SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I like to say that I loved my 2005 S60R from day one I drove off the lot 7 years ago...

I also like to express my disappointment at the inability for Volvo North America to offer any real help to fix a misfiring problem that has cost me over $5,000 and 7 weeks in the dealership beside suggesting me keep throwing parts at the problem...

Volvo for Life...great advertising slogan... apparently, according to your field rep, life ends @ 7 years for the premier Volvo model...the R.

Sincerely,

A previous Volvo for Life customer.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
...have you asked for advice/help on these forums? You'd be surprised at how little the average Volvo tech knows about R's and their various problems.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
It's called trial and error, it cost money. Is you car under warrantee? Then who do you have to blame as Volvo will not help you unless it concerns safety. Ownership of this particular vehicle is rather costly, you can dodge some of these costs by not going to the Stealership and finding a specialized Volvo Indy which usually works at 1/2 to 3/5 the rate, mine with which has more knowledge than you could ever get at the dealer. I suggest you buy one of these.

It is a Toyota Prius Concept, you would enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
...have you asked for advice/help on these forums? You'd be surprised at how little the average Volvo tech knows about R's and their various problems.
+1 it wouldn't hurt To describe the issue and see what ss has to say.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
It's called trial and error, it cost money. Is you car under warrantee? Then who do you have to blame as Volvo will not help you unless it concerns safety. Ownership of this particular vehicle is rather costly, you can dodge some of these costs by not going to the Stealership and finding a specialized Volvo Indy which usually works at 1/2 to 3/5 the rate, mine with which has more knowledge than you could ever get at the dealer. I suggest you buy one of these.

It is a Toyota Prius Concept, you would enjoy it.
No, you don't get to call him a Prius owner. He brought his car to a Volvo dealership and it appears that they have not been able to fix his car. With only 9 posts since 2006, I'm sure he is only posting if he's really really frustrated. Depending on more details, there may be a need for VCNA to step in. Ya know, like when the dealership refused to look into why I went through 4 fuel pumps in a year.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
First I like to say that I loved my 2005 S60R from day one I drove off the lot 7 years ago...

I also like to express my disappointment at the inability for Volvo North America to offer any real help to fix a misfiring problem that has cost me over $5,000 and 7 weeks in the dealership beside suggesting me keep throwing parts at the problem...

Volvo for Life...great advertising slogan... apparently, according to your field rep, life ends @ 7 years for the premier Volvo model...the R.

Sincerely,

A previous Volvo for Life customer.
hey, i guess you have been traumatized by a Volvo for life :D , sorry to hear that and I hope you have a better luck with your next car...good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You should describe the issue... It can't not be fixed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all of your advice. I have been working very closely with my local Volvo dealer and I am the original owner of the R. I have posted my problem once before and I do appreciate all the suggestions, but I will recap here:

In March, the R started to stumble at start-up during cold starts. The engine would miss only during high idle the it would settle down once the car has warmed up. I follow the advice on this forum and begin by replacing the spark plugs and cleaned the MAF. Replaced battery with OEM. Symptom continued and the dealer cleaned the ETM and found the vent box clogged and replaced it. ECM was reset and symptom return about 2 days later. I then I replace the K/N filter with stock and replaced the MAF; replaced all the coils (the first coil failure on this war happen at mile 527, cylinder 2 and 5); replaced the fuel filter and the FPS to no avail. Dealer tested the fuel pressure and it was normal, however, the fuel pump was not holding pressure so it was replaced. TCV was replaced and the dealer found the NGK plugs were all fouled and replaced with Volvo stock parts. Compression test, valve leak test done found to be normal. Timing and crank position checked and all normal. Cleaned the CVVT and crank position sensor. Volvo NA suspects it is the ECM, so ECM replace. Found cylinder 3 miss firing and replaced fuel injector which solved the problem. Then symptom reappeared and found misfire on all 5 cylinder so remaining 4 fuel injectors were replaced. Volvo suggested the valve could have carbon deposit, dealer checked and found no excess deposit.

Now the cold idle issue has been fixed now it is misfiring on all five cylinders between 2,000 - 3,000 rpm and Volvo wants another compression test and remove the crank for inspection. Coolant has been tested and does not appear to be a blown head gasket.

So that is my problem, reached out to the field rep and he does not want to offer the FTS except over the phone and hence my frustration.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It sounds like they just threw a bunch of new parts on it and hope it got fixed..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't get me wrong, I love my R...I love it more than my 1991 ZR-1. I am just disappointed at the unwillingness of Volvo NA to help a potential Volvo customer for life repair his first Volvo.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Now the cold idle issue has been fixed, now it is misfiring on all five cylinders between 2,000 - 3,000 rpm and Volvo wants another compression test and remove the crank for inspection. Coolant has been tested and does not appear to be a blown head gasket.

So that is my problem, reached out to the field rep and he does not want to offer the FTS except over the phone and hence my frustration.
I beg to differ dougy.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
No, you don't get to call him a Prius owner. He brought his car to a Volvo dealership and it appears that they have not been able to fix his car. With only 9 posts since 2006, I'm sure he is only posting if he's really really frustrated. Depending on more details, there may be a need for VCNA to step in. Ya know, like when the dealership refused to look into why I went through 4 fuel pumps in a year.
+1

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
he's talking in past tens, I'm thinking it's gone now.
It does sound like it. Sucks to put that much money into a car then have to sell it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Front O2 sensor. MAP sensor. Did they test either of these?
Also when you cleaned the MAF, did you realize the elements were not in the center, but off to the top edge and spray those?
It sounds like the ECU cannot figure out the proper A/F mix that is needed at certain predictable times.

Hang in there, there's a lot of really smart guys on this forum who haven't seen your post yet.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Sounds like the "soft valve issue" they had a recall for for a certain range of VINs in 04 and early 05. Basically the intake valves where chipping and the TNN/recall specified all valves to be replaced with new. I have encountered cars that exhibited ALL the pre-req symptoms of the soft valve issue but were not included in the VIN range.
In summation, Volvo NA is NOT consistent with their customer service as they seem to help some and totally pork others.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MAF was clean by the dealer then replace and they have also tried 2 other new MAF still have the same issue. TCV has been tested again new TCV and its functioning.

Thanks to Little Wing, I am now in contact with the VP of customer service of North America and I have received a reply that the VCNA CCM team will be contact me in the next day or two.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts