SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I flushed the transmission on my new to me 2004 S60R(87,000) miles at home using the Gibbons method. The Gibbons method is when you pump out the old ATF 2 qts at a time through the upper radiator line and refill through the dipstick. It works great and is not hard at all.
The problem I ran into is the transmission dipstick is so hard to get at I had to take off the entire air box to access it. I had to unhooked the mass air flow sensor too. You have to run the engine to pump out the old nasty fluid and then shut it off then refill. After running the engine with the air box and MAFS unhooked I got a check engine light and a message along the lines of "engine system needs service"
Now I'm sure it is because I was running the engine with the above unhooked. Will it correct itself after I hook it all back up?
Also can I drive the car for say 10 miles to heat up the new ATF so I can get an accurate reading without hooking up the air box and air flow sensor? I want to avoid hooking it all back up till I know the ATF fluid is at the proper level since it can not be accessed with it installed.
What a pain in the ass! Wish they could have just made the dip stick tube and stick longer to avoid this crap!
Anyway is it ok to do this without causing problems or have I already caused problems...LOL. Thanks!

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Yes it will go away if it was because the Maf was unhooked. I e even driven mine over a week with it unplugged without issues.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So with the air box unkooked is it safe to drive it to heat up the tranny fluid fully? Should I put some panty hose over the big hole the box was attached to to prevent something from entering the engine? WIll it suck the panty hose in?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Just remove the air box, keep the MAF on and just connect the air filter directly too it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts