SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on a few other forums and got 100+ views but no responses so here's hoping...

OK so I got a screaming deal on a 2003 S80 T6 w/ 90,000 miles for $1200, knowing at least one turbo needed a rebuild, as it had a bad seal and was dumping white smoke. Father in law volunteered to do the rebuilds and help me remove/replace them.
I admittedly focused on the mechanical when I was inspecting it and didn't inspect the exterior well enough, I knew it had been in an accident with no airbag deployment leading to salvage title (carfax+DMV lined up with owners description) but the owner said it was completely rebuilt. Not quite. It's probably the shoddiest job I've ever seen, there are 2 plugs I can't identify dangling near the lights, but both side markers, blinkers, and hi/low beams work, fogs don't but are connected. On top of that, the Pax side side markers were not installed properly, both the running light and the blinker. First time I drove it today the running light cover fell off and is gone, the blinker was not installed properly AND the paint looks much more faded than the rest of the car, leading me to believe the shop used salvage yard parts to put it together.
so on to a series of questions-

1- My sunroof doesn't respond to input, all fuses are intact, I understand that it can be related to the siren module, however my lights do flash when i lock/unlock, and panic button does set the car off. I do not have an alarm system requires maintenance notification. Could it still be siren module causing me problems? I've tried locking and relocking the car multiple times, the battery was flat dead when I got the car, installed a new battery this morning.

2- I looked at the technician page someone posted (I believe here) on removing the Turbo, but it said you need to remove the right drive shaft. Can anyone explain this? I can reach back and touch the pax side turbo easily and my father in law after looking said he believes he can access the drivers side turbo without removing it.

3 I know the trannies on the T6 in this year range were problematic, but this one checked out fine, are there any early warning symptoms I should watch for that will warn me something is about to go wrong and I can get ahead of it?

4- are there any cheap places to get small body parts like the side markers?

5- Fog lights- foglights appear to be connected, when i press the button on the dash it lights green and no error message pops up but no lights come on. Rear fog says dead bulb....except I can't find the rear foglight to replace the bulb...

6- my car has fuses for heated seats, but I have no dash buttons to turn them on, is this typical? I live in southern California so heated seats aren't exactly important to me but I'd like to know.

7- I've got the On-Call system with phone and whatnot, is there any way to change it from the craptastic non functioning onboard phone to bluetooth? I love having the keypad on the dash, steering wheel controls, and speaker behind my head, but can't use them. If I could use all of the on board controls with a paired bluetooth cell phone it would be amazing. I'm fairly tech oriented (I'm much more tech inclined than mechanically) so i'm not afraid of doing custom wiring but I'd love a nice kit to do it with.

8- Anything else I should know?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
3.) No. Just baby the car and do regular fluid changes. Install a tranny cooler bypass.

4.) V&S Auto Dismantlers or Erie Vovo.

6.) Pretty sure heated seats were standard. My 2002.5 T6 was a Premier. Everything came standard so not sure what was optional and what was standard. My 1999 T6 had heated seats too.

7.) nothing you can do unless you're willing to hack the car up even further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! I'm actually not far from V&S, and theyve offered to ship for super cheap for me! I thought the heated seats were standard too but just have a filler plate where the buttons would be. maybe if i yank the panel i'll find the wiring and can just install the factory buttons

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Dang! And I thought I got a good deal on my 2000 (or 2001, not sure which yet.) The prior owner drove it 40 miles to my driveway ... a week ago today, and I haven't had time to even unlock the doors and look inside. I know some work awaits me.

But I (over)paid $2000! ... and it has 170k miles!

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
His car has a salvage title. Different story.

If I was to do a P2 S80 again, it would be a 2005-2006 AWD. Basically a S60 AWD clone.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Change the transmission and filter ASAP - use a full synthetic transmission fluid. Redline synthetic is my recommendation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Change the transmission and filter ASAP - use a full synthetic transmission fluid. Redline synthetic is my recommendation.
I'm hoping you mean the transmission FLUID and filter? Thats on my list, along with oil, plugs & cap, and brake pads... I don't think I forgot anything...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Dang! And I thought I got a good deal on my 2000 (or 2001, not sure which yet.) The prior owner drove it 40 miles to my driveway ... a week ago today, and I haven't had time to even unlock the doors and look inside. I know some work awaits me.

But I (over)paid $2000! ... and it has 170k miles!
Njb8199 is right, with a salvage title in perfect working order it would be worth maybe $3,000 on a good day. With a blown turbo, a front bumper not quite attached right, and other minor issues it was price about right, because after I do all the work it needs i'll be right about at $2,000. So a good deal? Sure. Way underpriced? Nah. Doing all of this work at a shop would easily push it to $3,000 (the turbo job alone would have run me $1500)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
are there any well illustrated guides to doing a turbo rebuild? I've got the turbo out and disassembled but don't want to screw up the reassembly

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Did you buy a kit by chance? ... I have wondered if the instructions might be included. ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did buy the kit from gpopshop.com (CALL and ask, the TD04 kit on the site is NOT correct for our model). Jim sent me kits for both turbos for $230, since I decided against rebuilding the second turbo, he is allowing me to return the unused kit for a 100% refund. It did come with written instructions (no pics) but unless you know all the parts by name it's very hard to do. I used a picture by picture guide here; http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48611 as well as using my father in laws knowledge (he's not strong on turbos but in general he's very knowledgable)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
1- My sunroof doesn't respond to input, all fuses are intact, I understand that it can be related to the siren module, however my lights do flash when i lock/unlock, and panic button does set the car off. I do not have an alarm system requires maintenance notification. Could it still be siren module causing me problems? I've tried locking and relocking the car multiple times, the battery was flat dead when I got the car, installed a new battery this morning.
Lower driver door window, activate alarm, then reach inside and open the door. If the siren spits your ears it's not the siren module. Siren is actually powered by a rechargeable battery on the module itself (that's what goes bad and leaks) and even goes off if you disconnect car battery with alarm on. Mine is brand new and the panic button doesn't work because I didn't do the stealership programming so i don't think that's a good indicator. You'll usually get a alarm system service required message when it goes bad anyway.

There's also a Volvo recycler in Rancho Cordoba, CA (near Sacramento) I've used for little things like center door stop/hinge. Their prices weren't really that great though. I got clear side markers from China off eBay for less and they look better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts