SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IT has been decided, for now, that two engines will be available in the US: a 2.5L 5-cyl. LPT rated at 210bhp and the 2.9L 6-cyl. twin-turbo rated at 272bhp.

There will also be a FWD version for that car, primarily for the Southern and SW part of the country. Volvo estimates that 65% of the XC90 sales will be AWD.

Yannis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
Yannis,

This means that Volvo has developed a 2.5 liter 5-cylinder engine. If I remember correctly, this is the largest displacement I5 that Volvo has produced thus far. This is further evidence that this 2.5 I5 LPT will be used in the rest of the product line. I wonder if the T5 engines will switch to 2.4 liters from 2.3 liters. A 2.4 liter T5 engine seems likely to make around 260hp or so, with the 'R' variant making around 300hp. What do you think?

-Drew
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by InDy:
Yannis,

This means that Volvo has developed a 2.5 liter 5-cylinder engine. If I remember correctly, this is the largest displacement I5 that Volvo has produced thus far. This is further evidence that this 2.5 I5 LPT will be used in the rest of the product line. I wonder if the T5 engines will switch to 2.4 liters from 2.3 liters. A 2.4 liter T5 engine seems likely to make around 260hp or so, with the 'R' variant making around 300hp. What do you think?

-Drew
Drew,

your hypothesis is entirely logical regarding the T5 variant. It would make sense as, in my opinion, they are approaching this engine's "limits". As far as the 2.5L LPT engibe, from what I hear, it is just a variation of the current 2.4L LPT, nothing extra. Plus they have already done extensive electronic throttle modifications (just take a drive in any 2002 XC or V70AWD or V70/S60 2.4T and you will notice huge difference) on that powerplant which gives it more low-end response. The 2.5L will increase both torque and HP so it should be nice. I just don't know if it is a good fit for the XC90 as a 5-cyl. powerplant tends to be a bit more "coarse" under heavy throttle than the 6-cyl.

Yannis
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
322 Posts
quote:

You are correct in that the XC90 will not be FWD, for North America.

And the engines for the N.A. market will be IN-LINE 6 not V6 or I-5. That has been decided.
Yannis
I thought your sources said no FWD or I5

Hmmm, I guess they were mistakend
where mine said the 2.5L 210 hp motor and FWD.

I still agree that the 5cyl is a huge marketing gaff for this market. If you are gonna do something like that, bring over the deisel and lets lead instead of playing catch up. Even the R motor would be a mistake...just seeing 5 cyl will scare people away. Its all psycological, but perception is reality. When you are spending 40 plus you want at least a 6 more so an 8. This is the only area where I thing this vehicle is gonna get knocked. When you come this late to the (SUV) party, make sure that you have a nice gift...Volvo is coming with a 6 pack (and one missing).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
That doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense. Not saying it's not true, just not sure why they would develope a new motor when they could fit the 6cyl from the S80 in no prob....unless perhaps the economies of scale work out for them...

Also, not that my source is any more accurate than yours, because this is probably a guessing game, but the press relations office at VCNA says only awd and only 6cyl versions. I'd bet they're guessing a bit though as this is such a new topic.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Phil Pugliese:
I thought your sources said no FWD or I5

Hmmm, I guess they were mistakend
where mine said the 2.5L 210 hp motor and FWD.

I still agree that the 5cyl is a huge marketing gaff for this market. If you are gonna do something like that, bring over the deisel and lets lead instead of playing catch up. Even the R motor would be a mistake...just seeing 5 cyl will scare people away. Its all psycological, but perception is reality. When you are spending 40 plus you want at least a 6 more so an 8. This is the only area where I thing this vehicle is gonna get knocked. When you come this late to the (SUV) party, make sure that you have a nice gift...Volvo is coming with a 6 pack (and one missing).

Phil,

you are correct and I would like to admit that I made a mistake but I just go but what certain people (who are usually very correct) tell me. Even this is not cemented but it seems that is the way VCNA is going to go. My source in Sweden is extremely reliable since she is a Project Leader for Design, Colour and Trim in Gothenburg.

I agree with you that bringing the XC90 with the D5 TD engine would be tremendous. I love that engine as I have driven a 2000 V70 with it. Oh, well!

Yannis
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
That doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense. Not saying it's not true, just not sure why they would develope a new motor when they could fit the 6cyl from the S80 in no prob....unless perhaps the economies of scale work out for them...

Also, not that my source is any more accurate than yours, because this is probably a guessing game, but the press relations office at VCNA says only awd and only 6cyl versions. I'd bet they're guessing a bit though as this is such a new topic.
George,

I got the latest news from a guy at Irvine. We are one of about 10 or 12 dealers where we belong in a pilot program and we order our own cars. So, we work with this guy (who was involved with the XC90 project 8 months ago) very closely because he is the one who puts in the initial order for us when we order a car. He is up with the latest info available and he told me about the 2.5L and the FWD.

The 2.5L is not a new engine. It is the 2.4T we know, just revised. No big deal!

Yannis
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
322 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
Phil,

you are correct and I would like to admit that I made a mistake but I just go but what certain people (who are usually very correct) tell me. Even this is not cemented but it seems that is the way VCNA is going to go. My source in Sweden is extremely reliable since she is a Project Leader for Design, Colour and Trim in Gothenburg.

I agree with you that bringing the XC90 with the D5 TD engine would be tremendous. I love that engine as I have driven a 2000 V70 with it. Oh, well!

Yannis

No Problem
...when we goin for fish?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
That sounds pretty cool about the special order thing. Can you order stuff not normally available (like a manual XC), or is it more of a deal where you can get hard to find stuff and built out to spec..

Do they plan on doing this at all dealers someday?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
322 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Evolvo:
That sounds pretty cool about the special order thing. Can you order stuff not normally available (like a manual XC), or is it more of a deal where you can get hard to find stuff and built out to spec..

Do they plan on doing this at all dealers someday?
You can order vehicles within the US perameters. A manual trans has not and will not be federalized for the US market.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Evolvo:
That sounds pretty cool about the special order thing. Can you order stuff not normally available (like a manual XC), or is it more of a deal where you can get hard to find stuff and built out to spec..

Do they plan on doing this at all dealers someday?
As Phil pointed out below, I can only order cars that are certified for the US. But the benefit is that I get to order colors and options that I only want to and I do not get stuck with cars that I normally could not use. Yes, the pan is that within a year or so almost all US dealers would use the same program.

Yannis
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
322 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
As Phil pointed out below, I can only order cars that are certified for the US. But the benefit is that I get to order colors and options that I only want to and I do not get stuck with cars that I normally could not use. Yes, the pan is that within a year or so almost all US dealers would use the same program.

Yannis

So now we can order as many Peacock Greens as we want!!! :0
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Phil Pugliese:
So now we can order as many Peacock Greens as we want!!! :0

If I only could have 100 more! Darn it! I really miss them!

Yannis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
As Phil pointed out below, I can only order cars that are certified for the US. But the benefit is that I get to order colors and options that I only want to and I do not get stuck with cars that I normally could not use. Yes, the pan is that within a year or so almost all US dealers would use the same program.

Yannis

On the factory tour they'd mentioned every Volvo except the convertible can be ordered with bulletproof option.

On your order system, can a car be ordered without a sunroof if it's standard equipment?

I.e., when the S60r comes out, I won't be able to get one because I won't be able to fit into the car with the reduced headroom of the sunroof. Is there any way to order it without?

Or is your special ordering good for the SC90's only?

If I can't order the car without the sunroof, this may be my last Volvo ever. The car comes without the sunroof in the base model, so I know they have the panels and headliner to leave it off, they just don't want to bother with the extra time involved with having options roll down the assembly line.

Pity. The S60r looked pretty sweet.

Oh well, I guess I can just chip my T5 and let it go at that.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
G
quote:

Originally posted by T5 Dave:
On the factory tour they'd mentioned every Volvo except the convertible can be ordered with bulletproof option.

On your order system, can a car be ordered without a sunroof if it's standard equipment?

I.e., when the S60r comes out, I won't be able to get one because I won't be able to fit into the car with the reduced headroom of the sunroof. Is there any way to order it without?

Or is your special ordering good for the SC90's only?

If I can't order the car without the sunroof, this may be my last Volvo ever. The car comes without the sunroof in the base model, so I know they have the panels and headliner to leave it off, they just don't want to bother with the extra time involved with having options roll down the assembly line.

Pity. The S60r looked pretty sweet.

Oh well, I guess I can just chip my T5 and let it go at that.

I can custom order a car without a sunroof but a special car like the S60R is not open to such changes. I can understand why Volvo would not allow such change since a non-sunroof S60R would not do any favors for the value of that model (hope you do not take this wrong...).

Yannis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
G
I can custom order a car without a sunroof but a special car like the S60R is not open to such changes. I can understand why Volvo would not allow such change since a non-sunroof S60R would not do any favors for the value of that model (hope you do not take this wrong...).

Yannis

Nah. Just means I can't buy one. Sniff.


Volvo loses here becuase they lost my business, and I lose because I could never own an S60r. To hell with the resale value, I'll keep the car for 15 years!!!

But that's good to know I might be able to get a regular S60 T5 without the sunroof, so if someone steals or wrecks mine I can at least get another. I was afraid this was my last Volvo because sunroofs were now standard and both mine don't have them.

Does every dealer have this special ordering capability or do I have to look you up if the worst happens? How does one go about invoking the special order process?

My dealer in LA wasn't able to get past the computerized system, and a year ago at the S60 launch the ordering system didn't have the optional sport suspension option available for the T5, so I went with a TDS delviery (which did have the option)

Then later, after I got back, the package was made available, but the folks at the local dealer just didn't know how to get around the system.

How does the average Joe get to the folks who know how to get things done?

Thanks.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
quote:

Originally posted by T5 Dave:
Nah. Just means I can't buy one. Sniff.


Volvo loses here becuase they lost my business, and I lose because I could never own an S60r. To hell with the resale value, I'll keep the car for 15 years!!!

But that's good to know I might be able to get a regular S60 T5 without the sunroof, so if someone steals or wrecks mine I can at least get another. I was afraid this was my last Volvo because sunroofs were now standard and both mine don't have them.

Does every dealer have this special ordering capability or do I have to look you up if the worst happens? How does one go about invoking the special order process?

My dealer in LA wasn't able to get past the computerized system, and a year ago at the S60 launch the ordering system didn't have the optional sport suspension option available for the T5, so I went with a TDS delviery (which did have the option)

Then later, after I got back, the package was made available, but the folks at the local dealer just didn't know how to get around the system.

How does the average Joe get to the folks who know how to get things done?

Thanks.

Well, the "average Joe" has to avoid the..."average dealership"! Seriously, if your Retailer is serious enough to get your business, they will find a way to get it done as long as it CAN be done.

Only 12 to 15 Retailers, nationally, are part of this pilot ordering program but tha plan is that within a year or so 80 to 90% of the Volvo Retailers will be participating.

If there is anything I, personally, can do for you in the future just e-mail me or call me!

Yannis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:

Well, the "average Joe" has to avoid the..."average dealership"! Seriously, if your Retailer is serious enough to get your business, they will find a way to get it done as long as it CAN be done.

Only 12 to 15 Retailers, nationally, are part of this pilot ordering program but tha plan is that within a year or so 80 to 90% of the Volvo Retailers will be participating.

If there is anything I, personally, can do for you in the future just e-mail me or call me!

Yannis

Thanks very much for the offer!

Right now my S60 T5 with only 7000 miles and my wife's S80 2.9 with 21,000 are running just fine (now that the third repair on her door lock cured the problem). It's just that we were afraid if either of the cars got totaled by a hit-and-run like my last car we'd never be able to get a replacement Volvo. (we both hate sunroofs, if you haven't noticed
Leather seats, too, oddly enough.)

I still think I have the ONLY S60 in the USA with the Geartronic without a sunroof. I've been driving like a paranoid freak for fear another hit-and-run will smash it and I'd never be able to get another.

Oh, and if you think Volvo headroom is bad with a sunroof, don't even LOOK at a BMW!!! The #$%&@!! sunroof seam splits my skull just getting into the thing!

It cuts down headroom, it leaks in the rain, & it lets the pollen in the spring & fall. I have NO clue why it's considered a 'luxury' option . . . . . Then they make it 'standard.'

Grrrrr. . . . . .

OK, I'm raving. I'm sorry. I just feel like Volvo was not providing what I wanted. BUT if you truly CAN order without the sunroof in the future I might just buy another Volvo in the future!

Thanks.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top