SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always on the hunt for repairable Volvos. Just a hobby I guess. For all the S40 / V50 owners out there please consider replacing your accessory belts. Here's why (and I hope this isn't old news).

I just bought a 2007 S40 T5 AWD with 105K on it. The accessory belt broke and pieces of it got all hung up in the crank gear causing the timing belt to slip out of synch with the camshafts. The car was basically at idle when this happened - so I am going to reset the timing and do a leakdown test to see if I get lucky and no valves are bent. If not, then I will have to pull the head.

When I bought the car and it was described to me as the accessory belt broke causing the TBelt to slip - I didn't believe it - but since I have started to take a closer look - that's exactly what happened!

So please consider replacing these belts - it could save you a MAJOR problem down the road.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Doesn't even need to be something like that. A quite common fault is the standard cambelt to simply jump a few teeth. Happend here a few days ago in a well serviced C30 T5. Volvo seems to have quite a few problems with their cams. As I did my Mum's S80 2.0T (5 cylinder softturbo) I was quite shocked as I saw how easy it is to move the tensioner. It is a soft spring loaded tensioner... My old Volvo 960 had a hydraulic tensioner which could only be compressed with heavy duty tooling... And that had so much tension, that you couldn't even move the belt a little bit...

Again, I am really really really happy, that my C30 has a chain and no cambelt...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Doesn't even need to be something like that. A quite common fault is the standard cambelt to simply jump a few teeth. Happend here a few days ago in a well serviced C30 T5. Volvo seems to have quite a few problems with their cams. As I did my Mum's S80 2.0T (5 cylinder softturbo) I was quite shocked as I saw how easy it is to move the tensioner. It is a soft spring loaded tensioner... My old Volvo 960 had a hydraulic tensioner which could only be compressed with heavy duty tooling... And that had so much tension, that you couldn't even move the belt a little bit...

Again, I am really really really happy, that my C30 has a chain and no cambelt...

sorry to ask, does the S40 T5 (2006) FWD comes with chain too?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Nope. Only 2 engines have only a chain and they are the 2.0l and 1.8l 4 cylinders available all over the world except for North America ;)

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Bought my 2.4i the exact same way. Almost that same mileage as well. Accessory belt will definitely take out the timing belt in many cases.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought my 2.4i the exact same way. Almost that same mileage as well. Accessory belt will definitely take out the timing belt in many cases.
Bent valves on yours? I'm really hoping that since it was at idle I may get lucky...

Pretty sad tho' that an accessory belt can basically take out a motor. :eek:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
That is totally normal, that an accessory belt can take out motors... They use the same belt drive end and sometimes even parts. The best I have seen though was a car with cambelt powering everything at once...

Water pump, air con compressor, altenator, camshafts, crankshaft: all powered by a cambelt. Was really impressed as I saw that but the belt was something like 6 feet long! :eek:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm afraid so.
Ahhh...

I fully expected to have to do the head - but wouldn't it have been nice. I'll reset the timing and give it a go - nothing really to lose.

In my opinion, the acc belt should never be able to make contact with the crank gear even if it completely shreds - that's just bad design.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Sucks, I will be checking my belts later today now.

So we do have an interference engine then (believe that's what its called when the valves and piston can touch when off timing)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Sucks, I will be checking my belts later today now.

So we do have an interference engine then (believe that's what its called when the valves and piston can touch when off timing)
All engines with multiple valves per cylinder are interference engines. As soon as it has either twin cams (DOHC) or rockers and Valves sitting left and right (i.e. valves which cross eachothers opening areas). Or even easier: as soon as the valves are angled (don't open vertically but on an angle) the engine is an interference engine. The last engine where the cambelt can snap and the engine won't interfere, was the B230FT/FK in the 940 offered until 1997. After that ALL engines are interference versions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a very common problem w/ the p1's just last week had 2 come in w/ this same problem, s40 and a c30. A lot of it happens when people pull to far forward onto a curb and turn there car off. The undershield gets pushed into the ac compressor and when they go to start it, resistance from the curb on the compressor prevents it for turning and just tears the drive belt and gets sucked into the crank pulley and there goes ur valves. The motor sits too low if u ask me. Ive also replaced tons of oil pans and ac compressors. I've also installed a lot of the thick aluminum skid plates which seam to help. But recently I've run across couple of p1's w/ the aluminum skid plates w/ a groan or scratching noise coming from front end, which its turning out to be a bad rt. side hydraulic motor mont letting the motor sit on the skid plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
so question ! so on a 2.4i ( aka non-turbo ) when should you to the timing belt on these motors ( cant find that info ) thanks !!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
so question ! so on a 2.4i ( aka non-turbo ) when should you to the timing belt on these motors ( cant find that info ) thanks !!
Look in your service book. It SHOULD be written in there :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm always on the hunt for repairable Volvos. Just a hobby I guess. For all the S40 / V50 owners out there please consider replacing your accessory belts. Here's why (and I hope this isn't old news).

I just bought a 2007 S40 T5 AWD with 105K on it. The accessory belt broke and pieces of it got all hung up in the crank gear causing the timing belt to slip out of synch with the camshafts. The car was basically at idle when this happened - so I am going to reset the timing and do a leakdown test to see if I get lucky and no valves are bent. If not, then I will have to pull the head.

When I bought the car and it was described to me as the accessory belt broke causing the TBelt to slip - I didn't believe it - but since I have started to take a closer look - that's exactly what happened!

So please consider replacing these belts - it could save you a MAJOR problem down the road.
I have the unfortunate fate that this have happened to me . Took mine in last week. No compression . I hope it's just the timing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This thread still alive ?
Just had this happen on my 76k mile c30 r

belt broke and got sucked into the timing belt case

doesn’t sound like any compression during first attempt at starting after it happened during idle out of a parking lot on a slight slope

should I assume the worst

haven’t replaced anything yet just getting into this mess today

I have the unfortunate fate that this have happened to me . Took mine in last week. No compression . I hope it's just the timing.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
How much grief am I going to get from the volvo dealership if I had a new engine and timing belt kit installed at the same time at the dealership and before the current published schedule of 120k the timing belt breaks? Taking bets now - lifetime warranty and all....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts