SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Just did the Snabb R intake, forge cbv,, downpipe and silicone vacuum lines. It all went well, except now when we gave the car a test drive [and not even pushing it hard], we got a hot rubber/plastic/silicone smell coming from under the hood, and there's a boost leak somewhere as I lost all boost, and it now hisses really loud [obviously]. We [rmorse and I] don't know if the two are connected or not, meaning we don't know if one of the lines burned through and caused a leak, but we think it's the red vacuum line popped off the turbo, or the line off the cbv.

So, our questions are [as we wait for the engine bay to cool off], could this be the wd-40 burning off in the snabb intake? Does the snabb intake "smell" the first time it gets hot? Could this be the white lithium grease we used on the cbv for lube? Any other ideas??

Thanks guys!!

[Also, we haven't put the heat shield on the back of the engine, the one above the downpipe connection. Would this cause any issues??]

·
Registered
67 Posts
The heat shield removal will not cause a smell, nor a leak. I did not put if back after I've done my Downpipe, and I could not notice anything irregular, its function is to reduce heat transfer from the turbo, trying to keep it hot (Hotter means better airflow) and trying to not heat the firewall.
As for the other possibilites, I am curious about the answer since I did not do any of those mods but I will install the Snabb someday and buy the CBV someday, later.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, just to update. We did use anti-seize on the O2 sensors, and we've been reading up that when anti-seize "cooks off" that it smells really weird/bad. Going to verify if it smells like the stuff we smelled. Hopefully we don't go braindead doing the theory.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
SUCCESS! On the smell, at least...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts