SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reciently installed new brakes on my s40 2.4i and now there is a constant screech and whine while I drive. It continues even when I apply my brakes. I alligned everything up and thought I did everything correctly but apparently something is wrong. I took pics of my rotor and brakes and it looks like the brake pad is partially engaged? Maybe they gave me the wrong brake pads?

lemme know what you think

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Those look like factory pads. The chamfer on each end of the pad is totally normal. It sounds like you have the brake shield (thin tin plate behind rotor) rubbing the rotor. It's very common on the S40 (tight clearance). You may have caught the shield when pulling the wheel off for example. Take the wheel off & turn hub by hand. Bend the shield around until noise goes away.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Bend the shield inboard a little.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found out what it was, on lunch I pulled back that shield and a big ole rock came out of it. It had been worn down so I am sure that was the problem. thank goodness!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Easy fix! My brakes have a screech after the dealer did the brakes before I bought it. I have yet to take them apart and reseat everything correctly

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
I'd say most likely the shield got bent during install and likely requires a slight tweak, pretty common.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This sounds a lot like an issue I have on my 98 v70. The noise starts in the front passenger side wheel well at around 25-35 mph and stops around 10mph. It does not happen when the car is first running in the morning but have it has been moving for a bit. I recently replaced the wheel bearing. It is whine not like the failing hub. Recent inspection and the mechanic adjusted the shield. Issue still there. I have not gotten in to inspect the brake pads yet. Noise still present when brakes are engaged but above 10 mph.

Any insights would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
This sounds a lot like an issue I have on my 98 v70. The noise starts in the front passenger side wheel well at around 25-35 mph and stops around 10mph. It does not happen when the car is first running in the morning but have it has been moving for a bit. I recently replaced the wheel bearing. It is whine not like the failing hub. Recent inspection and the mechanic adjusted the shield. Issue still there. I have not gotten in to inspect the brake pads yet. Noise still present when brakes are engaged but above 10 mph.

Any insights would be helpful.
Sounds like your brake pads are done

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts