SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Post; be warned.

As the title states, I just bought an 05' R. I've been checking out the forums for a while but still feel overwhelmed as to the wealth of information here.

I was hoping someone could ease me into some possible performance upgrades etc. I've been looking at some of the Elevate engine modifications as well as Viva. I have been considered the Elevate Exhaust System specifically.

I have looked at some of the issues that can occur with the Rs and have taken them into consideration.

Like I said before, I'm not knowledgeable with cars (sadly). Any and all help, tips, suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Its at my mechanic right now getting the full inspection and such. I'll post some pics when I pick her up.

P.S. I do apologize if this post is breaks any rules, I read the FAQ and don't believe I have.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Easy performance mods:

Exhaust system: Catback or full with downpipe. Full will be much more expensive but is a better performance gain. You can get these either custom made at an exhaust shop or buy from IPD, Viva, Eurosporttuning, etc. Eurosport has all their exhaust systems on sale until the end of this month.

Intake: Most intake mods don't actually do much..but if you want to spend the money, Snabb intake pipe and a K&N or equivalent performance filter.

Not quite as easy but very common is to do an intercooler upgrade. IPD makes a drop in stock placement one that's good, but the best gains are found from Front Mount Intercoolers. Cheapest is to custom make from universal parts but there are some pre-made kits out there.

TUNE: A tune is the single easiest way to unlock the power of your car. Both IPD and Viva have tunes but as of right now I'd personally wait for Advanced Research and Development (http://ardideas.com/) to finish their R tunes. The guy who runs that company is a former employee of IPD and is widely accepted as one of the best volvo tune makers around *for the 1998-2000 cars*. Reviews haven't come in on his 04+ tunes but I expect them to be awesome. He expects his R tunes to be done pretty shortly. He'll custom adjust the tune depending on what mods you have (exhaust, FMIC, etc).

The main thing is this. What is your budget for mods? Obviously you're going to have to have labor costs since your mechanic will be doing it all I assume.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Make sure you / your mechanic confirms that your AWD is working and that your angle gear isn't weeping or otherwise grenaded. I wish I had known about the "angle gear test" (type "site:forums.swedespeed.com angle gear test" into google) when I had my car PPI'd by the local Volvo shop, because I'm pretty sure it was sold to me with non-functional AWD :(

Also, welcome. You need to pics ASAP otherwise we all know that you're really driving a camRy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the response. Right now my budget is looking to be about 3K for the short-term since I just bought it. I'm checking out Eurosport right now. Should I stay away from the Elevate exhausts system?

The car already had an upgraded inter-cooler, won't be sure of the specifics until my mechanic lets me know.

Labor costs are fairly cheap; mom works for a Volvo Dealer so I can decent prices on all that. Again, thanks for the advice, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
How many miles? 100k? Timing belt.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
First Post; be warned.

As the title states, I just bought an 05' R. I've been checking out the forums for a while but still feel overwhelmed as to the wealth of information here.

I was hoping someone could ease me into some possible performance upgrades etc. I've been looking at some of the Elevate engine modifications as well as Viva. I have been considered the Elevate Exhaust System specifically.

I have looked at some of the issues that can occur with the Rs and have taken them into consideration.

Like I said before, I'm not knowledgeable with cars (sadly). Any and all help, tips, suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Its at my mechanic right now getting the full inspection and such. I'll post some pics when I pick her up.

P.S. I do apologize if this post is breaks any rules, I read the FAQ and don't believe I have.
You absolutely have broken rule 16, article 5b:

People who own cars that do no relate to this specific forum shall not post, especially those with any model year Camrys.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Easy performance mods:

Exhaust system: Catback or full with downpipe. Full will be much more expensive but is a better performance gain. You can get these either custom made at an exhaust shop or buy from IPD, Viva, Eurosporttuning, etc. Eurosport has all their exhaust systems on sale until the end of this month.

Intake: Most intake mods don't actually do much..but if you want to spend the money, Snabb intake pipe and a K&N or equivalent performance filter.

Not quite as easy but very common is to do an intercooler upgrade. IPD makes a drop in stock placement one that's good, but the best gains are found from Front Mount Intercoolers. Cheapest is to custom make from universal parts but there are some pre-made kits out there.

TUNE: A tune is the single easiest way to unlock the power of your car. Both IPD and Viva have tunes but as of right now the consensus is to wait for Advanced Research and Development (http://ardideas.com/) to finish their R tunes. The guy who runs that company is the former tuner for IPD and is widely accepted as one of the best volvo tune makers around. He expects his R tunes to be done pretty shortly. He'll custom adjust the tune depending on what mods you have (exhaust, FMIC, etc).

The main thing is this. What is your budget for mods? Obviously you're going to have to have labor costs since your mechanic will be doing it all I assume.
What an absolute load of garbage. Lucky was NOT the tuner at IPD. IPD is a reseller of MTE, who prepares ALL The tunes for IPD (in SWEDEN). Lucky has been in the tuning business for less than a year and is NOT widely accepted as the best Volvo tune maker. Don't compare his 1 year of experience to 20+ years of experience the Swedish tuners (MTE, RICA, Autotech, etc.) have. Where do you get this information from?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
What an absolute load of garbage. Lucky was NOT the tuner at IPD. IPD is a reseller of MTE, who prepares ALL The tunes for IPD (in SWEDEN). Lucky has been in the tuning business for less than a year and is NOT widely accepted as the best Volvo tune maker. Don't compare his 1 year of experience to 20+ years of experience the Swedish tuners (MTE, RICA, Autotech, etc.) have. Where do you get this information from?
Agree 100%.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Maybe put ARD as the most accessible tuner.
Its great to be able to go to his shop and talk about specific tune and car plans. A bit harder to do with the other tuners, Although not sure about Elevate.

But enjoy the car, I would make sure you get all of the dealer updates to the ECU before you start any mods

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would go for the MTE¨s tune ,as a Swedish I know, I hade/have theres tunes in my 5 R,s and it works man,belive me!.MTE`s Tunes its awesome!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts