SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got around to properly installing a 16T on my 04 LPT. Currently running Hilton Stage 2 tune, just ordered Stage 3 tonight.

Before installing the 16T I upgraded it with a Forge CBV and an ARD adjustable wastegate actuator.

I had another 16T but it was from an older Volvo so the coolant ports were wrong and it was leaking from how I had it rigged up. This one is from a T5 so it's a proper fit.

I also upgraded to iPd's color coded silicone vacuum hoses and a new HD Pierburg TCV from ARD. Anyway, the pics.

Until I figure out a better way to secure the heat shied I'm leaving it off, so I covered the wire going to the O2 sensor with some heat wrap.

A pic from underneath. No more leaks!

There's the HD TCV

And a little closer

Another view from below, before downpipe goes on

Downpipe installed

And here you can see the Forge CBV and the new wastegate actuator. I can't imagine how people change these with the turbo on the car!

Here's a video of me starting it up for the first time, with the downpipe disconnected.

And one more just for fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice Build, How har was to get the Turbo in ? :)
And the sound of no exhaust system is strange to my ears :p

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Very nice! You're going to enjoy it :)

As for the heatshield, mine has been off since my 16T has been installed, just make sure the O2 wire is secured. Mine is tied to the A/C pipe.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice Build, How har was to get the Turbo in ? :)
And the sound of no exhaust system is strange to my ears :p
It wasn't hard at all to get in, the tricky part was getting the old one out. You have to rotate it forwards while you move to the right side of the car to clear the hard oil supply line and then turn it upright (compressor section up) and move it back to the left of the car and then rotate it some more to get it past the power steering rack.

Installation is the same but backwards and once you've taken the old one out you know the moves you need to make to get the new one in. If you replace the vacuum hoses like I did, make sure to leave yourself a couple of inches of slack and install the line that goes to the compressor housing before bolting down the turbo. The lines for the wastegate actuator and the CBV can be connected from the top.

And yes, the sound is quite out of character for a Volvo sedan. Sounds even more brutal in person, like a straight piped turbo Dodge Viper. My phone mic doesn't do it justice, sounds more like a diesel tractor in the video. Kinda makes me want to upgrade the exhaust next, I'm still rocking the factory catback with my CNT downpipe.

Very nice! You're going to enjoy it :)

As for the heatshield, mine has been off since my 16T has been installed, just make sure the O2 wire is secured. Mine is tied to the A/C pipe.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
That's a good idea, I might go back and do that. The A/C line might help keep the wire cool. Speaking of the A/C line, have you noticed any decrease in cooling output from your A/C since removing the heat shield? I think I may have noticed a slight increase in vent temp but I haven't measured it, may just be in my head.

What were you doing in those pics to get your turbo to glow red? Dyno? What kind of numbers are you putting down with the 16T?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts

What were you doing in those pics to get your turbo to glow red? Dyno? What kind of numbers are you putting down with the 16T?
I only have one dyno pull on my ARD tune which was rated AWD ~225hp/250ftlb on 32*C day, but that tune wasn't working 100%. Time being what it is I haven't had any to go back and check with this tune, but through MAF reading there is enough flow to support ~312hp, accuracy is questionable but the butt dyno is happy :D. Check out the link in my signature.

As for the red turbo, just testing out traction in slick contldition for a long time :D

A/C? If your boosting, ain't nobody got time for that :). Joking aside it still blows cold when taking it easy but I never run it when I'm running it hard.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice build Antherzoll! I can't wait to get my Hilton Stage 3 tune, but I can already feel a difference over stock just with the Stage 2. I upgraded the injectors too (blue) so I'm trying not to get on it too hard until I get the tune. I did once and it went straight into limp mode, but it sure felt fast right up until that moment!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Very nice, curious - how many hp and how much torque you figure that you can add to the LPT with your mods? Many people say the LPT engine is a good engine to work with. 230-240hp range?

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
sounds interesting , but I have some an another idea..maybe it's stupid..I don't know...
Volvo stock injectors are 237.2g / min @3.0 bar (fix me if I'm wrong ). I run BSR tune. What if change the volvo stock injectors to http://www.ardideas.com/Bosch-347CC-Injectors-Set-of-5_p_292.html - 347 cc/min at 3 bar (45psi) ?
Without tuning it will run fine at low to moderate load (closed loop), it will run rich on high load (open loop). No gains. Injectors are supporting hardware and unless required for your power goal do nothing to increase power.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Without tuning it will run fine at low to moderate load (closed loop), it will run rich on high load (open loop). No gains. Injectors are supporting hardware and unless required for your power goal do nothing to increase power.
Sorry , but understood nothing :)))

Step by step
1. Without tuning it will run fine at low to moderate load (closed loop)- what do you mean "Without tuning" ??? What does "to moderate load (closed loop)" mean?

2.it will run rich on high load (open loop) - you mean full acceleration?

3. power goal do nothing to increase power - so...will it work with bsr tune ?

Sorry for stupid questions :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yep :) :partywave:

·
Registered
454 Posts
BTW ..after swap to 16T what kind of boost you'll have ?

·
Registered
454 Posts
so , basically you run on the same boost as I

·
Registered
454 Posts
I see on my boost gauge between 14-16 psi in the same rpm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts