SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we've owned our XC90 for just about 4 years and have put 51,000+/- miles on it and I'm getting the 3rd set of rubber installed tomorrow (not including the brand new P-Zeros that came on it).

The first set of Pirellis lasted about 11K miles, the second set hit 12K. Don't ask why it got another set, that's a long story. I 100% believe both sets were faulty, especially the second set which wore out almost immediately in the center (and they were NEVER overinflated).

The last set we got the Hankook Ventus RH07, which have been the best set so far, but still only managed to get 28K or so out of (a 60,000 mile tire). However, as winter approaches, they are to the point where I'm not comfortable having my wife driving in adverse conditions in them. Plus, they have taken a turn for the noisy as of late.

So, I did a little research and I ended up ordering the Michelins from Sears and will have them on tomorrow. Everyone jumps up and down about the quality of Michelin and how they completely stand behind their treadwear warranty, so I'm anxious to see if the premium price is worth it on this tire eating machine!

I read a LOT of reviews, some specific to the XC90, and all were pretty solid, so I'm hopeful we can go more than a couple of years on these things.

My first choice was the Continental CrossContact LX20, but they are on national backorder until after the first of the year, so that was off the table.

I will try to update this post as we put miles on these things as I know tire choice on the XC90's are a hot topic.

In hindsight, I would've had the dealer change these rims out with the new 20" rims. Being limited to the 255/50/19 is a kick in the pants, there are NO options in mid range tires, you either get some un-warranted crap or $300+ Michelins. It's very frustrating. Not to mention the XC eats tires like a fat kid eats cake.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
we got a lot of miles out of our michelin xice snows. see my posts for the details. bottom line, IMHO pirellis are junk.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Interested in how you'll end up liking/disliking the tires. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we got a lot of miles out of our michelin xice snows. see my posts for the details. bottom line, IMHO pirellis are junk.
Yeah, just over 20K miles on two sets is pretty inexcusable if you ask me.

Honestly, if these Michelins don't wear quite a bit better, we'll consider getting tires AND rims next time around. 255/50/19 might have been the worst choice possible for a 5,000 lb SUV. Of all the things I researched on this vehicle, I never even considered looking at tire choices. I will NEVER make that mistake again though. Dropping over a grand every year and a half or so is not all that fun.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, on the initial drive home, they are noticeably quieter than the Hankooks. I guess I didn't realize how noisy they had become, wow!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Well, on the initial drive home, they are noticeably quieter than the Hankooks. I guess I didn't realize how noisy they had become, wow!
in non winter/snow conditions, the michelin winter tires were quieter than the factory pirellis, gripped in the rain and dry better than the pirellis, and as a driver, i felt more confident - the vehicle feels more like a car than a top heavy truck with the michelin winter tires than the factory pirellis.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Just took my Michelin Cross Terrains in for a rotation with 21,000 miles on them. They told me I would probably need new tires by the next rotation time. These tires have a 60,000 mile warranty, so Discount Tires will owe me some on my next set of tires.

I've owned cars that were tire eaters before, and I've owned cars where the tires seem to last forever. We all know XC90s are tire eaters. I knew it before I bought mine. Fortunately, Discount Tires defrays some of the cost for me.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Just took my Michelin Cross Terrains in for a rotation with 21,000 miles on them. They told me I would probably need new tires by the next rotation time. These tires have a 60,000 mile warranty, so Discount Tires will owe me some on my next set of tires.

I've owned cars that were tire eaters before, and I've owned cars where the tires seem to last forever. We all know XC90s are tire eaters. I knew it before I bought mine. Fortunately, Discount Tires defrays some of the cost for me.
I think the myth of the xc90 being a tire eater stems from the turd pirellis it came with. i got 28k on a set of michelin winter tires used both winter and hot summer, and the same vehicle couldnt get 21k out of a set of AS pirellis..

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I think the myth of the xc90 being a tire eater stems from the turd pirellis it came with. i got 28k on a set of michelin winter tires used both winter and hot summer, and the same vehicle couldnt get 21k out of a set of AS pirellis..
I can agree with you about the Pirellis, but I ate through my aforementioned Michelins way too fast.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I can agree with you about the Pirellis, but I ate through my aforementioned Michelins way too fast.
not disagreeing, i wonder how valid the manufacturers mileage claims are. it seems like michelin expects the tire to be on a significantly lighter vehicle. i remember car magazines commenting on how a set of cheap tires would last something like 100k on the back of a rabbit while the fronts were replaced regularly?

·
Registered
416 Posts
My OEM Scorpions lasted me 22k mi and I happily threw them away for a set of these Michelin's. I think they transformed the ride quality of our Sport. Unfortunately, the wife bounced off a curb and caused one of the rears to bubble so I had to purchase 2 new rear tires about a year after putting the 4 Latitudes on. Cha ching! But hey, I bought a Volvo due to the safety factor, I am not going to skimp on tires, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
not disagreeing, i wonder how valid the manufacturers mileage claims are. it seems like michelin expects the tire to be on a significantly lighter vehicle. i remember car magazines commenting on how a set of cheap tires would last something like 100k on the back of a rabbit while the fronts were replaced regularly?
Interesting

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
My OEM Scorpions lasted me 22k mi and I happily threw them away for a set of these Michelin's. I think they transformed the ride quality of our Sport. Unfortunately, the wife bounced off a curb and caused one of the rears to bubble so I had to purchase 2 new rear tires about a year after putting the 4 Latitudes on. Cha ching! But hey, I bought a Volvo due to the safety factor, I am not going to skimp on tires, that's for sure.
While my Michelin Cross Terrain's are probably only going to last to 27,000miles, they're great tires. They're still very quiet, and still corner very well. When I first put them on, I noticed my XC90 cornering capabilities improved substantially.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went back and looked and we did get 26K out of the 60,000 Hankooks, which is over double what we got out of the Pirellis, but still pretty poor.

One thing about buying from my local Sears store is that between them and Michelin, if I get to 25K and these tires are shot, they will at least stand behind them and pro rate another set for me.

We'll see I guess, but I am interested in seeing if paying the premium for Michelins is worth it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm guessing the Pirelli's are partly to blame for the "tire-eater" label...the factory Michelin Pilot MXM4's on mine are at about 40k miles and are just about due for replacement. Considering it's an AWD SUV, that's not that bad.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
So here's the result of our 3rd pair of Pirellis...

Looks like we'll get less than 20k miles again. Yes, Tommm hates these things because they wear like butter. I still love the performance and would consider them again...

But, I AM not going back to DiscountTire. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: They are pitiful. EVERY rotation requires return to the shop for balancing. And that just exacerbates the amount of beating their techs do to my wheels! :mad:

SO, I am determined to buy from Costco. They are perfect when it comes to installation, rotation, balance, repair, and CARE. That means I've got to look for Bridgestone or Michelin. Besides, we tried the Conti ExtremeContact DWS and they didn't last 25k miles with our roads, heat, and the V8.

I really want some Michelins. Any updates on the Lattitudes? Or has anyone tried the Michelin 4x4 Diamaris?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I actually have opposite experience from Costco. Costco has destroyed about 4~5 lug covers from our 05 XC90 and they rebalance our tires for free if it is needed or not. We have too many weight marks left on the wheels. We just got new set of ContiPro Contacts for $400 installed (after their $100 visa card) from DiscountTires. These seem very quiet but after the last set of the Costco Bridgestones, anything is quiet.
We been averaging about 36k miles per set but our Volvos are FWD.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I got my Nokians installed at Discount Tire as well... No damage that I could notice (and I looked), plus they finished the job in 35 mins. I left quite satisfied. Apparently, they'll even reimburse me if I have to get tire work done in a Canadian tire shop that doesn't honor my tires' warranty.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I actually have opposite experience from Costco. Costco has destroyed about 4~5 lug covers from our 05 XC90 and they rebalance our tires for free if it is needed or not. We have too many weight marks left on the wheels. We just got new set of ContiPro Contacts for $400 installed (after their $100 visa card) from DiscountTires. These seem very quiet but after the last set of the Costco Bridgestones, anything is quiet.
We been averaging about 36k miles per set but our Volvos are FWD.
The choice of Bridgestone should not solely be a reflection upon Costco. And I DEPEND on them rebalancing each time they are rotated! My R was flawless at high speeds. If you clean the barrels of the wheel and apply some elbow grease , the tape will eventually clear up. In fact, I just cleaned up the wheels with toothbrush and was reminded of the many scratches from DT! Ugh!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts