SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all!

I decided it was time to get a daily driver to keep the miles off my R.

After driving a V50 AWD manual and finding it lack luster, I decided to open up my options to include automatic transmissions. I've always admired the XC, but never really needed one. A combination of that power, missing my wagon's cargo space and this one becoming available at the right time led me to buy this one-owner, well maintained 2006 XC90 V8 with 124K miles for $5000. Here it is the day I picked it up.

It was ridden with warning lights, which scared the original owner into trading in their otherwise well maintained XC. I scanned it with my VIDA and sent the BCM off to Xemodex, which alleviated 90% of the problems.

First order of business was cleaning up the Magic Blue a little bit.

I spaced out the VOLVO on the back, but lost a V before I could reapply it. I've since gotten a junkyard replacement, so all is well there.

It's missing a headlight washer plug and the Atlantis wheels could use some love, but I'm pleased with the exterior overall.

I've definitely gotten used to all the bells and whistles this car has. I'm definitely looking into adding power folding mirrors to my R. The sound system is unbelievable in this car. I thought the R's was pretty good, but the Dynaudio in the XC is truly impressive.

It still needs a Clockspring (I'm going to try to reset it this week before replacing it), and unfortunately the TF80SC's weakpoint is starting to show its colors. I flushed with 12 quarts of Mobil 3309 (as well as reset the counter and adaptations in VIDA), cleaned the throttle body, changed the engine oil and filter as well as the fuel filter today. After driving it home all felt smooth, except pulling into my driveway. Usually the upshifts and downshifts are buttery smooth. The only trouble spot is slowing to a stop. After the car's been warmed up, it often experiences a few seconds of delay before engaging 2nd or 1st gear. If I'm not VERY careful about making sure it's in gear and give it gas, it'll SLAM into gear. Fingers crossed it'll adapt to the new fluid and that symptom will go away.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Welcome aboard! Great color. I'm sure you've read the threads about the angle gear failure issues and the collar on pre-07's being such that it won't drain water, resulting in the angle gear failing. I think there may be an easy fix to that, that just involves drilling a drain hole, but I'm sure others that know more will chime in shortly :)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've replaced the collar and angle gear on my old R, so I'm familiar with them and did some research on the V8's setup, but of course I'm willing to hear any and all input.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
As soon as I saw the year I was going to say "Check the Serial #"...Looks like there's no need to check it. Oh well, seems like a nice starting point for the right price. Congrats.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As soon as I saw the year I was going to say "Check the Serial #"...Looks like there's no need to check it. Oh well, seems like a nice starting point for the right price. Congrats.
Thanks! I checked the serial number before purchasing and realized with the cheap asking price and using it as a daily/beater, I could correct the valvebody problem (if need be) and still be in the green value-wise.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Good find! While we're all drooling over your R, we're glad to have you here!

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Nice find!

Resetting adaptives is generally not recommended after just a flush. That is only done when you replace the valve body or the entire trans. The most you want to reset after a flush is the fluid temp/mileage counter. Another SS member reset the adaptives after only a flush and also had shifting problems afterwards.

Maybe taking it easy for a while, while the TCM works things out will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts