SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey S80ers!

Long time no see! I've been very busy with work and life, and wanted to drop in to check in with you guys and let you know that I and my S80 are still alive and doing well. I've spent the last year+ doing a full "restoration" of my S80. I've invested about $7000 into it in the last year or so, and it has been off the road. It's almost done, and I expect to be driving it every day again in the next few weeks. I've done A LOT to it, but some of the more major things are a front end facelift, along with repainting the front half of the car (316k miles worth of stone chips). I also replaced the VERY rusty front subframe and driveshaft/exhaust crossmembers, replaced the fuel tank and pump, AOC unit with AOC pump, steering pump, alternator, plugs, belt, idlers, coils, and more and more. Everything it has needed has been done. It should basically be a new car.

Here's a pic of the current look with the front end facelift as well as XC60 Inscription wheels. It really does look like a new car now.

I've also been busy with another project. A member of the Subaru SVX club bought an 09 S80 V8 a couple of months ago based on my recommendation It belonged to a Swedespeed member before he bought it. It's an absolutely gorgeous Executive with only 70k miles in Savile Gray with Soft Beige and has every option except the fridge, including RSE. It's a stunning car. Upon buying it, he had it serviced at Keystone Volvo, and just two days later his wife was driving it and got in a very minor "fender bender" damaging the front bumper, grille, and headlight. I advised him that it was a simple fix and there's no way it would be totaled. I was wrong. The body shop wrote the estimate up siting that it needed way way more work than it really did. There were THOUSANDS of dollars in parts listed that were completely untouched. I'm not sure why they did that. But, to make a long story short, his insurance company totaled the car, and I bought it from them as it was way too nice a car to allow it to be parted out. It has incredible service history all from the Volvo dealer. The best part is that I had all of the necessary parts from doing the front end facelift to my 08 S80. The car should be complete in the next day or two, and I'll be putting it up for sale at a very reasonable price given that it will have the history of being totaled. Here are some pics of that. I'll post a for sale thread when it's done along with detailed pics of it completed.

This is what it looked like before the damage:

So one more thing; I pre-ordered one of the BluePower infotainment systems for our cars, and once I finally received and installed it, I realized that it was just way way too complicated for me and I just prefer the stock system. I removed the BluePower unit from my car and put it up for sale on ebay. I have it listed for $450 which is less than half what I paid for it after shipping. It was used like twice for a total of an hour MAYBE. Here's the link. I'm open to offers. I have no use or need for it. It comes with installation instructions, and the installation wasn't difficult at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113561800521

So, that's my quick update. I'll try not to be such a stranger. I'm much more active on the S80 V8 Facebook group, so I can be more easily reached there if anyone needs me or has questions about any of my retrofits or anything. I also encourage you guys to join that group, even if you don't have a V8.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/309831546287468/

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey there!
Like you I've been a stranger to the various forums recently for similar reasons.
Car is looking fantastic.
Your friend's S80 doesn't on the surface appear to have sustained much beyond cosmetic damage especially as the airbags didn't activate so a bit of a bargain project car there. Are you moving it on or planning to cannibalize some parts?
I saw the BluePower unit only very recently and would have been interested if I was keeping the '11 V70 but I've just bought a '15 XC70. So good luck with the sale of it!
Mike

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there!
Like you I've been a stranger to the various forums recently for similar reasons.
Car is looking fantastic.
Your friend's S80 doesn't on the surface appear to have sustained much beyond cosmetic damage especially as the airbags didn't activate so a bit of a bargain project car there. Are you moving it on or planning to cannibalize some parts?
I saw the BluePower unit only very recently and would have been interested if I was keeping the '11 V70 but I've just bought a '15 XC70. So good luck with the sale of it!
Mike
Hey Mike!

Like I said, the 09 S80 is almost done being fixed. I felt it was my duty to the community to save it from heading to a junk yard (while being able to make a few bucks). The pics of it were taken yesterday. I was just waiting for a couple small parts which came in, so now the bumper will go on, and it’s done.

In my state, after a car is totaled, and repaired, it must go through s very rigorous inspection before being put back on the road. So, everything must be absolutely perfect and OEM. There was a small plastic bumper
Mount that sits under the headlight that was cracked, and gluing it back together wouldn’t be Ok, so I had to order that. Also, the right side horn sustained cosmetic damage, and although it works, it won’t pass inspection that way (at least i don’t think it will), so I needed to replace that.

I’ll of course be offering it for sale here before listing it on eBay and stuff.

Good luck with your new XC! Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it? I’m selling a 15.5 XC70
right now and would love to know where I should be pricing it.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Mike!

Like I said, the 09 S80 is almost done being fixed. I felt it was my duty to the community to save it from heading to a junk yard (while being able to make a few bucks). The pics of it were taken yesterday. I was just waiting for a couple small parts which came in, so now the bumper will go on, and it’s done.

In my state, after a car is totaled, and repaired, it must go through s very rigorous inspection before being put back on the road. So, everything must be absolutely perfect and OEM. There was a small plastic bumper
Mount that sits under the headlight that was cracked, and gluing it back together wouldn’t be Ok, so I had to order that. Also, the right side horn sustained cosmetic damage, and although it works, it won’t pass inspection that way (at least i don’t think it will), so I needed to replace that.

I’ll of course be offering it for sale here before listing it on eBay and stuff.

Good luck with your new XC! Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it? I’m selling a 15.5 XC70
right now and would love to know where I should be pricing it.

Mike

Sounds like a pretty rigorous inspection.
I'm in the UK and once cars are written off by insurers they are classed into various Categories which is marked in the car's history and affects the value if you repair and put it back onto the road. Anything similar your side of the pond?

Unfortunately being in the UK doesn't help answer your question in any way.
I think I paid a pretty good price for my XC70 for the spec & mileage. I was particularly fussy on options fitted.
Diesel is still king over here but picked the lower power D4 AWD model as they seem to be overlooked for the D5 models (and therefore cheaper) and plan to get it Polestar-ed which will make up for the deficit.

·
Registered
15,808 Posts
Your car always looks awesome. Love the new wheels - what happened to the others??

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've always loved your S80. Super clean and really well modified.
Sent you an offer through ebay for the Bluepower unit. I've been wanting one for a while, and this may be perfect timing.:thumbup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
So yours also had its front subframe eaten. Was it the section where the exhaust pipes pass under that got chewed up? How is the rest of the car holding up?

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
I'd be really interested in taking a look at the S80 when it's done. I am about an hour away from you.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a pretty rigorous inspection.
I'm in the UK and once cars are written off by insurers they are classed into various Categories which is marked in the car's history and affects the value if you repair and put it back onto the road. Anything similar your side of the pond?

Unfortunately being in the UK doesn't help answer your question in any way.
I think I paid a pretty good price for my XC70 for the spec & mileage. I was particularly fussy on options fitted.
Diesel is still king over here but picked the lower power D4 AWD model as they seem to be overlooked for the D5 models (and therefore cheaper) and plan to get it Polestar-ed which will make up for the deficit.
It’s just like that here. It will carry what’s called a “Reconstructed Title” which is a major black mark which affects value by 15-20%. Being able to show the extent of the damage and repairs can help with selling it, especially in a situation like this when the damage is so relatively minor.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always loved your S80. Super clean and really well modified.
Sent you an offer through ebay for the Bluepower unit. I've been wanting one for a while, and this may be perfect timing.:thumbup:
I accepted your offer. Thank you!!

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So yours also had its front subframe eaten. Was it the section where the exhaust pipes pass under that got chewed up? How is the rest of the car holding up?
I began noticing a small hole forming about 2 years ago. Then by last winter it has become dangerous. Volvo actually offered me $500 toward repairing it, but my local dealer refused to work on the car siting that it was beyond their abilities. (They’re REALLY bad.) I ended up replacing it myself with a clean used subframe from the southwest.

The body of the car has no rust at all and overall the suspension looks fine. The two crossmembers that support the exhaust and driveshaft turned to dust as well. One of them was on national backorder and I had to wait several weeks for it to arrive from Sweden. It showed up with the exhaust hangers on the wrong side. I had to cut them off and weld them onto the other side. Great quality control, Volvo.

Though the rust did start as a tiny hole at the back passenger side by the exhaust, by the time I replaced it, nearly the entire subframe was affected. It was bad.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd be really interested in taking a look at the S80 when it's done. I am about an hour away from you.
Sure thing. I believe he finished it today. I’ll be in touch.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I began noticing a small hole forming about 2 years ago. Then by last winter it has become dangerous. Volvo actually offered me $500 toward repairing it, but my local dealer refused to work on the car siting that it was beyond their abilities. (They’re REALLY bad.) I ended up replacing it myself with a clean used subframe from the southwest.

The body of the car has no rust at all and overall the suspension looks fine. The two crossmembers that support the exhaust and driveshaft turned to dust as well. One of them was on national backorder and I had to wait several weeks for it to arrive from Sweden. It showed up with the exhaust hangers on the wrong side. I had to cut them off and weld them onto the other side. Great quality control, Volvo.

Though the rust did start as a tiny hole at the back passenger side by the exhaust, by the time I replaced it, nearly the entire subframe was affected. It was bad.

Oh jeez, that is easily among the worst sub frames that I've seen. Mine is doing the exact same thing yours did; small hole on the passenger rear side above the exhaust pipe. I was planning on taking mine to my local volvo dealer and seeing if it falls under their rust perforation warranty.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oh jeez, that is easily among the worst sub frames that I've seen. Mine is doing the exact same thing yours did; small hole on the passenger rear side above the exhaust pipe. I was planning on taking mine to my local volvo dealer and seeing if it falls under their rust perforation warranty.
It doesn’t. I fought that fight hard. The $500 Volvo offered me was after I fought and fought and fought. If you go by the way the rust perforation warranty is worded, it should be covered. What they really mean is that the warranty covers only the body of the car and no structural components like the subframes. They kept telling me that the warranty only covers sheet metal. Guess what the subframe is made from?

Given that they never had any intention of covering rusty subframes, I do commend them for offering me 500 bucks toward the repair on a car with over 300k miles. That would have been great if the dealer didn’t blow.

It still couldn’t hurt to give it a shot. We should all submit NHTSA complaints in the hopes of getting a recall issued. This is clearly a safety concern. Subaru has had a number of recalls issued for rusting subframes on their older models.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

·
Registered
244 Posts
It doesn’t. I fought that fight hard. The $500 Volvo offered me was after I fought and fought and fought. If you go by the way the rust perforation warranty is worded, it should be covered. What they really mean is that the warranty covers only the body of the car and no structural components like the subframes. They kept telling me that the warranty only covers sheet metal. Guess what the subframe is made from?

Given that they never had any intention of covering rusty subframes, I do commend them for offering me 500 bucks toward the repair on a car with over 300k miles. That would have been great if the dealer didn’t blow.

It still couldn’t hurt to give it a shot. We should all submit NHTSA complains in the hopes of getting a recall issued. This is clearly a safety concern. Subaru has had a number of recalls issued for rusting subframes on their older models.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Well that's disappointing. One of these days I'll see what the dealer has to say but given your experience, I'll not get my hopes up.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Wow!
That was pretty bad.
Definite food for thought as you kind of take it for granted modern cars shouldn't end up like this.
Naive I know but a definite eyeopener!
Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
Unbelievable amount of rust for a modern car. I know I have some surface rust on my 2007 S80 subframe and on the lower control arms. I'll be doing more investigation in spring.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Well that would make changing the rear motor mount easier than what I had to do by not completely removing the cats. I know mine with 110k is fine having had to wrestle myself around it to change the rear motor mount.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Wayne-

We finished the car today and wow is it gorgeous. Perhaps the nicest V8 I’ve seen! I’ll have a full set of almost 100 detailed pics posted later tonight, but here’s a preview.

EDIT: Pics are up.

http://www.pennantmotors.com/personal/09s80/09s80fs.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
It was my S80 and can answer any questions you have on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts