SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week when picking up my daughter from cross-country practice, I spied a nicely restored Karmman Ghia in the lot. I seemed to recall reading somewhere about some level of influence from Ghia on the Amazon design. Or I could just be imagining that. Or just making it up. Not sure.

Anyway, I had a roommate in college who had a Ghia and when I first discovered Amazons a few years ago, I immediately thought the back fin to taillight were very similar.

Have been wanting to figure out how to post pictures so took this opportunity to learn.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
This is great!! That Amazon is gorgeous, btw.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've always loved Karmanns. The other day I went to the grocery store, parked next to an empty spot and when I came out, this is what I saw (mine on the right.)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Really interesting... I've never noticed this before.

Your 'zon looks terrific. Congrats.

Did you take it all the way down to do that paint job?

Mike

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words.

It was a local one-family owned car for about 30 years and then sold to a friend who was going to hot rod it. Fortunately that didn't happen and it sat under roof for ten years until I bought it. No significant rust. Original color was 91 and I changed to 67 slate blue. Paint job is about a 2 footer. Did not strip down to metal but put epoxy primer over well sanded original. One part urethane from TCP and my painter added a touch of clear coat to the last coat of paint (againt my desires). This really makes it shine. I'm warming upt to it but still would go with a flatter look if had to do over.

Have gone over everything in one way or another. Sometimes twice ;).

Have always owned Volvos but really didn't discover Amazons until 3-4 years ago. Just a great car; especially for a project.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I think that slate blue is the best color on an Amazon. Mine's the 89 blue and I really like it too, but if I were to do a color change that'd be it.

There are also not many Amazons around here in Denver, but fortunately several of them are in communication through the local club. Hopefully I can get my car running again this year so that we can take some pics with as many as possible.

As far as the styling goes, I don't think you can say that any one car influenced the Amazons's styling, as the style is very 1950's in general. It also looks like a lot of other cars. The lines are closer to a Jaguar or Mercury than they are to the Karmann Ghia I think. Then you have the VW notchback and squareback, both of which look more like the Amazon than the KG does, and they came after.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts