SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought this home for my wife, as we needed to replace her car quickly. Low 40,000 miles, garage kept, I don't think that it ever saw snow because the previous owner spent the winters in Fla. A few scratches and dings but thats it. I was hesitant about it being a 2001 but it was just traded in and the timing was right. We just updated the software including disabling the neutral stop(thanks Jim!) Trans shifts fine, hopefully it will give us many years of good use. Yes, I am aware of the possible issues of the trans, ETM, etc, but I'm willing to deal with it if it's ever an issue. Just got to stay on top of things.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That looks great, especially considering its age.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
how much did you give?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how much did you give?
Not as low as I'd like, I work at the dealer where it was traded and we had to step up to it to make the deal for the previous owner. Let's just say that I did not pay full retail but somewhat higher than wholesale.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
don't forget the timing belt, if it has never been done the belt is now 12 1/2 yrs old.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I hope you flushed that puppy and not just upgraded tranny software

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Here's to the hope that the powertrain internals are as beautiful as the outside!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope you flushed that puppy and not just upgraded tranny software
Drain and fill is on my list of things to do. Do you think that I should change the servo cover, I believe that there is an updated version?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Not as low as I'd like, I work at the dealer where it was traded and we had to step up to it to make the deal for the previous owner. Let's just say that I did not pay full retail but somewhat higher than wholesale.
I wish more of these would show up on the private market, but the owners always think they can hang on to them like gold and get a good dealer trade. Sounds like this owner thought that.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Drain and fill is on my list of things to do. Do you think that I should change the servo cover, I believe that there is an updated version?
Not really.
If it's shifting like it should, it means the cover is fine at least for now
Concentrate on your drain and fills, do three of them (10-11 quarts), it's necessary to do this now!

I think I've changed one servo cover in all the cars I've had.
If it's not flaring, it's fine

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
looks like it came right out of the Torslanda plant! nice find!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
don't forget the timing belt, if it has never been done the belt is now 12 1/2 yrs old.
Thanks. Timing belt, tensioner, idler were all done last year.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just picked up my 02 with 30k. Loving it. Needs a new alarm module, but all in all it's in great shape.
Congrats on the find! Just make sure that you read up on taking care of the transmission asap, there is some info in this thread and in others. Drain and fill, neutral stop feature disabled if not already done, software updates, etc. If the timing belt was never done, do it now, along with new tensioner and idler pulley.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Trans drain and fill done. The IPD hose and funnel kit makes this easy. The P2 cars (2001 up) use the lower rad trans hose, while the 1st gen 2000 and earlier use the upper hose. I went through about 10 1/2 qts, although vehicles with higher mileage may need to do partial changes. You MUST read up on this subject before doing it. For about $70. for the case of fluid and just over an hour of my time, this is a no brainer.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts