SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to this forum. im from Denmark by the way.
I uploaded a photo thats is to refere to a question, not my car.
Just bought a Volvo s80 momentum from 2008, with a 5 cylinder gasoline engine, 2.5T. (i will get the car from the dealer in 6 days.)
Before i had a Mercedes E500 from 2003.
So i have some questions about some stuff i wanna do on it. And also is there something i should look out for on the car, or tell the dealer to look for before i get it? it has a 3 month warranty.
I have googled a lot, and could not fine a answer for these questions:

1, What is the model code, like my e500 it was w211, that ment is was the e class from 03-09 or so. And in 06 it had a facelift, so a lot of part would not fit, but still same model name.

2, Where should i by parts? Im from Denmark (scandinavia) like Bor wheels. And other parts.

3, see photo, my car has this 2 part bumper all the way around with the bottom part being in a weird sligthly different material. Thinks its to avoid rocks and other to hit the painting. But i dont like it, so it need to be changes to just black like the rest of the car, where do i buy this ''lower skirt''? And what is the name for it? Can i just change the lower part of the bumper?

4, I wanna update the steering wheel to the never model, with the metal thing on it, is it just an easy swap? What will the price be, and again, where to buy it.

5 , last thing, i just wanne do some update so it looks more like the new one, or an more expensive version of it, like the r design or executive, what should/could i do, and again where to look for parts there will fit.

Thank you all very much,
by the way i understand this is an american forum, but it seems to be the best/biggest one. So if you guys only know american sites for buying parts, then that will work as well i just dont know where to look. (tried ebay, and google, a LOT)

·
Registered
510 Posts
You can do a search in the Forum, I've found lots of info here. Look at the top section for mods folks have done with write ups and photos. This is the P3 chassis from what I found, tasca is a seller of OEM parts, got a replacement key from them, will be sourcing other parts as time goes on. Can't see your photo so don't know what you mean about the 2 part bumper. Check out the modification thread in the Stickies section, you will find many of your answers there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
1, P3

2, Not sure, but tascaparts.com has some good prices. IPD USA is also good, and i believe they are a vendor as well

3, Can't see picture, broken link

4, plug and play, but the airbag will have to be replaced as well since it's a different size i believe. They can be bought from the dealer, and are not too expensive. A salvage yard or ebay are also a good bet. roughly about $300

5 , You can change the grille to the newer style and add some LED running lights. Not much to change from the exterior.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both!
Not sure why the photo is not working....

As this is my number one ''problem'' /first think that needs to be changes. Dont seem like a lot of s80 have this option...
I will try again to find a way to upload the photo.

·
Registered
510 Posts
That looks like what we call body cladding, typically plastic to help prevent damage when driving off road, much like the stuff you see on the XC70. Do you have a lot of gravel roads in your area?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
1) The model is called and marketed as S80 but since the car has a predecessor it's usually referred to as S80 II or S80 N ("new"). Someone mentioned P3 but that's not the model code, that's the platform the car's built on and it's the same as the V70 and XC70 2008- are built on, and maybe the V60/S60 2009- also. Not surea bout those but I think so. The old S80 was built on the P2 platform. Specify it as an S80 2008 and you'll be set.

3) Not sure what it's called but I believe the cars with the better equipment packages would get the painted ones. I know the rear one is swappable without all too much hassle. The side ones are swappable but no clue how tricky it is. Front one I have no idea but I'd assume it is since it looks like two separate pieces.

4) I also want to do this mod but it's definitely not a plug and play. I've asked around a lot and nobody seems to know. I asked at my dealership and they told me that worst case scenario you'll have to swap the SWM (steering wheel module) and if so that'll be the end of it because the newer model just wont work. And even if you don't have to swap the SWM, you most likely will need to swap the whole steering column (the part that attaches to the steering wheel and runs down to the floor). Retail price is 6000 SEK or 3000-something if you buy it from a salvage yard. And then there's the steering wheel itself. The price for a beige leather one with the aluminium insert and classic wood is 4500 SEK I believe.

5) I'm not sure exactly how your car looks to begin with. You've provided two pictures. One was a 2.0 (4-cyl, you said 2,5T in your first post?) and the other one looks like a D5? Show us a picture of how your car looks and I could probably give you a lot of advice. But beware some of them that do the most good does cost a bit.

Om du letar Volvo-forum skulle jag nog rekommendera http://www.jagrullar.se/forum/ också. Det är på svenska men danska och norska brukar gå bra. Brukar vara enklare att få tips från folk som bor typ i närheten, typ angående var man kan köpa saker eller liknande. Skulle gissa utrustningspaketen i Sverige också har fler likheter med de i danmark än de i USA. I USA verkar det vara utes l u t ande T6 och V8 bland S80:s och i regel ganska hög lägsta nivå på utrustningen medan vi har vissa fler lite mer sparsmakade bilar. Tror inte det finns några bilar på USA-marknaden som har samma svarta plast som du har längst ner.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nice car! I know on a lot of US cars, the less equipped or "no options" versions can come with plastic panels like that. I have never seen it on an S80, but I have seen it on other US spec versions of other brands. The good think it is something you can change. I say change those pieces, get some Bor or Magni wheels, 2014+ tail light and your car will look baddass.

Also, I am curious about what type of engine is a 4-cyl gasoline with 145 hp. Is it the old 2.0F that you could find in the prior generations? I think that was actually a Renault engine, right?

Fin bil! Grattis!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
UGh, I don't think Volvo has used Renault engines or any other engine in PRV-like constellations since long ago. The 2.0F is according to wikipedia Ford-made. Could've been worse, lol.

Edit: err, I continued reading the same wiki article on the V70 and it seems the old 1,6 liter diesel engine at 109 hp was made by Ford together with Renault and Citroën. The new D2 is Volvo-made, I'm confident enough of it that I wont even look if I'm right (and to spare myself from a second edit).

·
Registered
324 Posts
UGh, I don't think Volvo has used Renault engines or any other engine in PRV-like constellations since long ago. The 2.0F is according to wikipedia Ford-made. Could've been worse, lol.

Edit: err, I continued reading the same wiki article on the V70 and it seems the old 1,6 liter diesel engine at 109 hp was made by Ford together with Renault and Citroën. The new D2 is Volvo-made, I'm confident enough of it that I wont even look if I'm right (and to spare myself from a second edit).
I bet you are right. I worked at Torslanda about 10 years ago and they were on their way out even then. I am surprised to know that the 1.6D was made by Ford, Citroen and Renault. I remember driving a V50 (when they were new) and was very impressed by it then. I was kinda bummed out too when I learned that the engine I have in mine (3.2L I-6 second generation) was manufactured by Ford in the UK. I have, however, heard that it is a complete design by Volvo i Skövde and that quality should not be an issue.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I believe those cladding panels were not available on third generation S80s exported to the USA. You consider them unattractive. I thought they make the S80 look less bulky....more elongated as the lower cladding merges with the dark undercarriage. So I may be one of the only new S80 owner who had my dealer add vinyl cladding all around. It actually coordinates nicely with the black mud flaps and looks like your factory cladded S80. The link below should link to my 2012 Swedespeed thread on this topic.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?183394-S80-custom-wrap

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I think I've seen pictures of your car before, benbow. And I did react to the weird combo of double visible exhausts and black "cladding" or wrapping. I don't dare say about the north american market but in Sweden and presumably all of europe, if you opt for a bigger engine you'll get bumped to a higher level of equipment. All of the T6's and V8's were Summum (highest regular package available here) unless you opted for executive which I don't think ever was a standard addon to any engine (whereas it seems all V8's from 2008-2010 were exec's in the states).

I don't think the black cladding is used on any newer P3 volvos. It is available on the new XC90 but then again that's a SUV so it's sort of supposed to be there if you ask me. At least some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi everyone! Thank you all. BUT the photo of the car and link IS NOT MY CAR, just to show the ''Cladding'' ''lower body black thing'' i dont get my car before sunday! From the dealer, thats why i cant upload a picture of my exact car. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Do anyone know if it would be possibly to just vinyl wrap it or paint the cladding/lower bumper? The car is black.
Found a photo of MY car from the dealer website.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just paint the parts in your car's colour.Why bother with vinyl.A good paintjob will save you a lot of money.
You can put a new logo on the grill in front,the new steering wheel and airbag also,the executive chrome package.it is 700$
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/S80(07-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-479720/2011
The executive badges on the back pillars,18" or 19"alloys
The interior lighting stuff,chrome lip on the trunk and rear bumper,r desing instrument cluster,2014 led lamps or even the new style 2014 bumper.It costs a lot of money by the way.There is no such thing as an R design exterior kit for the s80,but if you want,you have the option of borrowing it from the v70 R DESING.It's fabulous.Just look into volvo accesories site and you will get the ideea.
The model is called S80 II AS AND THE PLATFORM IN P3
See itwontstopsnowin 's posts or the How to tutorials

1 - 17 of 17 Posts