SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I just scored an almost new Garrett GT3071R turbo for doing a bunch of fab work on a buddy's Audi Quattro. It's a T3 flange with the .63 exhaust housing. Looks like it's just about perfect for the R motor.

I was wondering about exhaust manifold options. I found one on ViVA Performance. I'm sure many of you know the one I'm talking about. Its cast iron with a T3 flange and an external wastegate flange for a tial 38mm. This thing looks to be perfect for my project, but it is described as only being fitted to front wheel drive cars...I have a 04 S60R manual trans. I like my four wheel drive...

http://www.vivaperformance.com/log-exhaust-manifold-5-cyl-volvo-engines/

Has anyone used this manifold on the R cars? Are there other manifolds out there with an external wastegate set up?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm just interested in about 400 to 420 flywheel horsepower. The 3071R should be good for even more than that. Plus this one was "free"...after about 8 or 9 hours of work on his Audi.

That ATP manifold says AWD volvos...I'm not sure if it's just the angles but the ATP manifold turbo flange looks to be cut further in than the ViVA version .

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Have you considered either grinding the flange off the stock exhaust manifold or using one of these adapters?

Stock manifold should not be a limiting factor at your target power levels.

I think Boosted S60R used the ATP manifold in his build, which required significant changes to the intake and exhaust routing. He posted a lot of pics in his build thread, but I'm not sure if they're still accessible, because I can't view pictures while I'm at work: THREAD LINK

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow dude...that will be very useful actually.^

As far as using a stock manifold, I'm thinking about it. This turbo I'm getting has no provisions for a wastegate. But I've seen other people weld a tial flange to the exhaust housing. I was thinking that could work.

·
Registered
535 Posts
As far as using a stock manifold, I'm thinking about it. This turbo I'm getting has no provisions for a wastegate. But I've seen other people weld a tial flange to the exhaust housing. I was thinking that could work.
A friend of mine actually does that with stock, cast iron, Nissan exhaust manifolds if you need a good reference.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Nice find... definitely more robust than some rubber hoses which will heat age over time with high temps, become brittle and ultimately fail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts