SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty excited to have purchased a new to me 1962 PV544. It's red and is in it's original paint! ALL trim, beauty rings, hub caps etc. are PRESENT! Body is near flawless with no dents or rust. Even the original seats are there under covers. This thing surprises me more every day. The motor turns over by hand and the tell tale signs of the point at which it probably was no longer used seems to be the air filters in the trunk, so I'm guessing the carbs were giving trouble. Last registered in 1984. I'll want to know the best place to source the best materials for a rebuild and where to find that data on these side drafts. I have no hesitation doing them myself and any and all the work on this car. The PV544 was one of the first cars I drove around as a 16 year old working at a gas station for my first job. I didn't want to be seen in that thing then and like many 16 year olds, drove the crap out of it wondering why I couldn't kill it. So here I am at 63 years appreciating it once again, more responsibly. I've had numerous Volvos, mostly 240's through a 940 and I love the brand. So the immediate question is, I have no keys, but clear numbers on the locks for the ignition and doors. It's not titled in my name as such so I wonder if the dealership is going to help me out. This will be a question I have for them as I laid my huge key ring on top of my truck a week ago with ALL my volvo keys and drove off. Never done that before. Waiting for the hurricane Dorian to hit screwed with everyone's mind. So, I have MANY keys which need to be made for a slew of 240's in my stable. Can keys be made from the lock itself?

So for the minute, what's the best method of getting keys made for the ignition, door and gas cap?

Second, is where do I point myself for the best information on those carbs for a rebuild which I'll do myself, and, where do I get one of those sycnronizers I've seen on youtube to sync up the carbs.

Finally, how do I tell if this is a SPORT model. The trunk is missing the volvo badge, but there are 4 hole which looks like it could have been for "volvo," and "sport." But I have no idea as to how else to tell and what the differences are between Sport and non-Sport.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bummer! I've had a mind to give my '57 444 to one on the grandsons when he got his license. You mean he won't appreciate it and will try to kill it?

I wouldn't try to start the car on old gas. Drain the tank and the lines or use a drip can.

I've found that hooking up a push button remote start button is very helpful in working on the car. It's just a button that you hook up between the positive battery terminal and the starter and allows you to turn over the engine from under the hood. Even start it if you turn on the ignition.

I can't really help you on keys. I assume you have one of those ignitions with the armored cable which makes it even more difficult. If you can get the ignition out of the dash, there is a detent in the tumbler that you press to remove the tumbler. But I think it needs to be turned one click first. Ron Kwas will probably weigh in with some sound advice, but see this info from him.

https://www.sw-em.com/ignition_switch_key_breakage_tech_article.htm

http://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Ignition%20from%20Scratch.htm#Static Timing

Assuming you have SU carburetors, what you are looking for is called a Uni-Sys, or simply a carburetor synchronizer. Moss Motors (british cars) has it as part #386-200 for about $29.00. But it simply an air measuring tool and won't help you to start the car. You can also use a piece of hose and listen with your ear and adjust for equalized sound. I, however, remove the dashpots and pistons and with a vernier caliper adjust the jets until they are 0.10" to 0.012" below the bridges. I've also seen the Uni-Sys on e-bay.

I've found V-P Autoparts my easiest source for Volvo parts as they have a warehouse in the Carolinas.

I come from the British world. For SU carbs, John Twist, University Motors has some good videos on the SU carbs.

Start to keep you eyes peeled for a brake hub puller.

·
Registered
594 Posts
bo90;

Thanks for reference...I have already given my 2cents and links on the Brickboard 544 forum where he crossposted.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
bo90;

Thanks for reference...I have already given my 2cents and links on the Brickboard 544 forum where he crossposted.

Cheers
Could you post a link, please? I went over there to see it (hoping for pictures), but as a non member subscriber, participant, finding the thread is not simple. And, I am simple:) (Beat you to it!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.