SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Video of the car at the bottom.

Hello all , just bought a 2nd car that I plan on using as a daily to get to and from the train station.

This will be my 5th Volvo I've owned. So I have a decent idea on how they drive and feel when running well.

So I see the car , the body looks very good. Was pretty surprised how well the body and paint looked. Popped the hood , it looked ok , no oil drips or any sign of clean up of older leaks. Seemed solid.

So I take it for a drive , and the clutch and tranny seemed to be extremely smooth. I'm comparing them to my previous 850 and 01 s60 , both were also manual.

The engine on this t5 was quiet and had alot of power. Definitely seemed faster then either of my v70r autos. 98/00. I was pretty happy so far to be honest. Seemed way to good to be true for 1500$

passed nys inspection.

So I continue to look through everything. Now here is where stuff gets questionable. I notice the clock on the dash is spinning through numbers like a counter as the car is on.

So I'm thinking glitch maybe ? I go through the Carfax and it seems there was service record on the cluster being worked on. That was at 188000 miles. The dash reads 130000!

Ah hah!.. now I see why the car is priced the way it is.

Not really sure but I'm thinking someone did a cluster swap and maybe the miles from the used cluster stayed ?

Just a guess.

Anyway , that was about 2 years ago. So I figure the car has around 200k. Which is fine by me still , as ive had 2-3 of my older Volvo's go into the 200+ range , the 01 s60 was at 300k when I sold it.

So here I am , asking for your thoughts , I already bought the car , picking it up tomorrow. The milage isn't really a concern to me since I plan on keeping it for the Long haul.

Would you have passed ? Or would you have jumped on it like I did. Because a running good t5 is a pretty fun 2nd car to use as a daily to the train station.

Sorry for bad typing in advance , on a phone and it doesn't seem to agree with this website.

Thank you.

https://i.imgur.com/tziZKzU.gifv

·
Registered
39 Posts
For $1500 it is a who cares. Just make sure the title matches that the odometer is not accurate.

If you are enjoying it and it works for you then you are solid!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I paid a grand for an 02 S60 T5 manual with 200K. Best money I ever spent. Needed some ball joints but that was about it. Drive the F out of it and have fun.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
A NYS title has a box that should be checked if the odometer doesn't reflect the miles actually on the car.

Probably not an issue at this point. Drive it until it drops!

·
Registered
17,400 Posts
The link doesn't work if that's a picture. Let me put your mind at ease for the clock - our 02 XC does this, and has for the last few years. Eventually it stops once in a while, and did that last night on my trip home after a concert. The time was right! We've not had any related issues.
The mileage is reading from the car the gauges came from. VIDA will tell the real mileage.

Nice buy - 1500 for a fast T5M? You made out if it's clean and sorted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for confirming my thoughts! I figure for 1500 it's either a gem or a not. But it's so cheap I figured why not.

I think the link to the video is fixed.

·
Registered
17,400 Posts
And load bars too, with locks!!
Thanks for confirming my thoughts! I figure for 1500 it's either a gem or a not. But it's so cheap I figured why not.
I think the link to the video is fixed.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Black on black, T5, manual... def. worth the price of admission!

·
Registered
515 Posts
If the clutch is smooth you are happy because the problem with these cars is the slave cylinder - engine out and complete new clutch assy. Worth watching the brake fluid level for peace of mind

The next thing is the PCV, quick test

The 2002 the dash (DIM) goes bad, yours will go bad in the next 1-2 years, send it to Ebay repair services. The owner has already replaced it, reason for the miles change. I swapped mine out and now it shows 60K miles MORE :facepalm:

For $1500 it may indeed be a rare find, keep it as long as possible

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah that's what I was figuring. I seem to have lucked out with the clutch , looks like it was replaced 2 years ago. Would explain why it felt so smooth.

Going to test the pcv tonight , also take a good solid look at the timing belt. No sticker saying when it was done last. Carfax report says all belt(s) changed at a 2017 service center.

Going to have to see what it looks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts