SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just picked up a 2003 XC90 T6 with 110k. No I did not do my research before buying, had I done that, I would have opted for something different.

Well First day I got it home, and the starter decided it wanted to be replaced.. So I did that. Then immediately ordered some Denso Irridium plugs, new fuel,air,oil,cabin filters of which should be here today.

Well it didn't take long for me to notice a strong gas smell coming from it, did a little research and found the recall on the fuel pump. (scheduled for it to go in Monday to be fixed) also found the recalls for the tie rod ball joints and wiper arms that I am going to have them replace for S&G's since it is free.

The stealership that sold it to me said it just had tranny put in, but having troubles verifying it though it does have numbers on it, so assume it is a used one. (boo)

Well when I called Volvo to schedule the apt the service writer asked "did you do any research before buying this?" I proceeded to say. "um... no, not really" of which then he started telling me about the many problems these have, especially the tranny's... Joy

Oh and I also have the traction control error message too, so assuming a Yaw sensor, may test fit a different one to see if it fixes it

Anyways, since I find forums a great source of info I wanted to join, and ask for any advice you guys feel I should know about these. I am more of a VW/Audi guy, but the wife wanted this, so want to make it a reliable daily for her.

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Other than the tranny, a solid vehicle. The motor is near bulletproof.

With it being 10 years old, if if was regularly serviced, it's electrical gremlins (typical for 2003's) should have been exorcised.

I would also suggest rerouting the transmission cooler.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than the tranny, a solid vehicle. The motor is near bulletproof.

With it being 10 years old, if if was regularly serviced, it's electrical gremlins (typical for 2003's) should have been exorcised.

I would also suggest rerouting the transmission cooler.

I will have to find a link to a how to. I am good at working on cars, but like to have a guide. I am surprised that with how many of these are on the road some company hasn't made an upgraded tranny of some sort, or found a way to fit the V8 tranny to these. In the VW/Audi scene there is pretty much anything you can imagine manufactured.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long do the turbos typically last on these. I know on my S4 I changed them out at around 100k with a timing belt job.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I will have to find a link to a how to. I am good at working on cars, but like to have a guide. I am surprised that with how many of these are on the road some company hasn't made an upgraded tranny of some sort, or found a way to fit the V8 tranny to these. In the VW/Audi scene there is pretty much anything you can imagine manufactured.
As that GM tranny was used in a bunch of other vehicles, there are many shops who rebuild them. There are a couple that offer "upgraded rebuilds" and I think some forum members might have opted for the beefed-up rebuilds, though I haven't seen any follow-up about how the "upgraded" ones have been performing. Do a search and you'll see.

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
:thumbup: for another VW/Audi guy who bought a Volvo for his wife lol. I was looking into the T6 aswell, but after reading so much on the tranny's I stuck with the 2.5T instead. I wanted teh V8, but she said "I don't drive fast and I want to save on gas." Even though the gas consumption isn't too much more but w/e. We both love the car and it's really grown on me since we bought ours in Jan. Anyway enjoy your purchase, just keep on top or tranny and you should get a good amount out of it before it goes.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Nice!!!!! If you are doing the parts install, check the coils for any crack, pcv system, clean the maf with crc maf cleaner, bushings, and enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, so far so good. New Fuel Pump got installed and it doesn't feel as "laggy" and the smell is gone. I had a feeling it wasn't getting all the fuel it was supposed to. Tonight I am hopefully selling my Isuzu Trooper so I can pick up a new (well, 2005 or 6 hopefully, so not really new) Audi for myself as this is the wife's car. But tomorrow is going to be doing the "tune up",, and will be sure to check/ water test the coil packs. Then going to dig into what I assume is the YAW sensor. Figure I will open it up to see if it is a bad solder joint or capacitor or something. I know with my old Saab, everyone complained about the wiper motors going bad but everyone just bought new ones, so I used my electrical knowledge and dissected mine (yes I bought a new one too, so thought I would try to help the Saab community by finding the problem) and sure enough it was a corroded resistor. Put a "how to" up on the website and have helped many people save money from buying a $150 motor when the culprit is just a $0.55 resistor. Hopefully I am able to do the same here. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know of anywhere to order the badging of the new volvo's without paying dealership prices? Also want to find the Projector headlights and LED tails like the new ones. Would be a nice facelift

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
You will have bulb out messages if your XC90 was not originally equipped with xenons. You also will not be able to get the ABL feature to work regardless of what you do.

Headlamps are a safety item. Stick to what you have. Just install brighter bulbs. I installed silver star ultras and have been pleased with them.

I am anti aftermarket HID's because 99% of the installs are f'd up resulting in blinding oncoming drivers and drivers in front of you.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i have HIDS on my XC90, no cel, no problems, you JUST need to know where to get it and which ones. Today bulbs are much better than old style. I always install H7 with shield like D2R so you about bliding people.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine has factory HID's with the D2S or R bulbs... whatever they are, so should be a direct swap.... hopefully... ONLY option this thing doesn't have is the tv in the back. and I only paid $7100 for it with 110k. I think it was a fair deal. Just had to put a starter in it as it wouldn't always start, and had the recalled fuel pump done, so I am pretty happy. Wife hasn't driven it but once so far haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts