4S so it is quite the change. We also have a 2017 XC90 that has been perfect in four years of ownership.

A few comments and questions:
  • The lack of Apple CarPlay is ridiculous.
  • The seats are amazing.
  • The power of the B6 is more than adequate.
  • The look of Android auto reminds me of Windows XP :(
  • The interior is just gorgeous.
  • The Harman Kardon sound system is perfection. (I've got Bowers and Wilkins all over my home but I don't listen to music much in the car and thought it was a waste.)

Q1: Has anyone painted the the gray/silver portion of the front air-dam and rear valence body color? I really dislike it. Other than that I really think the car is beautiful.
Q2: Is there any way to speed up the button press to open the rear hatch/door? It seems like you have to hold it forever. On the XC90 it is a bit slow too but this seems painfully slow. (On the Porsche, it was press once and it opens. On the V90 it seems you have to hold it for 3-5 seconds.)
Q3: Is there a Waze app for this car?
Q4: Any idea when CarPlay is coming?
Q5: Do the Polestar wheels from the V60 fit the V90?
Q6: Is the instrument display customizable like the themes in Sensus?

Mentally I’m a bit detached from the car as I’m mourning the Panamera. That thing was/is sports-sedan perfection. (Job/commute changes necessitated a different vehicle). But I imagine that in a week or two the V90 will be like second nature to me.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
3,021 Posts
Q1: People have wrapped that portion -- definitely doable
Q2: The rear hatch should be opening after squeezing/pressing the button once, almost immediately. I'd ask the dealer/show them what's happening there
Q3: Not currently -- this is up to Android Automotive devs, but some say around March 2022
Q5: They have the same bore, but probably have a different offset

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Congrats - looking at getting one of these as well.

Regarding Polestar wheels, I'm assuming a P3 and I bet they'd fit but there's only one way to know for sure!

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
661 Posts
Mentally I’m a bit detached from the car as I’m mourning the Panamera. That thing was/is sports-sedan perfection. (Job/commute changes necessitated a different vehicle). But I imagine that in a week or two the V90 will be like second nature to me.
I own a 2020 V90 Inscription T6 AWD. Factory ordered. Love the car, but I doubt you will get over the loss of the Panamera. LOL!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
SPA polestar wheels are also available — but same bore in any case

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly, I think you're right regarding the Panamera.
My hope/dream is to get a used 911 in Summer 2022.

·
Registered
371 Posts
[*]The lack of Apple CarPlay is ridiculous.

[*]The look of Android auto reminds me of Windows XP :(

Q2: Is there any way to speed up the button press to open the rear hatch/door? It seems like you have to hold it forever. On the XC90 it is a bit slow too but this seems painfully slow. (On the Porsche, it was press once and it opens. On the V90 it seems you have to hold it for 3-5 seconds.)
I’m so glad I bought a 2020 with Sensus. CarPlay works flawlessly. Visually it’s so much nicer than the new Android system.

Yes I’ve noticed you have to hold the button forever. That said I rarely use the button. I normally open the hatch using my foot swipe standing behind the vehicle. It opens so fast there is no need to open it sooner before stepping out of the car.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
661 Posts
Sadly, I think you're right regarding the Panamera.
My hope/dream is to get a used 911 in Summer 2022.
Just curious. A friend owns a 2015 or 2016 V60 and is considering the purchase of a Panamera or a Macan. He's said that both have suspensions that are very comfortable, yet highly responsive. It's obvious to him that, while Volvo offers excellent seat comfort and safety, their suspension design is sub-par. From my own experience, I agree. As a new Volvo owner, after switching from a Porsche, I am really interested to hear your perspective.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Macan is an interesting vehicle. In my opinion, it is best thought of as a SUV version of the VW GTI. From a space perspective it is in the same category. Same for dynamics.

The Panamera is like a BMW M5 or Audi RS7. Or a smaller more sporty Mercedes S class. The Panamera's handling is sublime. It is actually longer than the XC90 and V90 but it feels a lot smaller because of the 4-wheel steering. And it rides so low on the ground that it follows every rise, dip and curve on the road. Add to that the sports exhaust, PDK, noise and thermally-insulated glass, and the air suspension. It was like having the best of all worlds. Super comfortable but in Sport+ it was raw and fast. The Panamera, with 21-inch wheels, is more comfortable than the V90 CC w/ air suspension and 20-inch wheels.

I considered getting the Macan instead of the V90 but the lack of space in rear seats made it unfeasible for two kids.

The one thing that is superior in the Volvo is the seats. The Porsche seats are more well-braced, sports seats. The Volvo seats are just heaven. I was looking forward to remote start (Porsche doesn't allow it on their app) but it seems like Volvo has killed that too.

My current problem is that I'm driving the V90 like its the Panamera and it does not respond as such.

I own a 2020 V90 Inscription T6 AWD. Factory ordered. Live the car, but I doubt you will get over the loss of the Panamera. LOL!
Just curious. A friend owns a 2015 or 2016 V60 and is considering the purchase of a Panamera or a Macan. He's said that both have suspensions that are very comfortable, yet highly responsive. It's obvious to him that, while Volvo offers excellent seat comfort and safety, their suspension design is sub-par. From my own experience, I agree. As a new Volvo owner, after switching from a Porsche, I am really interested to hear your perspective.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Does it have Polestar? Evidently won't come anywhere close, but will make it more responsive

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
My current problem is that I'm driving the V90 like its the Panamera and it does not respond as such.
I test drove a fully optioned 2019 MB E-450 Estate, prior to factory ordering my 2020 V90. I bought the V90 because of the extremely comfortable front seats and WHIPS (wife has has 2 back surgeries).
If it wasn't for this, hands-down, I would have ordered a 2020 E-Estate. The E's suspension, engine, transmission and quietness were all substantially better than my V90, although at $20k+ more, it should have been. LOL! As I said, though, the E's seats were very uncomfortable for my wife and I. MB owner forum comments supported my experience with the seats.

IMO, after the Panamera, from a ride perspective, you would find the E-Estate more enjoyable to drive, along with far more usable rear storage room and better highway gas mileage. On long trips in my V90, I find it a challenge to pack all I need in the rear storage area.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have wrapped and PPF the silver in the bumper. It's a lot of work to get the trim removed!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: fusace

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picture of the finished product? I went to a good place today to get it wrapped and they suggested painting it because of potential for the wrap to not adhere.

I have wrapped and PPF the silver in the bumper. It's a lot of work to get the trim removed!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not so concerned about storage. Just leg room for the kids. (There is none in the Macan as I'm 6'2".)
I considered the S90 but I love the look of the V90.

Cheers!

I test drove a fully optioned 2019 MB E-450 Estate, prior to factory ordering my 2020 V90. I bought the V90 because of the extremely comfortable front seats and WHIPS (wife has has 2 back surgeries).
If it wasn't for this, hands-down, I would have ordered a 2020 E-Estate. The E's suspension, engine, transmission and quietness were all substantially better than my V90, although at $20k+ more, it should have been. LOL! As I said, though, the E's seats were very uncomfortable for my wife and I. MB owner forum comments supported my experience with the seats.

IMO, after the Panamera, from a ride perspective, you would fond the E-Estate more enjoyable to drive, along with far more usable rear storage room and better highway gas mileage. On long trips in my V90, I find it a challenge to pack all I need in the rear storage area.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I assume there is no difference between Polestar from dealer and Polestar from factory. Somehow the Polestar was ticked on the order sheet even though I requested it.

By the way, the shifter operation is less than ideal. To have to toggle through each gear to get where you want to go... I pray it becomes second nature to me.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I assume there is no difference between Polestar from dealer and Polestar from factory. Somehow the Polestar was ticked on the order sheet even though I requested it.

By the way, the shifter operation is less than ideal. To have to toggle through each gear to get where you want to go... I pray it becomes second nature to me.
It was ticked, or wasn't ticked? Yeah -- the software optimization itself is the same wherever it's done. Gives you an overall power gain, plus different transmission behavior/shift points/tuning. The actual Polestar Engineered (not software optimized) models (available as the S/V/XC60) are different though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts