SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the site im looking for a site and some advice to get more power out of my 90' 240 DL 2.3
I love my "Dad" car and had one in highschool also. but i am having a hard time finding a clutch upgrade or any type of performance part for it. If anyone has advice on parts or tweeks let me know please. Also i Live in california so would have to be smoged... yay. Im new to working on Volvos so any advice is welcome

Are these Upgrades worth doing?
K&N 33-2538
Walker Exhaust 17816

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Hey guys new to the site im looking for a site and some advice to get more power out of my 90' 240 DL 2.3
I love my "Dad" car and had one in highschool also. but i am having a hard time finding a clutch upgrade or any type of performance part for it. If anyone has advice on parts or tweeks let me know please. Also i Live in california so would have to be smoged... yay. Im new to working on Volvos so any advice is welcome

Are these Upgrades worth doing?
K&N 33-2538
Walker Exhaust 17816
Welcome to Swedespeed, Thomas.

Is this 240 your daily-driver? Do you have reliable alternate transportation? What is your current budget for 240 dedicated improvements? When you visualize the car it its final stance what do you see? Do you plan to keep this car long-term? Will it be raced/rallyed? Is the car currently in good/excellent overall condition?

K&N filter and Walker exhaust - fun but a waste of money UNLESS other mods are done in conjunction.

Let's say you have $2,500 to blow on the car over a year's time, can do your own wrenching and have another ride while the car is on the jacks...

Engine - street cam, adjustable timing gear, larger throttle body, modded air mass meter, free-flow intake and exhaust.
Clutch/trans - stock is ok.
Suspension - poly bushes all 'round, sway bars, chassis braces, adjustable gas shocks, sport springs, 16"X7" wheels with 215/55/16 summer rubber.

Now the rich uncle dies...

Engine swap to B230FT+ and true 5-speed. MegaSquirt with full performance parameter control, locker, HID's, 5-point belts...

George Dill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its my daily driver and yesir I can do my own wrenchin'. I have another vehicle to use if I need more time instaling parts... Im Ordering the high flow starla exhaust unless told differently. I want to know what u guys are using and maybe a couple of reviews. This 240 will be kept for a LONG time. maybe rallyed latter on. It will also be making a drive back to the east coast in January. Im not going to Lower it but I am going to harden up the suspension. Its a 5 speed and is getting a new clutch next month.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Its my daily driver and yesir I can do my own wrenchin'. I have another vehicle to use if I need more time instaling parts... Im Ordering the high flow starla exhaust unless told differently. I want to know what u guys are using and maybe a couple of reviews. This 240 will be kept for a LONG time. maybe rallyed latter on. It will also be making a drive back to the east coast in January. Im not going to Lower it but I am going to harden up the suspension. Its a 5 speed and is getting a new clutch next month.
Good show - let's roll!

Here is a starter kit...

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=26609

Please keep us updated on your progress to include pics please.

Thanks.

George Dill

George Dill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey George any good starter places for my 2.3L non turbo? lol all im seeing is turbo

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Hey George any good starter places for my 2.3L non turbo? lol all im seeing is turbo
Indeed - click on the white 240 wagon...

http://www.ipdusa.com/prodtypemodelbrowser.asp

...then stroll among all the 240 stuff available from/through ipd.

Once you get a list of goodies/things of interest to you let us know and we will post up some sources and how-tos.

Here are some mods that are easily reversed and add small performance improvements but add up over time...

- Modified air box (remove thermo and flap) to include re-route of pre-heat hose.
- Remove screens from mass air meter (but be ABSOLUTELY certain of NO intake air leaks anywhere!).
- The Starla exhaust from your UPS truck (not easily reversed).
- Free-flow air filter (if you use a K&N unit never over-oil).

After installing the new clutch and running a few miles re-adjust the cluth cable to be certain of full engage/disengage at pedal travel limits.

Since the drivetrain on your 240 is pretty robust it can handle all that extra 3.5 horsepower (up from 114hp) just be sure the suspension, steering and brakes are all in good order.

Next - street cam, larger throttle body, adjustable timing gear, alternator pulley swap...

George Dill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how would i do this? Modified air box (remove thermo and flap) to include re-route of pre-heat hose?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also Im planning on just running Bosch Plugs wires and cap rotor... basic stuff for maintence

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also Im planning on just running Bosch Plugs wires and cap rotor... basic stuff for maintence
Skip the Bosch plug wires. Bougicord last far longer. This is communal wisdom in many circles. But, in a pinch, I put Bosch wires on my sisters VW Fox, and one of the wires was bad straight out of the box. That's a pain to chase when your initial assumption is,"The wires are brand new, so they shouldn't be why it is running on 3 cylinders."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So exhaust is on filters in screens in my MAF are out... Oh it moves. also removed a load of weight the Cat back exhaust dropped some weight and lost the tow package also. feels like a little faster care. Sounds amazing too. now im doing the Cam next.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
So exhaust is on filters in screens in my MAF are out... Oh it moves. also removed a load of weight the Cat back exhaust dropped some weight and lost the tow package also. feels like a little faster care. Sounds amazing too. now im doing the Cam next.
As soon as practical remove the accordion hose between the MAF and TB and fill it with cold water then check for pinhole leaks.

Be absolutely certain the entire intake system has no leaks and ALL intake air passes through the air filter.

Thanks.

George Dill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So i capped the reheat hose and now have two cold air intakes... that are in the front apron holes. im going to make them look better but for now they are serving the purpose... awsome how much ya can get out of small changes... well i was wondering if i should not worry about the street cam n such if im going to Swap out for a B230FT.... is this a straight unbolt and bolt operation or changing wireing and exhaust n such? also am i going to need a new CPU?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
B230f To B230FT

Will the 1990 740 B230FT Drop right into My 1990 240 DL? Bolt right on so to speak?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
So i capped the reheat hose and now have two cold air intakes... that are in the front apron holes. im going to make them look better but for now they are serving the purpose... awsome how much ya can get out of small changes... well i was wondering if i should not worry about the street cam n such if im going to Swap out for a B230FT.... is this a straight unbolt and bolt operation or changing wireing and exhaust n such? also am i going to need a new CPU?
Depends - what year/model is the donor B230FT engine?

George Dill

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Will the 1990 740 B230FT Drop right into My 1990 240 DL? Bolt right on so to speak?
Yes.

Use EVERYTHING from the 740 - all wiring, sensors, controls, switches, ecu, trans (unless automatic), etc.

Yoy will need to run with the 740 Ox sensor(s) and controls to pass smog inspection.

George Dill

·
Registered
568 Posts
Actually, you'll want to use all the 240 harness rather than any of the 740. The 240 has separate fuel and ignition harnesses; the 740 combined 'em and makes for a bit tougher work. If you use the stock injectors in the turbo motor, you will need a resistor pack as they are low z injectors. The n/a motors use a high rez injector. I put a 94 940T motor into my 89 245...was no trouble at all. For clutch upgrades, try clutchnet.com They have a variety of options. Honestly, as none of this may ever happen, suffice it to know it can be done. There are adapter kits to put a WC T5 transmission behind a redblock, V8 conversions, turbo motor installs, all sort of options. Some folks even hang a turbo on to the n/a motors and run low boost but not something I would do.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,286 Posts
How much did the Walker exhaust set you back and where did you order it from?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How much did the Walker exhaust set you back and where did you order it from?
I ended up just going with a CAT-back Magna Flow... removed the mufflers and just have a single can in the rear. was only 100 bucks for the can and then the labor n stuff brought it ot 200... and i removed thr tow package

1 - 20 of 25 Posts