SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

just theoretically speaking...

673 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  volvo0toS60 
#1 ·
ok so i've wondered about this one thing a couple times while i was fishing recently. I don't plan on doing this to my car but what exactly would it take to convert a volvo s60 n/a to a turbo? there are a bunch of things to consider but I always wondered about what parts can stay and which have to go and what else is needed.

im the type of person to think about this kind of stuff just so I can have this information somewhere at the back of my head....any thoughts guys?

and i KNOW someone is going to say sell it and buy a turbo'd s60...so im saying it now lol

See less See more
#2 ·
basically none of your internal components are strong enough to be in a turbo - it would be, essentially, a full rebuild

#4 ·
wow that s60 is something...i actually didn't think of just getting a smashed up turbo'd s60 and swapping out just about everything...

seeing all that just tempts me to do something to mine lol too bad there's nothing really worth doing to make an n/a any faster at all...

if i could get that thing to 200 horse i would probably give it a shot but nothing to my knowledge is doable without turboing it....unless some of you guys know of anything?...again im just a thinker

#5 ·
Re: (volvo0toS60)

Quote, originally posted by volvo0toS60 »
wow that s60 is something...i actually didn't think of just getting a smashed up turbo'd s60 and swapping out just about everything...

seeing all that just tempts me to do something to mine lol too bad there's nothing really worth doing to make an n/a any faster at all...

if i could get that thing to 200 horse i would probably give it a shot but nothing to my knowledge is doable without turboing it....unless some of you guys know of anything?...again im just a thinker

See, in Europe the T5 is much harder to come by, and is much more expensive, so it's more worthwhile for him.

But over here in the states, it's much more worth it to just buy a T5 and sell your n/a. I learned the hard way with my S80 2.9l n/a, so I eventually bought a T5M. A Conversion is certainly possible, but if you're going to go through the process of building a 2.4l, you better just put a 3076R on it and make 400whp, a T5 is definitely not fast enough to spend $5-$8K on building up to a T5. Plus, the S60 is a FWD platform, so in the end, it's really a waste to make it that fast. You'll just keep on hitting the FWD barrier and wish you just got a RWD or proper AWD car.

#7 ·
yea that's definitely true. it would definitely cost a lot and would still only be front wheel drive. rear or all wheel is always better than front. which is why i noticed a lot of cars a being put into all wheel or rear wheel setups....

when you ended up selling your n/a, how much did u get for it and how much did u have to add to it to make the upgrade?

i would consider doing something like that but i rarely see any deals in my area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.