SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and looking to change a few things! This is my first Volvo and it seems it will fit the family perfectly! However, like many who have gone before me, I am a sports sedan fan stuck in a family mans body forced to buy seven seaters for the forseeable future...

SO, the most I can do at this point is make this XC90 my own personalized version of greatness. A couple of quick mods I would like to make are a wheel change and roof rack crossbars for some real versatility! (especially for long trips since there is 5 of us!)

On the wheels, I am looking at the 'Pegasus' Replica wheels at iPd, I'm thinking 18'' will be the ticket. Thoughts? Pics? Best way to sell my current set?

On the crossbars... Any suggestions on places to start? I've got the car top carrier...

Thanks everyone!! I look forward to hanging out in the forum!!

Chris

Here is a link so you can see what I'm starting with!!

http://www.dallaspreowned.com/inventory/view/5292215/2007-Volvo-XC90

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Looks like you got a huge good deal in Swedish steel, safety, and technology for a very good price. We recently ran our 2004 2.5 AWD for 134,000 miles and traded it for a 2008 3.2 AWD. The differences between the two are mechancial, the six is smoother but with less low end torque than the turbocharged variable timed 2.5. Both are great values, and they are the safest thing you could put your family in. Congratulations, you will soon be hooked like the rest of us here. Once you live with one of these for awhile, nothing else seems to match up all things considered.

best,

P

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! i'm pretty proud of the deal I worked on it... BTW, I'm not finding many pics of XC90's with aftermarket or updated wheels! Have any of you purchased the R replica's at iPD? Would love to see some pics of what you guys have out there!! Any mods that you would definately make again to your XC90 if you had to do it over again??

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks! i'm pretty proud of the deal I worked on it... BTW, I'm not finding many pics of XC90's with aftermarket or updated wheels! Have any of you purchased the R replica's at iPD? Would love to see some pics of what you guys have out there!! Any mods that you would definately make again to your XC90 if you had to do it over again??
Nice ride.
Hows the fuel econony?
If you can, keep us posted on MPG per the calculator method.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice ride.
Hows the fuel econony?
If you can, keep us posted on MPG per the calculator method.
Thanks
Will do... Is there a specific post or area to keep these numbers for everyone?

Still would love to see some pics from you guys! Really would love to change out my standard wheels for some upgrades.... Anyone looking to get rid of some 18's?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Will do... Is there a specific post or area to keep these numbers for everyone?

Still would love to see some pics from you guys! Really would love to change out my standard wheels for some upgrades.... Anyone looking to get rid of some 18's?
Keystone automotive.com has remanned wheels.
I priced out an 18 to replace my chrome pealing wheel. $250 or so per wheel. Or $300 without a core.Lifetime warranty.
They sent me a photo of the rim per email. I think it was a 18. I will need to confirm.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
nice deal on the xc90 man. On the wheels go 20's or go home :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
How much fun can it be driving a TEN YEAR OLD DESIGN?

Well I guess if you have an icon it makes no difference how old the design is. Just look at the Jaguar XK-E designed in 1961. It is as beautiful today as it was 51 years ago. When the XC90 first came out I just HAD to have one, and we got a 2004 with the 2.5 AWD. For only having a 2.5 that thing was actually a pretty robust tank of a vehicle, with performance far exceeding what anyone would normally expect from a 2.5. We traded for a 2008 3.2 which is virtually identical to yours, with probably some minor trim change or something, but the 3.2 is refined nicely and it is a great driver. Where the 2.5 relied more on torque, the 3.2 relies more on rpm and gear. Either way they're the same iconic design, representing one of the alltime best SUV designs and design concepts of all time. The front of the vehicle harkens right back to the PV-544, the vehicle is UNMISTAKENLY Volvo at first glance. It really is the car Porsche should have built, and if they did they would have sold more of them than the Cayenne, and of course they could have added more and more and more......which is how the Porsche evolution has evolved from "less is more" or "forget the unnecessary" to their new buyline of "more and more and more of everything", ha.

It is remarkable that when a XC90 pulls into a swanky restaurant, fancy club, valet, anywhere, it just looks chisled good. Volvo hit it waaaaay out of the park with this design. It has endured Ford ownership, probably saw a few good things along the way, and now under new ownership we are looking back to Sweden once again and the engineers who made it happen before, to come up with a worthy successor. It will not be easy. The XC60 is a good vehicle as far as I know, but it has not (nor ever will) made the IMPACT that the XC90 has. You made a great choice, enjoy, and savor the moment. You won't find anything with the ease of entry, double tailgate, nicely formed body panels, and super clean interior detailing in much of anything else.

Regards,

P

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is my 2007 3.2 with American Racing Maverick wheels in 20s. I love the new look! Exactly what i was goin for. Upgraded look but not "LOOK AT ME" effect. I wanted something that would look like it might have come from VOLVO that way! These wheels really did it for me. This is the only shot ive taken. Ill get some more when i get back home.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I couldn't disagree more on the 20's. The XC90 is known to eat tires so why intentionally go for more expensive rubber? There are very good 18" tires available as well as nice 18" wheels. The money will make a greater impact spent on IPD sway bars and links, brake pads that don't poop on your wheels and a good alignment job.

The problem with aftermarket wheel availability is: 1)a funky bolt pattern not shared by a bunch of other manufacturers, 2)even funkier hub diameter not shared with other Volvo models and 3) a somewhat odd offset. When you combine all three you get a limited set of wheels that will fit. I believe IPD's Peg's are manufactured with "universal" hubs and vehicle specific hub-centric rings. I personally think they would look great on the XC90.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SWEET look Mike X! I love those American Racing rims on the XC90! They look really sharp! However, I am with Rob on the 18'' rims.... I think they will be much less costly in the long run on tires and should still give the upgrade factory look. Those AMR Mav's in 18'' might be the way I end up going... $660 for 4 at the Tire Rack. Not bad.... Still would love to know what 18'' Pegs look like though.

Thanks everyone for your input!!! Keep it coming! I'm an open minded chap....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Mike! Did you get any more pics of the Mavericks? Would love to see a couple more!

Here is my 2007 3.2 with American Racing Maverick wheels in 20s. I love the new look! Exactly what i was goin for. Upgraded look but not "LOOK AT ME" effect. I wanted something that would look like it might have come from VOLVO that way! These wheels really did it for me. This is the only shot ive taken. Ill get some more when i get back home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts