SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 2000 V70 XC AWD and when I bought it the back driveshaft had been taken out and they told me they werent for sure what the part was called to fix it. I have done some research and it appears it could be either the bevel gear or the sleeve . It doesnt leak any fluids and everything else works well. <br>I guess my main question would be how do I identify for sure what it is? What do I need to look for? <br>I know this is a not so simple question but any advice would be greatly appreciated.<br>Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: Just bought V70 XC AWD and have Bevel Gear question (ff21102)

Hey Brandon:<p>Not sure what part you are talking about from your description. Here are the sequence of component that transmit power to the rear wheels are your car are<p>1. Transmission. The power output from transmission is transversely mounted<br>2. Bevel gear. This is the gear that turns transmission output 90 degrees to travel toward the rear wheel<br>3. Drive shaft. This is the long shaft going towards the back of the car<br>4. Viscous Coupling. This is what detects speed difference between front/rear wheels and locks to get the power to the rear.<br>5. Rear axel. This turns output 90 degrees and drive the rear wheels.<p>1,2 is in the front just above the steering rack.<br>4,5 is in the back just between the rear wheels.<p>I've often read people taking out bevel gear if it fails because it is $2000+ to replace it. This leaves the car in FWD rather than AWD.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Just bought V70 XC AWD and have Bevel Gear question (ff21102)

The bevel gear needs to come out to tell whether it was the sleeve or the gear.<br>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts