SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking around the forum for the past week and figured I would finally post and say hello. Bought a CPO 2012 S60 T6 last week, car has a little over 32000 miles on it and is Flamenco Red with the Tan interior. Love the car so far, its actually the first foreign car I have owned. Its my daily driver as I have a 2005 GTO that I drive on nice days in the summer. I am thrilled with the power of the Volvo and how it handles, not to mention how damn comfortable the thing is. I never imagined owning a Volvo, but after taking several AWD sedans on test drives I was honestly blown away by the S60.

There are of course several quirks that I am getting used to (no temp gauge, digital speed read-out in km/h only, strange daytime running light situation....), but there is one that I find more annoying than the others. The transmission in regular D mode will at times seem to lag when first starting off from a stop. Its as if the torque converter takes a second to lock up before taking off in first gear. This does not happen all the time and does not happen in S mode. Anyone else experience this? Not sure if its maybe just the nature of the best or if I should go back to the dealer about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Been lurking around the forum for the past week and figured I would finally post and say hello. Bought a CPO 2012 S60 T6 last week, car has a little over 32000 miles on it and is Flamenco Red with the Tan interior. Love the car so far, its actually the first foreign car I have owned. Its my daily driver as I have a 2005 GTO that I drive on nice days in the summer. I am thrilled with the power of the Volvo and how it handles, not to mention how damn comfortable the thing is. I never imagined owning a Volvo, but after taking several AWD sedans on test drives I was honestly blown away by the S60.

There are of course several quirks that I am getting used to (no temp gauge, digital speed read-out in km/h only, strange daytime running light situation....), but there is one that I find more annoying than the others. The transmission in regular D mode will at times seem to lag when first starting off from a stop. Its as if the torque converter takes a second to lock up before taking off in first gear. This does not happen all the time and does not happen in S mode. Anyone else experience this? Not sure if its maybe just the nature of the best or if I should go back to the dealer about it. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new ride. I have a T5 and can only image how much more powerful the T6 is. Enjoy.
No Temp gauge: Many cars don't have it anymore. I ended up buying an OBD2 dongle to get all kinds of info
Digital speed in Km/hr: not much you can do there except use the OBD2 dongle.
Strange daytime running light situation: Actually NO daytime running light. If you pick that option in sensus you get full headlights on. I got the LED DLRs from ipd. I love them.
Transmission: They are not the smoothest, especially the early models. You can take it to the dealer and make sure you get the latest software update. That might help. Do you have Sport mode or only D and Manual.

Show us some pics of the car :)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The transmission in regular D mode will at times seem to lag when first starting off from a stop. Its as if the torque converter takes a second to lock up before taking off in first gear. This does not happen all the time and does not happen in S mode. Anyone else experience this? Not sure if its maybe just the nature of the best or if I should go back to the dealer about it. Thanks!
Is this only under heavy throttle? It may be the delay as the rear differential prepares for a higher percentage of torque to be sent to the rear wheels. You will probably get used to it and start subconsciously adapting the way you drive. It's more noticeable on pre-refresh Haldex IV vehicles, I think. Edit: You can think of it as traction control being proactive if you want and that is what you're experiencing.

It seems like regular fuel can also cause this strangeness for some reason.

Congrats on the new S60 and welcome to Swedespeed. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Awesome. Great choice and welcome! It is plenty fast as is, but I would recommend getting the Polestar optimization done at some point. I started out with my car as a regular T6 before getting the upgrade. The difference is quite noticeable. The numbers aren't drastically changed (300hp to 325hp, 325lb-ft to 354lb-ft), but you definitely can feel the difference. It is pricey, so if you ever do choose to have it done, start by calling VCNA customer service. They'll e-mail you a rebate coupon good for up to $200. I got my rebate check from them in less than a month after sending off the coupon. Also keep a look out on local dealers websites for any accessories/service specials or coupons they might be doing locally. You can also check with Volvo's website. I know they were (or are, I'm not sure) running a promotion for discounted Polestar optimizations. I hope you continue to enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

Congrats and welcome! The transmission is set to learn the driving style of the operator. Once it learns your style, it should feel better, since it is probably still set to the old owner. I used to think our 1st to 2nd shift was way too fast, but after logging 2800 miles in a week, it learned my style over my wifes (primary driver) and was much better for me. It took about 1000 miles to learn me, but there is a significant difference once it does. If you do not want to wait, I think the dealer can reset it.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Does the model have Drive-E ?

Congratulations! I had a T6 rental for a month. Nice ride
He has a 2012. Drive-E was introduced on MY 2015.

Congrats on the car OP!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys! I did disable the DRLs, was disappointed that it was the full array of lights for DRL that were on as opposed to just the LED strips next to the grille.

I thought the same thing about the premium gas, pretty sure the dealer just filled it with regular and was going to let a few tanks of premium cycle through before I went any further with the transmission thing....would like to avoid going back to the dealer anytime soon. Other thing about the trans I'm kind of shocked about is the way I can feel the downshifts when coming to a stop, can't remember driving an automatic that did that while just driving in regular D mode. Not that I mind it at all, its just different.

The car is surprisingly FAST and its very tempting to drive it hard, especially in S mode. Been searching around and I think one of my first modifications might be having a Borla muffler fitted in as the car is just a tad quieter than I'd like it to be. Any other simple bolt-ons you guys can suggest? Also with just over 32,000 miles on the clock are there any routine maintenance things I should be ready to do soon other than oil changes and tire rotations? (trans fluid, AWD system, etc....).

Couple quick picks I took after just getting the car....

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Looks very clean and sharp!
The hard downshifts are a common complaint :(
If you are looking for performance upgrades start with the IPD rear antisway bar and endlinks.
The grille LEDs only come on with parking lights and full headlights. IPD LED DRLs are a very sharp looking upgrade that give a unique look to the car.

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Your car appears to be the twin of mine. Mine:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...llery-Thread&p=2285949&viewfull=1#post2285949

So, Nice Car!

I do feel a bit of a delay to the transmission engaging from a stop, sometimes.
I have kind of learned to feather in the throttle easy at first to avoid it (like Matte
predicts you will).

You should send your VIN number to Volvo and ask if your car is covered under
safe and secure. That includes all maintenance except tires. So, the previous
owner should have kept it well serviced since it was included. Safe and Secure
transfers if the car was originally sold and does not if it was originally leased:

http://www.volvocars.com/us/forms/owner-questions

Tings to watch:
After 4 years/42K miles mine is due for a new battery. If I sit and listen to the radio
(engine off) for a few minutes I get a low battery warning. But that is covered under
Safe and Secure :) A few others report some battery issues but there is not a real list
of common things to watch for since the T6s have been pretty reliable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It appears we are twins krn, that Polestar Tune you have though......how much did those extra hp and torque change the way it drove? Was it worth the $1500 I've seen that it costs?

I believe my car came off a lease, but nevertheless I will check my VIN to see what my car qualifies for, thanks for the heads up!

Just did my first modification to the car tonight.....swapped out the stock license plate lights for some LEDs from Pilot Automotive, looks so much better.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
For the tune, I used the rebate as ROTH mentions and also asked for 10% off.
The Service Adviser was 'up-selling' me the tune on a service visit and had to
go back and check with someone on the discount. I mention that since it is
pretty easy to get 10% off parts by just asking but that was not the case here.
He did come back after a few minuets and they did take off 10%.

I do like it and consider it worth the money. Note that Volvo offers a two week period
where if you do not like it, they will refund your money. I suspect tunes are a
hard sell so the money back guarantee seems like a good way for them to go on this.
But, always ask about the money back before buying.

I also have Michilin AS/3 tires and would upgrade the stock tires to a more performance tire
before doing the tune.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats and welcome! The transmission is set to learn the driving style of the operator. Once it learns your style, it should feel better, since it is probably still set to the old owner. I used to think our 1st to 2nd shift was way too fast, but after logging 2800 miles in a week, it learned my style over my wifes (primary driver) and was much better for me. It took about 1000 miles to learn me, but there is a significant difference once it does. If you do not want to wait, I think the dealer can reset it.

Any way to clear this memory? Of the car learning your driving style that is.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've heard disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes or so will do the trick. Not sure about the "connect the positive to negative cable" thing...?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's really interesting regarding the whole driving style thing, confirms for me that the previous driver's style sucked, lol. Looking forward to seeing what adjustments the car makes over the next 1,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Im not sure, but you could just drive it the way you want for about 1,000 miles and that should do it. We just hit 1,000 miles with my wife driving, after I logged the 2,800, and the quick 1st to 2nd is back.

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
Welcome to swedespeed and congrats on the new ride from a fellow Clevelander. I got my current car from Montrose.

Car looks very nice - enjoy!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heard back from Volvo and apparently I still have two free services left on my car, which is a nice added bonus. Dealer never said anything about that and indicated the car was off a lease, but still the rep told me that I am eligible to get the 37,500 and 45,000 services for free. Thanks for the suggestion krm to send them my VIN. I got my car over at Montrose as well Wayne.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Nice! The Service Writer at the dealer will also look it up and confirm (save that email
from Volvo).

Note if it is Safe and Secure (should be) that also would include brakes, wipers, battery,
etc., anything that the car needs (except tires). It will not include synthetic oil since
2012 did not come with synthetic from the factory (but they will typically use synthetic
for a small upcharge).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts