SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

New to Volvo but not new to European cars or cars in general. My current DD is a 2011 GTI which is a fantastic car but some of you might be familiar with the problems VW has had with its Tornado Red paint, mainly with the MKIV R32's. I bought my GTI in T-Red thinking this issue was long gone but a month ago I noticed clear coat blisters on 1/4 of the car. VW has refused to do anything about it which really rubbed me the wrong way. One thing led to another and I decided having a car payment wasn't for me since fixing a car from time to time is enjoyable and a warranty isn't important.

So... Before the clear coat becomes a big issue the GTI will be sold to CarMax in the next few weeks. I started looking for a replacement DD and remembered the S60R, a car I've always had a secret crush on. After scouring CL I found a 1 owner 2004 Black/Gobi 6spd R with 106k for $7500obo. Seemed like a solid deal so I made the 2.5hr trip to check it out last Monday, left a deposit, and went back the following day to pick it up. Ended up getting it for $7k.

This car is a mixed bag, I can't figure out the previous owner. The car seems like its been selectively taken care of where its clear the paint has been regularly waxed but the interior has been seriously neglected. I'm hoping the leather can be brought back to life but it all else fails I'm tracking down a replacement set of seats.

Maintenance records are a big deal to me and although the interior was almost a deal breaker I took a step back and thought this car is at least 3k less than most others and its mechanically solid. The owner spent 5k at the dealer in the past 6 months fixing a laundry list of things including but not limited to steering stops, spring seats, clutch/slave cylinder, angle gear re-seal, timing belt, control arm bushings, alignment, tires, expansion tank, alternator, and serp belt. There are other things I'm missing but all the big ticket items have been done.

Mechanically it does need a wheel bearing somewhere and likely front end links but neither are a big deal.

Plans are to give it the TLC to bring it back into nice shape and do some tasteful mods here and there. I've put 600 miles on it the past 48hrs and its hands down the best highway cruiser I've ever had yet seems very competent in the corners. The seats in these are unbelievable!

At the DMV getting the temp tag

T-gives morning wash

Gross interior

E-brake way out of adjustment (adjusted it tonight)

Rear seat saw 8 years of Yellow Lab and is pretty gross

Needs a bit of stitch work - fixing tomorrow

Adjusted the e-brake. It takes 5 clicks to reach solid engagement, does that seem about right?

My GTI in its prime. Just finished parting it out.

My weekend toy

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Welcome to SS! Car looks great from the outside though, and seems like the previous owner took car of it mechanically.
Interior needs some serious love. Let me know if you're interested in a mint interior (in Nordcap). I'm looking for buyers or interest of my interior from my car, and it'll make your car look almost as good as new, and since my car is a 2004 as well. It'll be a direct swap.
Feel free to check out my profile and PM me for pics.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Seet looking buy for 7k and I like your other rides too. My bro had a turbocharged miata and that was a fun lil car. Gwt the interior detailed and you will have a nice ride for 7k.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seet looking buy for 7k and I like your other rides too. My bro had a turbocharged miata and that was a fun lil car. Gwt the interior detailed and you will have a nice ride for 7k.
I can't even imagine a boosted Miata, it would be an incredible amount of fun thats for sure. I'm happy as a clam with the I/H/E and cams in mine for now.

Do you guys think this leather can at least be somewhat brought back to life? My buddy who looked at the car with my is an upholsterer and thought they could be rejuvenated fairly well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
For the interior: http://www.leatherique.com I've heard many times their cleaner and rejuvenator oil is nothing short of a miracle.
I don't think anything short of new leather is going to fix that back seat. The front seats don't look nearly as bad except for the stitching and are probably salvageable with some leatherique and repair.

Also the car looks like a great pick up

·
Registered
586 Posts
Your screen name is cracking me up! Seriously, the interior doesn't look bad. Just take it to a detail shop & they'll have it looking as good as new.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, if you cannot restore the interior check out Viva Performance, that can do a full interiors in any color leather you want, not cheap though

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Those seats are history but savable.
Even Gobi that is fanatically kept looks pretty bad after 8 years, some worse than others
I refinish most of my Rs that came with Gobi with excellent results.
R leathers in general do not keep well.
The other 2 colors have their own issues.

Here is an 06 I had last summer. While not as bad as yours are now, this is what they can look like after a pro refinished them

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Ditto to JRL's post. Also, the E-brake shoes on these are known failure points ($$$$$ if they go BOOM) so don't adjust them too aggressively. I keep mine on the "high" side for engagement. Maybe 6-8 clicks as I don't wan the shoes dragging while car is driving. If you can't find a repair slip for it just go ahead and replace the Eshoes and springs. Google this site for numerous diy's with pics and part#s. Congrats on the deal and welcome!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I added some e-brake shoes to my ipd order today along with the retaining springs but need to find the "pig tail" spring part number in a bit. There are some other minor maintenance items I can't find records for that I'll be doing shortly. Plugs, fuel filter, oil change, cabin filter, and air filter. Also ordered the oem double din adapter, an ipd boost gauge, and a kenwood double din and that amp integration cable everyone mentions on ebay. Oh, replaced the original 600cca Volvo battery too for a 800cca version and it cranks over with a lot more authority now.

Cleaned the heck out of the leather today and although it looks better than it did its still whopped. Since the leather itself is still in decent shape with no holes or cracks (save for the area that needs to be restitched) I'm reading up on how to re-dye them with leatherique's products.

Thanks for the welcome though, this car has been really enjoyable thus far.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I added some e-brake shoes to my ipd order today along with the retaining springs but need to find the "pig tail" spring part number in a bit. There are some other minor maintenance items I can't find records for that I'll be doing shortly. Plugs, fuel filter, oil change, cabin filter, and air filter. Also ordered the oem double din adapter, an ipd boost gauge, and a kenwood double din and that amp integration cable everyone mentions on ebay. Oh, replaced the original 600cca Volvo battery too for a 800cca version and it cranks over with a lot more authority now.

Cleaned the heck out of the leather today and although it looks better than it did its still whopped. Since the leather itself is still in decent shape with no holes or cracks (save for the area that needs to be restitched) I'm reading up on how to re-dye them with leatherique's products.

Thanks for the welcome though, this car has been really enjoyable thus far.
Cool. Honestly you only need the retaining springs. I've never had to replace the others unless they were really messed up. Just use good needle nose and don't mangle em.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah good to know on the j-springs or w/e they should be called

Here is what a lot of elbow grease did to the seats. Still beat but its a bit better. I think a full leatherique re-dye kit might make them presentable. Any thoughts on this? Looking around online there are seats that look worse than these that come out looking new.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Unless they break when taking them off,,,or losing them, you don't need new ones

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'll have to look around for local reconditioners but might tackle this myself with the leatherique kit.

After almost 1,000 miles over the last 5 days I finally had a chance to put the car on stands and check it out just now in hopes to diagnose clunking in the front end. The control arms were replaced 2k ago so those can be ruled out. My suspicion was end-links but I couldn't replicate the noise nor did they seem to have any play.

Next would be the tie rods... There doesn't seem to be any abnormal play with the tugging of the wheel test but should you be able to do this?!

There is also an oil leak which I think is coming from the banjo bolt on the bottom of the turbo. Is this a common leak point? I'd imagine there is just a crush washer in there that needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yup that's fine. Just no play while pulling/pushing on the wheel w/ hands at the 3 and 9o'clock position.
As for the clunk, try checking the strut mounts up top. pop off the pastic cover on the strut shaft/nut. With a 21mm wrench try to tighten the nut. The rubber should push back at you firmly while allowing 30-50deg of twist with a strong spring back (don't shoot the wrench at your nuts!lol) If it just spins then they're toast. They make plenty of clunking.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts