SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! JC here. FIRST POST!! Here is a re-post of a post I made on BITOG, complete with pictures of the new VOLVO! :)

$2000 cash, flat. 131,589 miles!!!!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Welcome JC, looks fairly clean which is always a good start. Do some reading if you haven't already done so. It's always a good idea with these to start off by doing what we call a stage 0 baseline, which is all the maintainance stuff that should be covered. Then when things crop up, trouble shooting is easier. I've also heard that using a heat gun on those bumpers will get the grey back to black. Haven't tried it myself as I don't have an XC.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Nice! What's it need, if anything? $2k is a pretty decent price for that. Mileage isn't too bad either.

Are you much of a do-it-yourselfer? There's a lot you can do to get the car reliable and leak-free to provide many more years of Volvo service.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! What's it need, if anything? $2k is a pretty decent price for that. Mileage isn't too bad either.

Are you much of a do-it-yourselfer? There's a lot you can do to get the car reliable and leak-free to provide many more years of Volvo service.
Well, it depends on what needs done! The other forum is REALLY wanting me to get the timing belt done. Other than that, I have had the CEL/SES light, ABS , and another light come on a few times, yet also shut off upon car turning off. It accelerated weird twice, and the speedo has "dropped out" about three times. Other times, it works perfectly. Kind of strange!

But, yes, I do have mechanical inclanation. :)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
ABS module should fix those problems, and the acceleration might be an ETM on it's way out. Nothing urgent, but budget a used one or a new Xemodex ETM for the future.

Dremel open the ABS module, re-solder the cracked joints where the power connectors are on the circuit board, glue it back together, and enjoy your free fix. Easy.

Yep, timing belt is due around 150k if it was replaced at 75k to begin with. Do everything, water pump/pulley/tensioner/belt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Burnout8488 and others, can you provide a little more detail and "what typically goes wrong" and causes the ABS light to come on? It it always a sims connection break as you describe or can the module fail. The light just went on my friend's 2.5 FWD at 100k.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Any way to diagnose the ABS sensors first, before we cut open the module and look for wiring breaks?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
It's rarely - if ever - a failed ABS sensor. Certainly possible, and I'd definitely check the sensor wires in each wheel well just to make sure they weren't chopped, but at 100k, that ABS module is toast. They all will do it eventually, just a matter of time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's rarely - if ever - a failed ABS sensor. Certainly possible, and I'd definitely check the sensor wires in each wheel well just to make sure they weren't chopped, but at 100k, that ABS module is toast. They all will do it eventually, just a matter of time.
This is not true. I've seen (on several cars) where the front wheel speed sensors fail. Either the wiring cracks inside the sensor or inside the wiring insulation, rendering the sensor useless. It is almost always the front sensors though. Simply way to test using a resistance meter both on the sensor to make sure it's still good and on the wiring.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
We must be messing with totally different breeds! :) Luck of the draw I guess, I haven't encountered a bad ABS sensor in my days yet. Not to say it isn't totally feasible though. Good tip on testing them.

Sometimes the heat of the engine can cause the ABS module to start working again intermittently, because the solder joints expand ever so slightly and make contact. Mine only was finicky in extreme cold. Once the engine bay got hot, the ABS light went off. Then I re soldered everything and it worked 100% of the time.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Burnout8488 and others, can you provide a little more detail and "what typically goes wrong" and causes the ABS light to come on? It it always a sims connection break as you describe or can the module fail. The light just went on my friend's 2.5 FWD at 100k.
As in my PM a 96-01 ABS unit has nothing to do with an 04 (which is usually fine)
Completely different units

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks all, I am going to have the car in my driveway this afternoon and will have my first look. Anyone able to use the Foxwell NT300 code reader on the ABS system? I wasn't sure if it could help, I've only had mine a short time working on my new exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts