SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Volvo cross bars 2016 XC 60 These are the rectangular shaped ones
Man the wind noise is terrible.I .guess they are not meant to be permanent
What are the alternatives ? Something I could leave in place
Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can try a wind fairing, but it usually won't do too much.

I've found the best way is to look at small pockets where wind can get through and stuff them with foam tape from Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm curious why you went with the older 'Square bars' versus the newer 'AeroBlade' ones. Even with the AeroBlade you can notice the wind noise. The square bars on my V70R make a hell of a lot more noise though. There was a thread on bar placement to minimize the noise but I can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious why you went with the older 'Square bars' versus the newer 'AeroBlade' ones. Even with the AeroBlade you can notice the wind noise. The square bars on my V70R make a hell of a lot more noise though. There was a thread on bar placement to minimize the noise but I can't seem to find it.
I didn't know there were 2 applications I just told the dealer to order cross bars Lesson learned. I know better now after some research
So the aero blades are somewhat noisy? They have to be much better that the rectangular ones

·
Registered
117 Posts
The rectangular bars are crazy noisy.

About 70% of the noise can be reduced by installing simple, round bar cushions, of the type used stand up paddle boards.

Buy the widest ones that fit (Dakine makes great ones).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rectangular bars are crazy noisy.

About 70% of the noise can be reduced by installing simple, round bar cushions, of the type used stand up paddle boards.

Buy the widest ones that fit (Dakine makes great ones).
Thanks for the tip I spoke with my dealer and he offered the aero ones at their cost Might give that a try,and post the rectangular one up for sale
on the board

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the tip I spoke with my dealer and he offered the aero ones at their cost Might give that a try,and post the rectangular one up for sale
on the board
I Have the rectangular bars on my XC60 bars an picked them deliberately as I already had all the various bike and ski attachments. The Thule wind faring cuts down the noise significantly and looks great to boot.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have been meaning to chime in but have been on a long road trip (still not home yet actually).

I don't have anything to compare them to, but I have the Thule Aerobars and they make enough air noise that I will not leave them attached to the car if I don't plan on using them on a regular basis. I was already thinking of trying a wind faring and after reading volvosickness's comment I will most likely give this option a try.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's not a bad idea to remove the cross bars when not in use (or after ski season). There's V70 test and other data that suggest the Thule Aerobars reduce fuel efficiency by 4% or so. I imagine the square bars cause more drag. Fuel efficiency ratings is why cars these days have recessed or flush roof rail mounts. 4 or 5% is indeed no big deal but it's like throwing pennies out the window every time you go for a drive. Adds up over the lifetime and the planet will hate you. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've run square bars on a lot of other sunroof cars and have found the fairings to cut out a fair bit of noise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been meaning to chime in but have been on a long road trip (still not home yet actually).

I don't have anything to compare them to, but I have the Thule Aerobars and they make enough air noise that I will not leave them attached to the car if I don't plan on using them on a regular basis. I was already thinking of trying a wind faring and after reading volvosickness's comment I will most likely give this option a try.
Interesting I had flat cross bar on my Explorer that I traded in for the Volvo Never noticed any wind noise but then again they were on from day one so I don't
what it would have sounded like without them

·
Registered
659 Posts
The panorama sunroof on our cars is not a very good acoustical buffer. Roof noise is greater than it would be on a car with a regular sunroof, or on cars with solid sunshade panels instead of the perforated sunscreen.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
A wind fairing helps.

It isn't going to stop all of the noise but it will stop the wind whistle. You can't get above 40 mph without it driving you nuts without the fairing.

With the fairing, you can easily do over 100mph and there is no whistle. :thumbup:

This is Volvo branded ones. I knew Thule made aerobars but the dealer I bought from didn't mention this.

I put the fairing on afterward.

I run with this on 95% of the time, although I'm getting to that season I will take them off soon, I think.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for the information tarrbot! It sounds like the wind fairing will resolve at least a vast amount of the wind noise and therefore a good investment. Otherwise the wind noise will drive me NUTS!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks for the information tarrbot! It sounds like the wind fairing will resolve at least a vast amount of the wind noise and therefore a good investment. Otherwise the wind noise will drive me NUTS!
FYI; typical Thule or Yakima fairings will conflict with sunroof in the majority of typical front crossbar locations. I have a fairing on our S40, and did a test fit a while back and the feet would land on the roof at any position I slid the bar to that would be reasonable to carry the roof box and bike mounts. We have the Volvo aero aluminum bars on both cars and they are too bad for noise. Certainly not silent though.

Tappin' via Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
FYI; typical Thule or Yakima fairings will conflict with sunroof in the majority of typical front crossbar locations. I have a fairing on our S40, and did a test fit a while back and the feet would land on the roof at any position I slid the bar to that would be reasonable to carry the roof box and bike mounts. We have the Volvo aero aluminum bars on both cars and they are too bad for noise. Certainly not silent though.

Tappin' via Tapatalk
Good point Slipperyb and something I had not thought of. I will keep this in mind before purchasing anything. As another FYI, I have the Thule Sonic XL roof box and I cannot use the sunroof while the box is mounted on the crossbars anyway. But I am considering adding a bike mount (used without the box) and would like to be able to open the sunroof with the bike rack attached.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts

Tappin' via Tapatalk
I haven't had an issue in my application, but I keep my bar forward of the sunroof. My Thule roof box fits fine and doesn't make any interference for the sunroof operation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts