SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I just pulled the trigger on a 04 XC90 2.5T. Since it's 8 years old and timing belt has never been replaced, I want to do that asap with my brother (car mechanic)
Is there anything special knowledge or tools required for the XC90?
Also I want to change the spine sleeve to the newer hardened version (though it's not broken yet, AWD was working fine) just to be safe for the future.
Is there a manual for doing that? Any special tools required here?
Thanks in advance!

Regards a future XC90 owner :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and if anyone could give me the part number for the spine sleeve that would be great.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The timing belt replacement does not require a special tool. IF you search on here someone just posted a how to. The spline sleave may be a little more tricky, and I would advise you look for a how to on that as well. Unfortunately there is not enough demand for a third party manual for the publishers to put one together. Your best bet is to find a vidas/ DiCE setup. The notorious auction site always has them available, but 99% of them are grey/black market items. Every now and then you can find a genuine Volvo version of the DiCE. You can always get Vidas and DiCE through volvo tech, but that will cost you the price of your car. You can get a subscription to Vidas through volvo tech as well, most people I think get the 3 day subscription once or twice a year to get all the software (have to pay for subscription and cost of updates) updates. Also if you take the car in for service there is a way for them to give you the updates at no added cost, but I am not sure of the details. Vidas is the software the dealer uses as a repair manual.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The timing belt replacement does not require a special tool. IF you search on here someone just posted a how to. The spline sleave may be a little more tricky, and I would advise you look for a how to on that as well. Unfortunately there is not enough demand for a third party manual for the publishers to put one together. Your best bet is to find a vidas/ DiCE setup. The notorious auction site always has them available, but 99% of them are grey/black market items. Every now and then you can find a genuine Volvo version of the DiCE. You can always get Vidas and DiCE through volvo tech, but that will cost you the price of your car. You can get a subscription to Vidas through volvo tech as well, most people I think get the 3 day subscription once or twice a year to get all the software (have to pay for subscription and cost of updates) updates. Also if you take the car in for service there is a way for them to give you the updates at no added cost, but I am not sure of the details. Vidas is the software the dealer uses as a repair manual.
The older Volvo VADIS system goes through 2005 and it even covers our 2006 XC90 V8 (a 2006 -- possibly since
they might have been sold as 2005 in some market?). See the notorious auction site mentioned above for purchase. It does
work best on an older PC with an older version of Internet Explorer. If nothing else, it is good for looking up part
numbers (allowing you to more easily buy from tascaparts.com, etc.). Do some google searches on "volvo vadis" to find the
potential issues with getting it up and running. One thing, the official manuals often specify custom Volvo tools and
you often have to find a different way to get the job done.

alldatadiy.com is another potential site. But I'm not sure how much detail they go into for procedures like
replacing the timing belt (and the associated parts -- don't replace just the belt).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Found a good timing belt replacement guide including torque values for the different screws. :thumbup:

Am I correct here that the challenging part, when replacing the spine sleeve with a new one, is to get the old one off?
I'll also order a VADIS CD off the bay. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are 2 different timing belt kits for the XC90 2.5T from "Gates". K025509XS and K015509XS.
The only difference is the tensioner.
The first kit has this tensioner "VOLVO 30637955" and the second kit's tensioner has many different Volvo part numbers:
VOLVO 30638277
VOLVO 8642251
VOLVO 8670484
VOLVO 8687851
VOLVO 8692630
VOLVO 9440329

Which is the right one? :confused:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm at the right foroum for this question, im a rookie, Does anyone knows how to change the timer length on the puddle light i know it could be set for 30,60 or 90 seconds but i cant figure how to do it and i cant find it in the manual, your help its apreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts