SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I just bought my S60R and found this forum and have had fun looking at all your posts so I thought it would be fun to introduce myself and was curious how you all ended up with you R's.
my story is pretty simple i was driving a 2012 Vw gti and was going home from work at night and BOOM i hit a dear going 60 i walked out confused and dizzy from being bashed in the head by the airbag. I walked away without a scratch to keep it PG lets just say the deer did not walk away that night... ANYWAY my car was totaled and i needed a new car.

Well i was in the market for a new car and was looking for a nice car like a audi S4 or BMW 330xi. My buddy drove me around all day for literally 6 hours looking at used lots everywhere we were resigned
to pack it in for the day when we saw a tiny dealership and thought why not? we drove through it nothing good then i saw it for the first time and yelled for him to stop. We jumped out and there it was titanium gray S60R with the sport package kit and one hundred percent loaded lets just say me and the car were in love at first sight. There arnt to many Volvos where i live (saratoga ny) and i have never seen a S60R. I brought the wife back the next day let her have a test drive and saw the smile and it was on. Signed on the dotted line and im picking it up Thursday!

Im just curious if any of you guys and gals have any cool stories not to say mine is interesting but this seems to be a close knit community of fanatics so i would like to hear your guys stories if you have one. Cheers all!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
If you don't post picts we automatically assume you are lying and that you reallly bought a camry, so ............. post picts or U R lying...
:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh! Sure I only have a couple that I took on my phone couple the night I saw it now I just need to figure out how to attach them... Sorry new to this.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Well, since he's not picking it up until Thursday I suppose we could give him a break. For photos you need to host them somewhere like Photobucket, then use the link.

In any case, welcome! I don't really have a great R story as to how I ended up with one. I first noticed them when I was looking into buying my 98 V70. I saw the R version at the time, but ended up buying the GLT. When it came time to replace it I decided I'd get a sedan, since wifey had a mini-van. I saw Volvo had re-designed the S60 and I thought the body design was stunning! I looked at the performance and price compared to the BMW's and Audi's and I thought the S60R was a pretty good deal. Ended up buying mine new in '05 and have no regrets at all. Well, maybe I should have bought the MT, or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i feel yeah, just got mine a month ago and after stumbling upon this forum and checking it out i had to get into it. sorta simular story about how i got mine. some girl was texting and didnt see traffic was at a standstill and rear ended the crap outa me. anyway car was totaled and i was looking for somthing different and i was riding by and saw a for sale sign on this dudes s60r and i turned around called the guy, bought it the next day. love at first sight... and yea apperently people think camrys are volvos so go figure

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tell ya what I will post pictures of my totaled gti and my S60R after my test drive when I get home from work tonight and Thursday I will take about 100 to share with everyone haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
^^ nice

·
Registered
221 Posts
Welcome and congrats! What year is the R?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I got lucky, found one online, had a friend who lived in the same city as the car test drive it, had it inspected, negotiated on the price, and did everything over the phone over 3300km away within 4 days and arranged to have it shipped - I never even drove the car. Only Volvo I drove before was an 850R and loved that so I figured the V70R must be good too. I was not disappointed! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2005 I cant wait to pick it up Thursday. I read all the carfax on it it had 4 owners (2 dealers) and lived in mass and Vermont and the next and final stop is my garage. I noticed a lot of you guys are from new England any particular reason? I live in a big BMW following area i think it has a lot to do with the horse racing track down the road from me in Saratoga springs and the pretentious insanely wealthy people that spend their summers here.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Not much to tell. Wife always is buying stuff, she thinks we need a "truck". I like being able to haul stuff but could stand driving a truck for six months a year. My V70r is cheap to insure, fun, comfortable, awd, good brembos with out spending $3500 on a "kit". Not that I always get it, but the car has given me up to 33 mpg on the highway.

Looked BMW online a couple of times but, I can never get my self to go look at one.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I only have 7 months on you. I had just sold a 95 Honda Accord, and was looking for something a little nicer. The in-laws had an older 950 wagon that I had the pleasure of driving a few times until my father-in-law let the timing belt expire :( Apparently, he thought the little timing belt light was just a "suggestion", and drove it another 8 months before it grenaded. Poor wagon. It was a nice car too.

Anyways, started looking @ Volvos. Almost bought a 2005 S60 2.4 non-turbo. Thank god the salesman was a total douche bag, cause I found the R a week later in Burbank, CA.

Make sure you check out the maintenance records. I'm due for a timing belt myself. The way I see it, keep these things maintained, they'll damn near last forever. Welfome to the club!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
my story,

needed a 4dr to replace a 2dr civic since i had a new little one. Sold my ducati monster and the civic but wanted something fun/safe. Ended up stumbling on an R with atacama interior. it was beat to hell so i passed and the search was on. 5 months later on a whim i called on an ad that had little details except an 05 s60r and a price. Turned out to be black/atacama with sport kit on a R that was taken care of for the most part. We rushed the paperwork through since I test drove it in the dark on a friday. The person was moving to the UK on Monday. We were able to get all the paperwork etc done a couple hours before his flight left. I did the bare minimum when checking out the R. I just had a good feeling about the seller. He also had 2000 green v70r he was also selling that was in really nice shape too. I couldn't get him to throw it in the deal though, i tried. :D It was also hard to sell the Ducati but a close call with a ****ty driver earlier in the week confirmed by decision to sell it. (I didn't have to sell, chose to)

good luck w/ your R

1 - 20 of 23 Posts