SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 2000 V70 XC AWD and when I bought it the back driveshaft had been taken out and they told me they werent for sure what the part was called to fix it. I have done some research and it appears it could be either the bevel gear or the sleeve . It doesnt leak any fluids and everything else works well.
I guess my main question would be how do I identify for sure what it is? What do I need to look for?
I know this is a not so simple question but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: Just bought V70 XC AWD and have Bevel Gear question (ff21102)

Hey Brandon:

Not sure what part you are talking about from your description. Here are the sequence of component that transmit power to the rear wheels are your car are

1. Transmission. The power output from transmission is transversely mounted
2. Bevel gear. This is the gear that turns transmission output 90 degrees to travel toward the rear wheel
3. Drive shaft. This is the long shaft going towards the back of the car
4. Viscous Coupling. This is what detects speed difference between front/rear wheels and locks to get the power to the rear.
5. Rear axel. This turns output 90 degrees and drive the rear wheels.

1,2 is in the front just above the steering rack.
4,5 is in the back just between the rear wheels.

I've often read people taking out bevel gear if it fails because it is $2000+ to replace it. This leaves the car in FWD rather than AWD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.