SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a few some projetcs from a few weekends ago, just bored figured I'd share.

Flushed my PS fluid using CHF 11S, made a big difference. I'm fairly sure it was the first time it was flushed.

Also replaced my coolant tank, was leaking.

Next replaced the cabin filter, I had the dirty one replaced 20k ago when I moved to Fairfax VA...didnt think it would get that dirty!
Also the filter they used was wrong..

I also took apart my drivers side headlight because the up/down leveling wasnt working, found a tab popped out, easy fix. I also cleaned the insde of the lens which actually made a noticeable difference visually. Will probably do the passengers side another time.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How hard was it to pull the headlight glass?
Not difficult, once it’s removed from the car about a 4/10 difficulty wise.

After removing the metal retaining clips one of two things will happen

1. The glass will already be separating making it very easy to pull apart without a mess; I used plastic trim tools to pry it back. This is made even easier if you are working on a cool/cold headlight. The sealant isn’t as tacky then.

2. The glass will be fused to the housing, at this point pre-heat your oven to 175-200 Degrees. Set a timer for 2-3 mins. With some oven gloves put the headlight in. Remove it after 2-3mins and start separating the glass from the housing.

When reinstalling, heat the housing up again to get a good seal. If you've sealed a bathtub or sink this is in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
How did you do the PS flush? Looks like you retreived the fluid from the rack, not the pump then? Isn't it under a good amount of pressure? Enough to spew it much farther than that little catchment?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How did you do the PS flush? Looks like you retreived the fluid from the rack, not the pump then? Isn't it under a good amount of pressure? Enough to spew it much farther than that little catchment?
I used the same method you would doing a transmission flush at home, I just had the small container there from draining the PS reservior and photo purposes :)

Two containers are needed, I would use something bigger then whats in the photo. A gallon milk container worked for me

1. New Fluid (Have plenty on hand, two or more bottles)
2. Empty container

Drain the PS reservoir; I just flipped it on its side and poured it out with the piping still connected.
Next undo the return and feed lines (they may drip) Have rags/towles ready
Next Stick the feed line into the new PS fresh fluid, and the return line into the empty container.
With a friend, have them start the car as you hold the pipes and watch until clean fluid starts coming out of the return line, making sure NOT to run the feed line dry! This all happens pretty fast, at most a min or more for a whole gallon to shoot through the system.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dang, 20K and the cabin filter looks like that?! I guess the air around here is pretty dirty, I should probably take a look at mine...

I saw moisture in one of my headlights the other morning, so I guess I'll be baking my headlights soon as well.
What kind of glue did you use? How's it holding up?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
some great tips, thanks!

P

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang, 20K and the cabin filter looks like that?! I guess the air around here is pretty dirty, I should probably take a look at mine...

Yea I was shocked, I grew up in central PA and did a lot of hiking/biking/skiing/camping and rarely saw even my air filter get that dirty let alone the cabin filter. I do drive all over the east coast, upstate NY etc etc.

As for the headlight, the adhesive can be reused if you heat it up again. Unless it’s really dirty. Just clean all of the crud off the lens with some denatured rubbing alcohol. The adhesive reminds me of the poster tack, pretty easy to work with.

To be honest the headlight I did is holding up really well, as soon as you press the lens back in install the metal clips and let it sit for about 30 mins to re-cure. Make sure you have a nice work space (aka dining room table..) a towel, small and large flat head screw drivers, plastic knife. That’s about all I used. Just avoid touching the silver housing inside the headlight with your bare fingers, the grease will stain.

Good luck

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you want I'll take a bunch of photos this weekend of the process, now I want to do my passenger side!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts