SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in shock, I found a low milage one owner Saffron and bought it yesterday.:p
Car was maintained at a Volvo dealership most of its life and other than a few Volvo annoyances needs just an new timing belt.
Just don't know where to start!
My wife's 2004 V70R is plenty fast enough and I feel like performance mods on this car other than a better car will kill it's originality.
Starting with installing a set of 18" tritons for now and just drive it!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Nice score ! Cosmetically i would start with wheels, window tint and a rear wing. Mechanically, timing belt, water pump, pully, tensioner and serpentine. New plugs (volvo OEM only) oil filler cap gasket, coolant resevior and new silicone hoses to turbo/TCV

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
302mm front brake upgrade. Better lighting (e codes, jewels ect) Sc901 from any 99+ to replace the sc900 that 98s come with for better sound quality and adjustments. Delrin subframe bushings. Rear sway bar upgrade. Strut tower brace. That should get you started for a while.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
302mm front brake upgrade. Better lighting (e codes, jewels ect) Sc901 from any 99+ to replace the sc900 that 98s come with for better sound quality and adjustments. Delrin subframe bushings. Rear sway bar upgrade. Strut tower brace. That should get you started for a while.
Just for giggles, I just sold my landcruiser I've have for over 20 years, did good with the sale so any shop in the tristate area that would install these and other mods? Being an electrician, i'm busy till winter and rather pay someone to perform the work.
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The coolant reservoir is where you add coolant. Its the clear bottle just left of the timing belt cover. They crack over time and leak coolant.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Just for giggles, I just sold my landcruiser I've have for over 20 years, did good with the sale so any shop in the tristate area that would install these and other mods? Being an electrician, i'm busy till winter and rather pay someone to perform the work.
Any recommendations?
Rolling Motors in Watertown CT.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The coolant reservoir is where you add coolant. Its the clear bottle just left of the timing belt cover. They crack over time and leak coolant.
Well I am currently stuffing a LH6 5.3 with a 78 turbo, 4L80E. 8.8 rear, and Holley EFI terminator into my old 940 so know what it does, just not familiar with this specific car!!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Wow, very impressive !

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
So how many miles does it have?!

Alright here's the dealio with the '98R, I say this as an owner of one since new.

* it's the last "mechanical" Volvo, mechanical throttle body, more simple ECU, more simple 4 speed trans, everything is more simple than 99+, this is both good and bad. Good in that it's easier to work on, less to go wrong, bad in that it lacks a little of the engine refinement of the next generation.

The following are the common maintenance items I can think of that you'll likely want to do at some point

* Timing belt
* Water pump
* Thermostat
* Replace every god damn vacuum line with silicone, they rot, badly, lots of elbows to go bad
* Full PCV system
* Drain/fill transmission, IPD has a nice kit for this https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4808/107945-volvo-automatic-transmission-flush-hose-kit-ipd-107945 that lets you just unhook at the trans cooler plug on the radiator and drain/fill it with the car running getting 100% of the fluid. PUT A HOSE CLAMP AROUND THE PRESS ON CLAMP ON THE RADIATOR FITTING AFTERWARDS. Thank me later.
* Check for leaks, common spots: Engine oil cooler lines (right side of engine to radiator), they fail at the crimps. Cam seals. Turbo oil drain line.
* Blow out the interior temp sensor (switch pack right of the steering wheel, has a little grill). Use a can of compressed air just blow it out a lil bit.
* Find the squeaks and rattles it will have: Rear tail gate, electrical tape around the latch fixes it. Also if the rear tailgate panel is loose IPD Has a nice kit that fixes its mounting points for cheap. Rear seat backs squeak too, again a little electrical tape around the latch bar fixes it. If the dash rattles its mounts are broken and it needs to come out to fix it, or just do what I do and ignore it!
* If it has the center speaker on the dash chances are it is blown
* Carrier bearing and CV joints on the center propshaft (axle down the middle of the car) can go bad with age. Colorado driveshaft rebuilds the whole shaft for a reasonable price.
* Delrin subframe bushings as previously mentioned are nice. IPD makes some inserts which work instead of replacing the whole bushing.
* Engine mounts and transmission mounts (IPD makes some more solid-performance like ones, can increase vibrations in the car a little though)

Now for QOL I would suggest the following even though you want it mostly stock

* Bilstein touring struts up front if it ever needs struts
* IPD swaybars, THE SINGLE BEST MOD YOU CAN DO TO THAT CAR!! Seriously the IPD swaybars absolutely transform the car. 10/10 would suggest. Some people say only the rear is needed, I like doing both.

* Personally I suggest ditching the stock head unit, not even upgrading to the 901, install a modern double-din with bluetooth and the works. It's not "stock" but damn it's better for daily usability. It's super easy too, there are adapters that go from the pre-amp out of a modern headunit right to the OEM amp in the car, no speaker wiring required. You do lose the center speaker/dolby which I don't care about but many on here rave and kick and scream anytime I suggest it so take that for what you will

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For starters. We need more pics of the new ride! One pic doesn't do it for us Volvo Freaks!

Also great score!
Just trying to catch up with all the info, mods and what I should do first.
Avboden got me thinking correctly, start with the basics and go from there.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Re-Volv in Oxford, MA has the coilovers for the whole car front and rear!.
Planning on trailering them the car to go through the whole thing front and back.
Just finding out how few of these exist so its worth the investment.
Any feed back on these BR coilovers yet?
https://re-volvparts.com/store/home/121-bc-racing-br-series-coilovers-for-1998-2000-v70r-awd.html
The spring rates are very wrong. Don’t waste your money.

Having had to fully rebuild (ahem unf*ck) a p80 awd that was worked on by the mechanic at revolv, I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere if quality service is what you want.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I love those of you assuming every new member is mechanically inept.

+1 to what Avboden said, minus the IPD subframe bushing inserts. I swapped an entire C70 convertible subframe (with triangulating braces in front) into my Saffron R, they have solid aluminum bushings and can be found for less than delrin bushings.
Ditch the Volvo head unit and come to the 21st century, it's better.
For sound and aesthetic reasons, find a dual exhaust.
Depending on how long you're planning on keeping the car, consider manual swapping it with an AWD M66 transmission from an S40/V50 T5 AWD or V70R/S60R. It'll transform the car.

Congrats on the purchase and we need more pictures!

·
Registered
17,037 Posts
4 bolt control arms offset the cost advantage of the C70 subframe. Delrin is the way.

If you are going to manual swap, it would probably make more sense to delete the AWD. It's a heavy and old school AWD system that doesn't add value if you're running good modern tires unless you are planning on making like 400+whp

·
Registered
474 Posts
4 bolt control arms offset the cost advantage of the C70 subframe. Delrin is the way.

If you are going to manual swap, it would probably make more sense to delete the AWD. It's a heavy and old school AWD system that doesn't add value if you're running good modern tires unless you are planning on making like 400+whp

The dynamics and traction difference with and without the driveshaft are ridiculous.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts

The dynamics and traction difference with and without the driveshaft are ridiculous.
I believe Jared is suggesting reverting the entire car to a fwd platform. No angle gear or multi link. Ive seen it done personally and it was an easy clean conversion. Volvo did make fwd saffron R wagons and currently they’re a very hot commodity in Europe. A 650 lb diet does make a large difference.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update!!
Just got the tritons with some new rubber on them and my Klasse all in one came as well.
Spending the weekend;
Full tune up
Transmission flush IPD style
New angle gear fluid
Fix rear hatch shocks before the tailgate breaks me neck
Side maker lights, removing volvo emblem before buffing out old paint
New cabin filter, Is it a bitch to change? never did one
Remove old handset phone system, want to keep it for the, i'm old school look but takes up the whole center console.
Then posting some pictures on sunday.

Mods will be next;
Lower better suspension
Slightly bigger turbo with nice exhaust
Then? DRIVE IT!

Not going looking for high hp output in this one, just enough reliable HP to keep up with the johnsons!!

So the powder coating supplier will only sell a minimum of 50 LBS of the Saffron 435 paint.
Please blast me with options, will I regret Saffron inners on my newly acquired Tritons?
Should look like this when all
said and done

·
Registered
17,037 Posts
Not feeling the Saffron wheels idea. Whatever you do DO NOT TAKE THE WHEELS APART the bolts are $$$$$ and extremely single use.

Yeah I was suggesting replacing the rear suspension with Delta link. Driveshaft only deletes are lame. Complaining about the AWD being heavy would be stupid if I wasn't suggesting doing something about that. There's a good reason you almost never see FWD V70Rs at bargain basement pricing in Europe.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts