SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this may be a generic post and addressed all the time but I cant frequent the board as often and still need first hand advice if you guys can help me out.. Its been several months since I've been online.

I am just over 60K on the car and pondering upcoming maintanence and service issues as well as possible performance upgrades at the same time..

I have owned the car since 44K and about 1.5yrs. My signature describes my current upgrades..

What Ive been interested in is establishing an upcoming maintanence prescription so to speak...
I'm dying to do more work to the car but I think other things need to be placed first..

My plans;
- Royal Purple 5w-30 shortly.. (my normal oil)
- full service tranny service, angle gear, gear oil, ect. ( wanna do a drain and fill, no flush )
- replace fuel filter
- within the next 8-12k, timing belt, serpetine, water pump, tensioner...

My main priority is maintence currently but would also love to continue to mod the car but money must be spent wisely :) Rear brake pads are looking low so I may look to replace with x-drilled rotors, Hawk or Porterfield pads and brake lines.. ( all 4 corners not just the back).

So at this mileage any other potential maintence issues or ideas? Still need to get a DP..

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
60k is time to change the plugs too. Also, probably want to do brake fluid flush, and replace park brake shoes and hardware when you do the rears...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Since your under the car and under the hood might want to invest in some torque bushing and transmission bushings as well. Nice cheap upgrades. (can't see you sig)

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Ams oil is the way to go I use it in everything I own. I have read and am sure if you search it in terms of engine wear royal purple is the worst oil you can use.

·
Registered
727 Posts
check the control arm bushings !

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tranny mount and engine mount are polys already..

Ok, will add spark plugs and plan on getting the brakes done pretty soon and doing everything at once on them..

Royal purple worst for wear? Huh? Never had heard this.. So for the ones using Amsoil which preparation are you using and do you use an 'extended life' oil filter or replace filters halfway through the life of the oil? That has been my biggest qualm..

I would also like to get the spring seats, endlinks and arm bushings done soon but I'd like to do them if I ever get around to doing springs, HD endlinks/toebars and sways.. Its a cost vs benefit vs how long will I have the car scenario on modifications... So those are on hold currently.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
I use Amsoil with oem filters and change every 5k miles

5w-30 @ $7.85 a bottle for signature series.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Royal Purple isn't that bad. As long as it's fully synthetic and not total crap, it's fine. I prefer Mobil 1, great oil, and can be had for a nice price in its 5 quart form at Walmart.

Aside what's listed in the service manual, I'd recommend a trans drain as you have mentioned.

How's the vibration with all the poly mounts? I noticed you have a GT?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am using Fuchs Titan GT1 5w-40 at 80k.
Using a thicker oil can restore compression rate.
Also its better for turbo charged vehicles.
Right now the car feels very alive compare to Castrol Edge 5W30 or Motul 8100 5W30 I used before.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as the poly mounts go really not bad at all.. Some slight increase in vibration at idle and crank up but nothing that really detracts from the cars luxury.
I have the Ipd poly engine, full trans, ultra racing strut brace, rear brace and poly engine stabilizer bar bushings but it all feels pretty good.

crazyace- do you change the oil completely at 5k with a normal filter or just change the filter and top back off what may have been lost if ya swap a filter out halfway? Signature series is rated for about 10K correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts