SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very excited! Below is a link full of pictures at the car dealership (large 1600x1200). I take delivery this Wednesday.

Car is Black on Black with all options, and best of all a 5spd.

Of course I plan on tricking it out, below is my MOD list:

1. IPD lower, anti-sway bar, and Bilsteins
2. Motronic upgrade (chip it)
3. Remove Cat. Converter (no inspections here)
4. Euro side signals
5. Skid plate
6. Black mesh grill

And more...

http://particle.replic.net/volvo

Regards,
John
(selling my 1982 242 GLT ti)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congrats.

It sounds like your going to build a real torque-monster.

[This message has been edited by ICONCLS (edited 05-07-2001).]

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Congrats on your new car as well! I think that those S70 T5 manuals are pretty rare. Good find!

-Drew

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
That is a heck of a find. Good luck with the upgrades. I'd be careful with the cat though. If your state doesn't have inspections, that doesn't mean they won't in the next few years, and it also makes resale tough. A good sport exhaust can be very effective and still keep the car compliant.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sounds great John -

I'm sure you've just poured through your literature...can you tell me what the stock HP rating is for the '98 T5 engine? I've got a bet going with a buddy here. I'm sure most everybody on this board could tell me the answer, but heck, since you just bought one....

Oh, and one more thing...does your manual state that 91 octane is the "minimum" or the "recommended" octane level?

Thanks a bunch.

- Darell

·
Registered
528 Posts
Man, I hope that thing looks as good in person, as it does in your pictures! What a great-looking car. Even the wheels are clean.

One thing though. Looks like they put the steering wheel on upside-down for you

- Darell

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stock HP is 236. And it is pulls in 2nd Gear nicely!

And yes, it states in the manual to use 91 octane or better, in essence premium gas.

I just recently lowered it and changed the grill out... looks sharp! The car is great! My next project is to replace the red LED for the alarm out to a blue LED. Not too sure what this will involve, but should be easy. I think I will post this to see if anyone has done it yet...

John

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks for the reply John -

Ironically, it really feels like my friends' '98 T5 pulls better than my '01 T5 with 10 more horsies. HP isn't the answer to everything, is it? Sure is nice to have some on tape though.

Well, I scored on the 236 HP (he thought he had 246, but didn't have his manual with him), and I'd guessed that 91 octane was suggested, but not the minium required. For '01, in case you're interested, the maual says 91 is best, but that 87 is the minimum.

Putting a blue LED for the alarm flasher is a neat idea. That'll make it stand out, certainly. Make sure you use a nice bright one in there. Something to watch out for: Is the stock LED self-flashing, or does the Volvo contain the flashing unit? You'll obviously want to replace with a like unit. They're sure doing great things with LEDs these days.

Keep us posted.

- Darell

·
Registered
27 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by John242:
Remove Cat. Converter (no inspections here)
I dump all of my oil and other fluids in the creek behind the dugout at the junior high. It isn't legal but it may as well be because nobody will know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by John242:
I'm very excited! Below is a link full of pictures at the car dealership (large 1600x1200). I take delivery this Wednesday.

Car is Black on Black with all options, and best of all a 5spd.

Of course I plan on tricking it out, below is my MOD list:

1. IPD lower, anti-sway bar, and Bilsteins
2. Motronic upgrade (chip it)
3. Remove Cat. Converter (no inspections here)
4. Euro side signals
5. Skid plate
6. Black mesh grill

And more...

http://particle.replic.net/volvo

Regards,
John
(selling my 1982 242 GLT ti)

Get aluminium intercooler pipes,like the originally design intercooler pipes in 1994 cars which passed on top of the engine. It shorten and rerouted all the ducting.You will feel a gain in response in throttle!

thanks
JWKC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts