SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just purchased a 2001 mystic silver LPT C70 vert with gray leather, premium 5 spoke wheels and a blue top.
After I got the car home the first thing i had to do was rebuild the door panels, both door panels were completely falling apart, I dissembled the door panels and then glued them back together with that two step epoxy that mixes together when it comes out. I had to use all of my dads welding clams & C-clamps to hold the door panels together while the epoxy set up. It tuck me three days working off and on but I got them back together and it tuck 12 tubes of epoxy!:eek:

I've been detailing the C70 and checking it over and it seams like a very good vehicle with only minor problems.

1. When I was at the car lot the A/C was blowing cool now a week later the A/C isn't cool and the compressor cycles on & off, like it is low on freon. I inspected the condenser the best i could and the other A/C lines and they look ok, I was a light duty Volvo tech for about two years like seven years ago so I know that the evaporators go bad & leak at around 100k miles and mine has 103k.
I am confident that I can remove the dash and replace the evaporator & the heater core but I was wondering - is their any way that I can tell for sure that it is the evaporator leaking? before I remove the dash?

2. My second problem is of course with the top, when I open the top and it retracts into the opening behind the back seat it is like the top doesn't go down far enough and I have to push the top down a little before the cover "lowers" down and latches.

3. The ROPS light is on and so is the service light so I will have the dealer reset them for me and hopefully the ROPS light stays out, the C70 doesn't look like its been in any major accidents but the back bumber was repainted.

I know the service manger at the local Volvo dealership so he will help me out with getting the C70 fixed but i was wondering if anybody had any advice about the A/C & the top before I paid the dealership to tell me I need a evaporator and need the top re-calibrated

Thank you very much for your help and don't forget C70's are cool cars:)

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Are you sure the top needs help? There's a time delay between when the tonneau cover drops and when it finally latches in. I've had friends think it's stalled and try to shove it down, when I just keep holding the button and it goes after a breif pause. Or are you saying the tonneau doesn't even come down until you push on the top? There are tons of microswitches in the top mechanism, possibly one is loose or dead.

As for ROPS, pull the plastic covers off (they just pop off, held on with a spring clip) and try shoving them down. On my 04, the ROPS was deployed when I bought it (wrecked) and all it took to reset it was to shove the roll bars down and latch them firmly.

Sorry to not be more help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts