SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to this forum, i just picked up a 2006 s40 t5 with 87k miles. So far im loving the car, one question i had is occasionally i hear, what i assume to be some sort of air sound almost sounds like a disk drive spinning from the passenger side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you hear it after you let of the throttle?
If so you're probably hearing your turbo :)

Or if your at idle speeds or parked but the car is on is it a spinning/whistling sound?
Is so again its your turbo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1^ .... dkas10 can you give us some examples of when you hear this noise. There are a few possible things it could be if it is indeed the passenger side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it guess its intermittent, i dont think its the turbo. Its really hard to pinpoint and exact cause, at first i thought it was A/C related but its happened without it. RPM doesnt affect it I.E. higher RPM doesnt make it sound worse although it does seem to stop after idling for a bit. Its hard to tell because i dont think to look for it i just happen to notice occasionally. Maybe tomorrow ill mess around with a couple of things to see if i can find something the actually causes it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The barking dog blower damper making a whisper noise? The damper makes noise at most start-ups, could be that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems to be a/c related, i hear for a second after i start the car and it stops pretty quickly but the second i turn the a/c fan it on i can hear it again and it continues for a bit after a turn the ac off. Its not very loud, like i said similar to a disc drive spinning and most road noise cancels it out and you can hear it at all with the radio on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine has been like that since I've owned it, and I never thought twice about it.

Maybe I was too stuck on the concept of the "waterfall".....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts