SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Leo and I'm a new owner of an 07 S60R.

Here's a picture of her:

I'm having a small problem(I hope)
There is a slight drip coming out of the bottom of the Coolant reservoir where the larger hose connects via radiator clamp. I tries to tighten the clamp but it didn't seem to fix the drip. It drips very slow but I don't want it to drip at all.

What should be my next step in fixing this problem? Replacing res? If its not that then what could it be?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome And nice R, how many miles, interior color, transmission? Most likely just replace the reservoir and upper hose to start and that should stop your issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome And nice R, how many miles, interior color, transmission? Most likely just replace the reservoir and upper hose to start and that should stop your issue.

Hey thanks man! I just noticed it leaking today luckily the leak was very easily identified. Should I go with the OEM res? Any ideas as to the cheapest way to go about getting the parts?

72,xxx miles.
Blue and black leather interior.
Sadly its an automatic but hey gotta work with what I got. I absolutely love it though.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nice R dude and you are lucky that it has so low mileage. First thing you should do if you're really into the car and for future self diy maintenance get a vida-dice setup. That way you will be able to scan the whole car for troubleshooting and so much more... all you need is a laptop win7,vida program and a dice scanner.

For your leak i think the reservoir can still be fine, unless the nipple is cracked it is most likely just the hose that needs replacing, is it cracked or too soft ? There is a lot of pressure in the reservoir when the car is running so it will try to exit from a weak point and leak. The return upper coolant hose on the top of the reservoir was leaking on mine when the car was hot, i had to retighten it multiple times to get it to stop leaking. Eventually will have to replace the hose when it will start to crack, any cracks inside the hose will make the coolant leak even if its really small.

Is there any mods on the car or is it still bone stock ?

Keep us updated,

peace !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its completely stock except for a boost gauge mounted on the dash.

Where can I get a dice scanner? Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie..

As far as the reservoir issue, when I remove the hose to replace should I flush all of the coolant and refill? I'm going to replace the hose tomorrow but I know I'm going to lose some coolant in the process. I've heard its no good to mix coolants as far as colors and brands. Any leads in the right direction are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Its completely stock except for a boost gauge mounted on the dash.

Where can I get a dice scanner? Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie..

As far as the reservoir issue, when I remove the hose to replace should I flush all of the coolant and refill? I'm going to replace the hose tomorrow but I know I'm going to lose some coolant in the process. I've heard its no good to mix coolants as far as colors and brands. Any leads in the right direction are greatly appreciated.

At your mileage the coolant is probably still in good condition, what colour is it ? Blue coolant is volvo OEM, there are alternatives like zerex g-05 which is yellow, if your coolant is green get that **** out immediately.

If the coolant is fine and clear, just refill the loss with the right coolant, no need to flush out 8L of fluid just for a hose. when you install everything back refill the reservoir to max line and start the car, watch the level it will start to drink some gradually, refill until it stops drinking. Put back your cap and let the engine warm up slighty and then with cap off ( Dont let the engine warm up too hot or it will have too much pressure, slowly remove the cap and let the pressure bleed out gently ) squeeze the biggest coolant hose next to engine and watch for bubbles coming out. If bubbles come out it might start drinking fluid again due to air pockets being bled out, refill to a bit more than between min and max.

I can pm u how to get a vida-dice setup if you really want to, i will do it later during next days, google helps too.

GL !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At your mileage the coolant is probably still in good condition, what colour is it ? Blue coolant is volvo OEM, there are alternatives like zerex g-05 which is yellow, if your coolant is green get that **** out immediately.

If the coolant is fine and clear, just refill the loss with the right coolant, no need to flush out 8L of fluid just for a hose. when you install everything back refill the reservoir to max line and start the car, watch the level it will start to drink some gradually, refill until it stops drinking. Put back your cap and let the engine warm up slighty and then with cap off ( Dont let the engine warm up too hot or it will have too much pressure, slowly remove the cap and let the pressure bleed out gently ) squeeze the biggest coolant hose next to engine and watch for bubbles coming out. If bubbles come out it might start drinking fluid again due to air pockets being bled out, refill to a bit more than between min and max.

I can pm u how to get a vida-dice setup if you really want to, i will do it later during next days, google helps too.

GL !
Just checked and it seems to be the OEM Coolant (darker blueish) when I dabbed it onto a white napkin it seemed really clear though. When I replace the hose can I mix the yellow G-05 with the Volvo OEM?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was just curious, there's an 07 SR for sale where I live with the same color combo and transmission. Replace the hose and you should be good for your leak. And as far as Vida is concerned theres quite a few threads asking about it but eBay will be your best friend to buy one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to replace the hose tomorrow but need to know if I can mix the G-05 coolant with the Volvo OEM that's currently in there.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Idk if you can, if it s a concern maybe just flush the system or see how it'll work mixing the two, and if an issue arises then flush the system. I personally use the prestone crap from advance auto and I've never had an issue with any of the R's I've ran it with. Or try to save some of the coolant that Is in the reservior and just top it off with distilled water when done

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just checked and it seems to be the OEM Coolant (darker blueish) when I dabbed it onto a white napkin it seemed really clear though. When I replace the hose can I mix the yellow G-05 with the Volvo OEM?

Just buy some volvo OEM coolant from a dealer, i wouldnt mix brands together but you wanna make sure that ANY coolant you put in the R is HOAT.

The Volvo coolant is a HOAT coolant where most of the others are OAT coolants. It's not best to mix them.
HOAT's contain a Hybrid Organic acid technology so it includes what is in the OAT's along with things like sebacic acid and a small amount of silicate. HOAT coolants are used in heavy diesel trucks to deal with the extreme heat, cavitation and loacalized boiling issues with a high output turbocharged engine.

Will be much cheaper just filling up the loss with a bottle or two of volvo OEM coolant, when flushing the system you will need a lot of distilled water, a lot of coolant and a superflush bottle which will cost much more in the end for just a hose so.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Idk if you can, if it s a concern maybe just flush the system or see how it'll work mixing the two, and if an issue arises then flush the system. I personally use the prestone crap from advance auto and I've never had an issue with any of the R's I've ran it with. Or try to save some of the coolant that Is in the reservior and just top it off with distilled water when done

Which one ? Make sure its HOAT coolant and not OAT man, that's really important since OAT is not compatibble with our radiator.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
dont but coolant from the dealer. get some pentosin NF. its the same as Volvo coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to be flushing and replacing with new just as a good maintenance practice. I don't have a Volvo dealer super close so it would take several days for me to acquire the OEM coolant. I'm sorta impatient but more or less trying to get this done before the New Year.

I'll post later after I replace the hose and the coolant. Should be an easy fix as far as the hose goes. As long as they have it in stock somewhere here in town.

2 birds with one stone.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Go into prettymuch any parts store and get Pentosin Pentafrost NF. Pentosin is an OE supplier to Volvo.

You will need 3-4 bottles to do a full flush, but most only carry 2 so you will have to do some driving but it's in an R so that's not bad.

Pick up 4 gallons distilled water at Walmart for $.88 each and go to town flushing out the system. The lifetime of the blue Volvo Coolant is 7 years but I still wouldn't push it that long.

My local NAPA, Autozone, Pep Boys and Orilys all have Pentafrost NF.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Go into prettymuch any parts store and get Pentosin Pentafrost NF. Pentosin is an OE supplier to Volvo.

You will need 3-4 bottles to do a full flush, but most only carry 2 so you will have to do some driving but it's in an R so that's not bad.

Pick up 4 gallons distilled water at Walmart for $.88 each and go to town flushing out the system. The lifetime of the blue Volvo Coolant is 7 years but I still wouldn't push it that long.

My local NAPA, Autozone, Pep Boys and Orilys all have Pentafrost NF.
Should I use a flushing aid with the distilled water? Or just flush with the water?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Should I use a flushing aid with the distilled water? Or just flush with the water?

I flushed my whole coolant not long ago and put back Zerex g-05 50/50 premixed coolant ( walmart has it ), i flushed it with galons of distilled water and a bottle of prestone super flush since it helps getting rid of all the deposits.

You'd still be fine flushing it with only water since your system is probably still pretty clean at 76k, up to you.

Incase you needed help with flushing your system here is a little diy on how to do it:

Drive the car a bit so the deposits in the coolant keeps floating and doesnt sit all at the bottom when you flush it, let the car cool down a bit after but not too long. When caR is cool loosen the coolant plug and drain it completely ( coolant plug is plastic so be gentle with the wrench, ask me i broke mine ). Close the plug and add prestone super flush into reservoir tank, pour distilled water until it reaches full cold mark and start the car with heater all the way up high ( this makes the coolant circulate in the heating system ) for 8-10 minutes until operating temp reached, keep filling with water if needed when car is running. Let the car cool down and drain everything again and close back the plug, flush once more with only full distilled water and let the car run for 8 minutes with heater on. Drain again and repeat if necessary with distilled water until it runs clear. At this point i knew there was still water in the block since i was only removing the radiator plug so i added half water and half coolant in my system for another flush just because i was afraid of having more water than coolant in the end since the fluid in the block isnt completely drained out ( this isnt ideal i know but i live in a cold state so i needed to make sure there was more coolant than water, using coolant for flushing is a waste but thats what i get for being lazy and not removing block plug, if you live in a hot state i wouldnt worry about more water in the system. )

When the car has cooled again you can add your coolant mix to full mark, start the car when you're done and let it run a bit, watch the coolant often to see if you need to add more, you might have to squeeze your big coolant hose a couple times with cap off to get the air pocket that has build up inside the hose due to draining, it might drink some more coolant at this point just add more.

FYI I know there is another plug behind the block that you can remove, you might not need to reflush it a couple times if you loosen that plug since it will drain the coolant from the block and not only the radiator, flushing and running the car mutiple times is just to make sure it circulates everywhere and flush properly if you are only loosening the coolant radiator drain plug, not sure on the exact location of the block plug but you can verify via google.

Make sure you check the level of your coolant very often after the flush to make sure it doesnt lack any coolant, on a side note when i was done with my flush i went for a drive and a minute after the coolant red light came on and i stopped the car immediatly and when i checked there was almost no coolant left in the reservoir so i instantly added more. I assume i didnt bleed the system correctly after filling, which is why you should always keep more coolant with you in the car for the first couple drives just incase. Lacking coolant in a hot R = overheating = engine block will crack.

GL, ill pm u in later for vida-dice infos like you asked.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts